Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Real Ale
26 Posts
the main local brews are of the pilsner/larger tye beer things like smith / tetlys in kegs can be found jim may correct me but as far as i am aware real ale is not made/available in the island
Its not generally available in the bars...but while you are in Deryneia buying that ring ;) you could stock up...its just round the corner from the jewellers...

http://www.easterncyprus.com/viewtopic.php?t=5716&view=next&sid=a70f759c7d891c44220263f74dad1d65

Ady
You'll be lucky!

Carrefour supermarkets had Bishop's Finger, Spitfire, Whitstable Ale and Newcastle Brown last year.
Course they do - D'Oh! - and many others!

Nice one Mark :)
thanks for the replies

john smiths and tetleys will surfice for regular my drinking habbits

and i do like spitfire and bishops finger

the supermarket here i come

i dont like lagers or pilsners i would rather drink pop
From memory, there is a micro-brewery in Limassol.

Mark
You can buy real ale here, well in Pafos where I live, a local pub sells it's own real beer they make locally, but I cant say I honestly like it, Cypriots drink Keo or more the popular these days locally brewed Carlsberg, all are lager types, but they are sold ice cold and this is more important here as you will find out, Leon beer is also sold this is more like UK bitter, I think drain water taste better but of course this will depend on your taste, as you will only be here for a week or two I should swallow your taste buds and drink what we locals drink..
  • Edited by jimbox 2007-06-18 04:03:21
i will try the local brews jimbox

but i'm not much for lager type beers
That's all you will get in most Med countries as you probably know. I love decent beer but you learn to adapt, and as I said you will not worry you will be so thirsty and hot you would drink anything cold!!!!

Jim
And the good thing is the water is not only safe to drink but taste good too....no chlorine..
Hi all. The wife and I are traveling to Paphos on the 27th June and have pulled out all the stops this year; we are going All-inclusive! Nice, but we are not sure what the local brews are, as local brews are what are included. So, guys and gals, those of you who are the experts on Cyprus can you suggest/list what we will be drinking, please?

Being holiday makers to Spain for the past few years we do like our Bacardi and coke, is Bacardi bottled on the isalnd?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can supply.
keo is the main supplier of spirits in own brand form.. i know the whisky is blended and bottled in Scotland,the main local brandy's are keo & soddop
[i find soddop a little too sweet] the premium brand is keo five kings,i have seen Bacardi/captain Morgans/and other international brands but they don't usually turn up on the AI list, some good quality red & white[dry] wine is also available
Is Bacardi available here?, I just bought three 1 liter bottles for £16 (all of them) booze on the island (proper makes) is very cheap here...if you go for locally made stuff then you will not believe how cheap it is..

At 6.30am today it 85f... :sun just thought I would let you know...
Just thought I'd let YOU know, Jim:

5:45 am - East Midlands, UK - took the hound for a walk in sandals, shorts n t-shirt. Glorious sunshine! (But will it last, I ask myself?!)
Mark I hope it does, sun shines on the righteous and anyone who lives in Cyprus, hope to see you this year?

By the way no contest on the heat front, it is b====y warm for June, and no water this is worrying.
why no water Jimbox???
Why no water?, because of the lack of rain over the last twelve month's, it really is bad as a trip to any Cypriot dam will show you, we are all expecting a very hot dry summer, in fact the local radio is warning of a heat wave conditions, at it is already very hot for this time of the year, I am not an advocate of plastic water but we are buying it just in case the fresh supply is disconnected completely..we are now having daily disconnection in our village several hours at a time!.

Kouris Dam Nr Limassol last week!! picture by KG on CyprusLiving.

http://cyprusliving.org/photogallery/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/10002/normal_IMG_1135%20%28600%20x%20450%29.jpg

The brown line is the normal height of the Dam water..so don't waste it when you are here!!
  • Edited by jimbox 2007-06-20 11:57:14
Blimey, Kouris looks lower than last September.
http://upload8.postimage.org/925551/PICT0205.jpg
Looks like bottled water this year. :roll:

Jim, we are over as usual in September (first 2 weeks - 1 week in Larnaca, 1 week in Pissouri).
Will be in touch.

Mark
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.