UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Rent a Car
14 Posts
Hi Lluis ... are you thinking about city locations or airport locations, and how long are you considering hiring for ? One-way rental fees can vary widely, depending on duration of the hire.

David :wave
Well my idea is to take it in Newcastle (downtown) and leave it in Glasgow downtown or prestwick airport (not international airport). Hope this helps. Ahand as I've never driven on the left i want full insurance :)
How many days rental ?

Sorry forgot to tell that too :) It'll be 3 days. from thursday to saturday arround 14 each day.
Hi Lluis .. I have had a quick look and the only companies I can find which would offer instant quotes for one way rentals on a 3 day hire between Newcastle and Glasgow or Prestwick are:

Alamo
Avis
Europcar
Hertz
National

Prices range from £78 to £110 including the one way rental fee. That also included insurance, but some do still have a non-waiveable excess. National were the cheapest for the random dates which I selected, but that may differ according to which dates you select. With other companies, quotes for one way rentals on a 3 day hire between those locations were on request only.

Lluis ... just looking at your last post again:
It'll be 3 days. from thursday to saturday arround 14 each day.

If you complete the rental within the period 1400hrs Thursday to 1400hrs Saturday, that would in fact only be a 2 day rental, so it would be worth trying each of those links again for a new quote with your proposed dates. The rental charge should obviously decrease, but the one way drop off fee may increase.

ohh i missityped i'm from 16th september to 19th september to beexactly :)
from 16th september to 19th september to beexactl

Well that is some coincidence, because those were the random dates that I selected for the online quotes !! :yikes
I make 16th September a Wednesday

for comparison, there is a direct train from Newcastle to Glasgow at 13:51 and at the moment there are still some standard class tickets at £9.55 although they be won't be around for long and you might have to pay £15 (or £60 on the day). What was the plan for using the car?
Steve my plan was from newcastle to Isle of Skye be arround there and then go to glasgow to take my flight back :)
The Isle of Skye is a long way from Newcastle, to the first village on the island is 500km. My route planner says allow 7½ hours (not including breaks). Getting back to central Glasgow (300km) will take nearly 5 hours and straight back to Prestwick Airport (330km) is closer to 5½ hours.

The train idea won't work for this. I was hoping you were going to say that you'd stay in Glasgow and go out to Loch Lomond or somewhere close on the middle days.
To Lluis and anyone else considering hiring a car, please just be aware that the availability problems widely reported at many overseas holiday destinations this year are also now reported to be affecting parts of the UK ... please click here.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.