Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Hi Jinco

What sort of food/budget do you have. For evening we have a list of restaurants we would not miss. Depends where you are staying but the area near the Paphos Amathus hotel at the "triangle" you could try Napoleon or Rimini two not too expensive places but if you want luxury restaurants try Cavalini which is along from the Paphos Amathus towards the Athena Beach or try Metaxas which is out on the Tomb of the Kings road - it has changed hands though so I would welcome some info on this too for our return to Paphos in July. There are also lots of fantastic places to try Meze at very reasonable prices. Cloe's is great for Chinese food too.
From my experience you would be quite unlucky to have a really bad meal in Paphos. It all depends on your budget really.

Trish
Hi

Depends where you are staying really. If you are in Kato Paphos there are countless taverna style places which offer pretty much the same kind of menus. There are some "fancy" places for special occassions (or if you are loaded!!) such as Pavarottis which is near the Alexander the Great Hotel. From personal experience (2002), we visited a few places that we would definately go back to, namely the Alkion ( opposite the Robin Hood pub on Bar Street) and Trata ( on a side street just off Bar street). Snacks wise, the O Bar is pretty good for omelettes/breakfast and is next to the Rose Pub (which does a pretty good "full English") and is in the street that runs up the side of Macdonalds. There was a fish and chip place near here as well called Mouvlias (i think) if that takes your fancy!. there is also a Pizza Hut but I dont tend to go to places like this when abroad. The best lunch we had was in a snack bar called Nostos (while watching the World Cup Final)

There are other areas which others may have more experience of such as Tomb of the Kings Road area and Coral Bay but I didnt spend much time there.

Jamie
Thanks Trish,

I guess we would probably eat 5 nights out of the 7 somewhere with moderate prices & 2 nights somewhere a bit more expensive.

I would prefer not to be faced with a menu full of chips. We love Italian food but would be keen to try out some typical cypriot resturants.
Try Michael's - take the turning opposite Alexander the Great Hotel. Food and people are lovely and a couple of nights a week (I think Tuesday and Friday) they do great lamb kleftico and suckling pig. We try to visit Michaels at least a couple of times each time we are in Paphos.

In the opposite direction is Caravelle - along Tomb of the Kings road, past St Georges hotel, but before Coral Bay - good food big portions.

If you want something traditional, my friend's in-laws have a restaurant called Myrra Tavern - a lot of locals use it (which is a good recommendation) and they only do mezes, but its lovely - its in the old town, so about 5 mins in a taxi (all taxi drivers know it), but its only open in the evenings.

Enjoy!
The Karlina on the Tombs of the kings road-between the venus beach hotel and the tombs of the kings isn't expensive and the staff are fab...Harry is the owner.
In Coral Bay try the Arithea retaurant. George is a fab bloke...he's into only fools and horses sayings!!!. He is the owner and chef and his moussaka is to die for!!
We go on a Monday night which is Greek night and great fun.
In Coral Bay there are various restarants which are all good

Enjoy

Luv Tracey...xxx
Opposite Michaels is Zaza, our favourite. I can also recommend Manhattans which can be entered frm Bar street and Posiedon Avenue (harbour road).

Along Tomb of the Kings Road, I'd go for Sisyfous and Raffles. Sisyfous does the best desserts.

If you have a vehicle, I'd recommend taking a drive to the Akamaas region. There you'll find perched atop a large hill a taverna called Viklari. This is the most peaceful place to have lunch. The menu is always the same, chicken or pork. It's where I can totaly relax under a roof of vines and bunches of grapes.

Also if you're in paphos market you'll find a cobblers with a large cowboy boot hanging outside. If you walk away from the market towards the boot, cross over to the opposite side, near the supermarket you'll find a small sign on a door frame pointing towards a garden. Enter and you'll walk through the owner's kitchen to a small courtyard. It couldn't be described in anyway as luxurious but the family are very friendly and are probably the only ones in paphos that do not speak much English, apart from beer, coffee, kebab. We love it.

There are almost 700 restaurants and bars in the Paphos region.
:lol:
The words 'spoiled for choice' spring to mind!

Have a look at the Paphos Post site where there is a section on Restaurants with loads of recommendations, suggestions etc. My favourites are Zazas (mentioned in the previous post), and Sienna which is located in Chloraka. Sienna is a little more expensive than most places but the food is superb - follow TOTK Road out of Paphos and look for the Azia Hotel (Sienna is located in a small row of bars/restaurants next to Azia). For lunch you can't go wrong at Sunset which is about 15km from Paphos (past Coral Bay), just before you turn towards the Lara Bay. Kebabs in Pitta Bread exquisite (and cheap), cooked on a barbecue at the back of the restaurant. In Coral Bay itself, you should try the Adria - a top quality restaurant with good service, and great food.

Basically, you can't go wrong!

Mike
Hi i was wondering if anyone had heard of the atlantida restaurant and whether anyone has eaten there. I like the look of the restaurant for my wedding reception and there rates are pretty reasonable.

Thanks everyone
Leanne
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere to go for dinner in Paphos. We are getting married on 5th July and would like to go somewhere the night before. We have around 45 guest. We would like somewhere it sells international cuisine :?: .
Thanx,
Claire. :D
For that many people and choice of food I'd recommend Manhattans. But book, obviously. It does a wide range of international and local cuisine. The fish is superb, I can recommend the lamb to start with. the staff are very friendly. They have the biggest pepper grinders in Paphos!!

Several years ago a friend has his wedding dinner there. We go back every time, this year it will be between 4-18 June.

You could also try Zaza.

Have a great time. Let me know if you use it and how you get on.
Just to let you know we had our 1st anniversary meal at Manhattans and it was lovely. Staff were very attentive
Sal
You might like to try Tratoria la Vigna, which us just past the Annabelle Hotel, on the opposite site of the road. They also have a second restaurant in Coral Bay. and they are both recommended.
The owner has family in the UK.....if you've ever eaten at Lanterns, in Plymouth, you'll have met some of his relatives!
Hi all, I'm new to the board and off to Paphos in a few weeks, staying at the Cypria Maris hotel but looking for some good restaurants on recommendation to try.

Would be grateful for any information you can pass on.

*Italics removed - Glynis*
To be honest recommending restaurants is very difficult because it could always be the chiefs night off, best to have look along the harbour road if you are walking from that hotel...there are some good eating places opposite the Annabelle Hotel...the Adelaide is ok but not fancy just good honest food and a fixed price menu...by the way there is an excellent ladies hairdresser in the Cypria Maris her name is Maro, if you need a shampoo and set tell her Jim Cross recommended you...guaranteed a free coffee...lovely Cypriot lady and one of the best Ladies hairdressers in Cyprus.. I am the best gents hairdresser..now retired.. 8)

have a good stay here!!
Thanks Jim, appreciate the reply. Have been to Paphos several times before but not for some years.

Also, as a local, you may be able to answer my next question also - Is the watch store called Mediterranean still there in Paphos?, think the guy who ran it was called Mike.
If it is on the harbour road then I think he is still in business...near the ''Oassin'' cafe...well next door if I remember, did he not host the *Paphos Post* web cam some years ago...I am sure it was him..

Jim
Hi Imelda

You've chosen a good hotel. It's defininately in one of the best parts of Paphos with a lovely zero entry pool. It opened about 2 years ago when we stayed at the Athena. There are lots of excellent restaurants along the main road towards the harbour. The Rib Shack was a particular favourite of ours. Just a bit further up the road on the opposite side is 'the triangle' and there are some great places to eat here too. The Seagull down by the harbour was lovely for fresh Sea Bass and there's a fantastic Chinese opposite, Chloe's I think. You'll be spoiled for choice, but take lots of spending money with you as its got so expensive. Have a lovely holiday.

Janice
On this point of cost's, try and get away from the tourist area's if you have transport, you will save a lot of money eating out...you will not have far to go to find great food at more than reasonable prices, and what the locals would eat too...much better food and half the price...
Jim
Where would you suggest that is away from Tourist area?We are going in 2 weeks time and always hire a car. Any names/address of good traditional greek places would be useful.
Thanks
kpkags
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.