Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
mrfrostie,

You got a good deal on your flights there. Who's that with? The resort depends on your preference and what you want out of the holiday. Personally, I'm not keen on Marmaris and much prefer Icmeler but there's plenty of resorts to choose from. You might find members Resort Reports useful. If you do a forum search, you'll find plenty of recent threads comparing and advising on resorts. Depending on the resort, restaurant prices are reasonable. One thing Turkey doesn't lack is good restaurants! You should be able to find something to suit every budget. It's personal preference if you want to go All Inclusive, half board or B&B really. All I would say is do a little research on the hotel or apartments before you go. A cheap all inclusive is cheap for a reason! We have Hotel Reviews on here and members have lots of experience on a wide range of places.

Darren
Hi Darren Yep flying with good old favourites EasyJet - flights now showing around £126 without luggage from Stansted think it was so cheap because its on the cusp of their summer/winter schedule - flying on 26th September,
We like Calis Beach stayed there at Golden Moon a few years back also go into the city for good cheap eats!
If it was me I would go B&B, you can always find somewhere cheap to eat in Turkey. If you go AI or Half Board and don't like the food you will then have to pay out again for food. As Darren says cheap AI is cheap for a reason, you wont get good quality at a budget price.
mrfrostie
what about doing self catering and rent an apartment or villa, if there are 4 of you + it works out quite well and alot of them include extra like free airport transfers etc.
or even try a turkish pension mostly family owned and run great experience
http://www.gurhaymotel.dienn.com
:sun2
There are so many good restaurants with reasonable prices in Turkey so it should be easy to live within your budget if you go B & B or self-catering. If you are in an apartment you can always buy food in a supermarket for your lunch, sometimes really nice to have a long lunch on the balcony with a bottle of wine or couple of beers and will save money as well!
Despite some newspaper reports we didnt find prices much different last year, although you will notice quite an increase since 5 years ago. Still excellent value compared to the Eurozone.
I'm intrigued as to why you said you'd never go back?
If you give more details of what's important to you regarding a resort, for example do you like a sandy beach, large & lively or maybe quiet and laid-back, you should get some good suggestions from other members.
Hi all thanks for the replies -really useful. We thought we wouldn't go back to Turkey because it had we thought got expensive but this was in Bodrum and Altinkum. We also discovered Goa ! it was cheaper to get and spend 2 weeks there- also there were'nt so many budget airlines flying to Turkey back then.
We like quiet with a good choice of bars, scenic and not too many children or lager fuelled British tourists Ovacik Calis and Icmeler are probably preferable to Marmaris!
Along with the resorts you know already, you may want to look at Dalyan, Akyaka or Turunc. All meet your requirements - the quietest being Akyaka which is very scenic, lovely beach but quite spread out. The biggest of the three is Dalyan which is also very scenic, on the river with a boat ride to the beautiful beach. Turunc is in a bay, quite small in a spectacular setting with more than enough restaurants for a fortnights holiday. There are great boat trips available from all of them. None of them attract the lager louts!
Hi there and well done for getting your flights for such a good price.
I have mentioned Datca on here a few times and a few people have tried it out and told me they loved it. No mass package tourism, small harbour town and set on a peninsula of outstanding natural beauty. Its another hour through the mountains from Marmaris. You can either rent a car or get a transfer from the airport for around 75 pounds each way. In September you could wait until you get there and find a hotel or use a search engine to find one. There are a few apartments and villas, some owned by Brits for rent, look on places such as villarenters. If you want contacts for transfers please ask as we have used a few.
If you have a fortnight why not do a 2 center holiday, maybe Turunc and Datca.
Mr. Frostie. As i've said in other topics, eating out in Turkey is as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. The places we've eaten in, in Altinkum were excellent value for money and not that expensive. As Kedi has said, B & B is the best way to go. I agree with you about Ovacik and Icmeler, have you considered Kalkan ? Kalkan is no good for you if you have walking difficulties but if you don't, then I recommend Hotel Nur, it has its own website.

Les
Icmeler seem to be the cheapest resort for eating out ,probably because there are so many good restaurants,the prices are competitive.
Its the only resort I have been to on a B&B basis and every meal was excellent.
The hardest part is deciding which restaurant to go to each night. :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.