Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Samos please
23 Posts
I am going there on 13 September so will let you know. Friends have been and said it is really nice. We are staying in Pythagorian.
Hi! That's the area that appeals to us, so I'll be very interested to read your post. Thanks
We are also booked Crete and Santorina for next year. So I am also thinking ahead for 2009 love the Greek islands so you are not the only sad one.
Off to Kos in 32 days can't wait
Hi redjoe, we've been to Kardamena in Kos & Kos Town. Where are you staying? We also went to Santorini for 2 weeks last year staying at Kamari. Zante is another favourite of ours - we've stayed in Argassi & Laganas. My sister also loves Corfu - we haven't been. We went to Mexico this year. It was a fantastic holiday but we had to book Greece for next year. I don't know what it is about the place but we're hooked for life.
Helen T Pythagorian can be very busy as there are lots of restaurants and a few bars along the water front, if you dont want the noise i would suggest staying just outside the town so you can walk in at night thats what we did, and we enjoyed both our stays.
Hi Helen, We are staying just outside of Kos town earlier in the year we were in Tingaki and loved it. Love the greek islands favorite are Rhodes, corfu and Zante we have also been to Kefalonia. Next year it is 25 wedding anniversary and we are staying at Taramix del mar hotel in kamari and can't wait. Also looking forward to Crete where we are staying at the Christina apartments in Rethymnon.
Places on future wish lists are Samos, Halkidiki and Skaithos. :lol:
Borismab - where exactly did you stay - we like plenty to do but we also like to sleep at night.
Redjoe- we're staying at the Socrates11 apartments in Stalis next August, and are already looking at Samos for 09. Santorini will be fab for your silver wedding. It's a very romantic island. Kamari is very restaurant based and we spent some beautiful evenings eating along the waterfront watching the beautiful sunsets. Anything I can help you with just ask. We covered the whole island using the local bus and hiring motorbikes.
Thanks Helen, We are really looking forward to Santorini next year and we shall use the local buses as the island looks relatively small. I do so much research on my holidays before I book I almost feel I've been there before, but I love the searching and I feel I should become a travel agent as all my friends always leave the holiday booking to me.
Same here, my sister & I spend weeks pouring over brochures & many hours glued to the internet.
Helen T we stayed at the anthis apts its about a 20 min stroll into pythagorion
Thanks for that Boris mab will take a look!
there are are a few more places that way on and dont be put off by them being near the airport as you dont hear any noise from it
We stayed at Kambos a few years ago. it has a few bars abd restaurants. maybe this will suit. no too large a resort.
Good morning
You are invited to ask me anything regarding Samos, resorts, history, beach-sides, etc.
Except been Greek, it's one of my favourites. In case you want to see infos for almost all hotels visit this page:
http://www.wiw.gr/index.php?tabnum=1&section=directory&keywords=SAMOS&language=english
Well Greece for the first time actually. Off to Samos for a holiday very soon and wondered if anyone can help with a few queries. A friend raved about the place and said we must try it so here goes.

Here are my questions:

Do UK mobiles work ok in Samos?

Are there many ATMs or money exchanges in Samos? Are they ok / safe?

What is it like for mosquitoes?

Are there good chemists / pharmacies for assorted medical supplies or do I need to pack the bathroom cabinet?

Do I need to pack anything that we take for granted? Or any tips on useful things to take? Someone has suggested I take a good tin opener for instance.

We've booked this at very short notice and it's going to be a real adventure.

Also, we have stopovers at Athens airport one not so long and the other very long any tips on what to do at this airport and anything I need to be aware of?

Can't wait ......

:hyper
hi Adabells yes uk mobiles do work on Samos just check with your uk operator that you have international roaming set up though, there are atm`s in Pythagorion that i know of (have used these), and the chemists are ok just look for a green cross above the door we never noticed the mozzies the 2 times we went to Samos.
Good morning Adabells

For mobiles I think you received infos from borismab

For Pharmacies and ATM's look at main posts as it is for everybody's help

For Mozzies: The travel section of the Sunday Times are recommending a new 100% natural sray made with citronella and eucalyptus. It apparently hides the human pheromones, that can attract the mozzies from up to 1km away. It smells more pleasant than some products do as well. The company selling it are called Incognito, website: http://www.incognitome.co.uk It is priced at £8.99.

Something usefull you must always have in your bag is an ammonia stick for wasp, bees and jelly-fish stings

Also, buy and use at sea cheap plastic shoes, read my other post regarding dangerous creatures at sea

Enjoy your holidays in Samos........is one of the most beautifull islands and do not forget to visit "Efpalinio orygma"
Borismab and Skyllis

Thanks for your replies very helpful getting quite excited now as fly out this week.

Do you know are there Internet cafes in Samos like in other holdiay places? I assume there are. Although I think we are staying in some remoter places we have a car booked and will use local bus to explore.

Last year on hols we found it cheaper to email friends and family than to call them on mobiles. They got email postcards too. We really only use the mobiles for emergency back up etc nowadays.

I have seen your other postings Skyllis - all very useful thanks again.

Regards, Adabells 8)
I loved Samos, as it was not victim to commercial damage of the "football shirt" brigade !
Now I fear people worried about "will my mobile work" on Samos instead of what the island has to offer will spoil it :x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.