Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Sanur- my stay
10 Posts
Thanks Fiona for your wonderful Sanur report, I was with you every step. We also preferred the Griya area to that of the Puri.

I struggled with the food this year in Bali and found everyone had the same menu and a variation of the same theme. Perhaps this is because we eat a lot of Asian food at home. If you checked my pantry/fridge you'd swear I was Asian :D

We don't go to up market restaurants... I have yet to drag his nibs for breaky at La Lucciola, he's not a breaky person and says 'cornflake still same' however, in saying that he's definitely going next May. The weekend is apparently better as they have a full menu.

I'm off now to find your your photos.

Cheers Geri
same here geri- an everyday meal is from the Far East for us :rofl
You are away ahead of me - the photos have not been loaded yet. I have Ubud and its hotel to do first and then they will get done. Have family coming round today though so goodness knows when it will all be done :)
It's interesting the Brits call it the Far East but for us in the Antipodes it's called South East Asia. Also, I've noticed from UK tv programs and from my experience when back in the UK that Asians are generally from India. For Australians if someone says Asian we usually mean Chinese. Of course we are both right... it's all about migration.

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos. I know of someone on my Bali forum who today has asked if anyone had stayed at the Griya is the last couple of weeks. She was asking for photos of the renovated garden rooms and pictures of the fish pond which has been made into a pool. It would be great if you had the photos so I direct her on HT.

I'm useless at loading photos, I have tried and failed.

Cheers Geri
The renovations were being done in a closed off area. We only saw two pools- are you saying they are having 3? I didnt take photos of any other room apart from ours I'm afraid although in the main garden area next to the pool we probably do have some- they didn't look as if they had just been in the last couple of months though.
Hi Fiona,

Glad you enjoyed the Griya Santrian. We tried to book this hotel at the end of September / early October but we were unable to get rooms (any type). This also applied to the Puri Santrian - I believe that it was because of the Grand prix in Singapore and visitors taking a break immediately before and after the Grand Prix in Bali!

We also think that Mings is a great restaurant. We had a meal there for Janet's birthday, last October. They produced a birthday cake and put on a show for her - and to top it all the food was great.

It is interesting that you preferred the position of the Griya S to the Puri S. We thought that the PS was just tucked just a bit too far down the coast. We fancied a change of location to the other side of the Hyatt.

As we will be doing Thailand next (in place of Bali) and then Vietnam and Cambodia in the New Year, we will probably give Bali a miss next year (shame - it is a great location for a September / October break).

:offtop Anyone know much about Zanzibar in Sept / Oct ? :whoops

Peter
we saw the preparations for the Grand Prix in Singapore and think it will be a huge event. I'm not surprised that Bali would be booked up then. Singapore, whilst nice, is not a destination for your whole holiday IMO.
We did choose the Griya originally for a change but have to say we spent as much time down around the PS this stay as round about our own hotel in the evenings. I think it has just encouraged us not to be so lazy and take transport to the other end. We just fell into staying close by our hotel before this holiday.
Still havent made it up to the places at the Bypass but that just gives us other new venues for our next trip. Have been meaning to try the Jazz place and the Arena.
Griya photos now in Bali album here :)
Hi Fiona

Thanks for the photos they were lovely. I recognized the beautiful plant pots around the grounds I would have loved to have shipped some home.

I understand the fish pond in the middle of the garden wing is being transformed into a swimming pool, last seen as large hole in the ground. So sounds like a third pool.

Bali is absolutely booming by all accounts and almost back to how is used to be before the terrorist attacks and reports of double booking and shunting people to other hotels on arrival. We've had to book our hotels almost a year in advance for May 09. Fortunately, these hotels allocate rooms on booking and so far haven't turned anyone away on arrival... well not yet anyway.

You can always make Melbourne your destination as we have the Grand Prix too :-)
Melbourne is a possible 2010 destination :)
Re the Griya- I should have been a bit more nosey and investigated the work going on. :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.