Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Sanur nightlife
59 Posts
Hi Fiona
I've just posted about the Cat and the Fiddle further down... I hear that's a great night. Cheers Geri
yes- I remember the Cat and Fiddle from the first time we went. It was popular. We went a few times for a drink but its not really a place I would spend a long time at.
I think we need to taxi and go further into Sanur and investigate- we were far too "laid back" the first time! :lol:
We stayed in Sanur this year at the Puri Santrian and found most of the nightlife to be a little further away away from the hotel, up past the Bali Hyatt. We used to get on of the little green taxis up the road and then take a slow walk back which worked well after stuffing ourselves full! There are some great bars there too, some of which are open quite late. One I remember (sorry I dont remember the name) was quite chilled out with a comfy sofa in the bar and pipes! They did great cocktails that were really cheap and even gave us a lift to another bar further down the road when we wanted to leave. The bar we drank in the most though was The Double Dutch. It is open late every night with entertainment and good table service and only a very short stumble back to the hotel.
Restuarants I would recommend would be Legong, a varied menu with traditional dancing so no need to go to the Balinese Night at the Puri. And Massimo an Italian,(not bad food a bit on the pricy side for Sanur, in my opinion the Village is better and cheaper and if you stay at the Puri you get a discount) great for an ice cream after a slow walk back from the other end of the resort.
thanks Louise. We will venture a bit further this time! We did take a taxi a couple of times up to the big store( can't remember its name) where there were ATMs just outside. Do you know where I mean? Just wondering if that is the best area to get dropped off at or if we need to go further.
I do know the store you mean, but I dont know the name. They do very cheap ginger tea and stuff if you like traditional Balinese drinks, as we found out after paying well over the odds on a day trip. Oh well you live and learn! Not too sure where the best place to be dropped off is though. We only went as far as the village so what is beyond that I dont know! There does seem to be a bit more life up that end of the resort in general, however it has been quiet all round in Bali this year so they say. :(
thanks Louise. Yes, I have heard Bali is very quiet. I know the driver we had has suffered badly- it's so sad.
Hi Fiona
We're going to Bali for 3 weeks in September, it'll be the 4th time for us.
We went for the first time in 1995, the last in October 2002.

We're staying in Sanur.
Are there still lots of restaurants to eat at?
Any bars?

We used to call for a G&T at a place called (I think) Harri's which was down a side street just up from the Grand Bali Beach.
It was very popular with Aussies.

Cheers
Polly
loads of great restaurants. We never had a poor meal. Bars- there were more further up the resort from where we were. Round at the Puri Santrian the bars shut by midnight apart from one- Cat and Whistle I think it was?? Not sure if that was the case elsewhere. We intend to be less lazy this time round and find out :lol:
Fiona - hi,

After your comments (in several posts etc) about the Puri Santrian, we are considering it for later in the year.

Whilst we have been to Bali before we have not been to Sanur, so any help that you - or any other member - can give to help us establish the precise location of the Puri Santrian and the Hyatt on 'Google Earth' would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter
The Hytt is a short walk along the beach from the Sanur( longer by road- or so it seems!) Although there are a lot of restaurants beside PS you would need to hop into a taxi for the busier part( and that costs peanuts!). Sanur is quite a long stretched out resort. We did think about the Hyatt too and I did like the grounds they have, better than PS but the reviews were a bit more mixed- still mostly good though.
Hi
we stayed at the Bali Hyatt back in 1995, we thought it was a lovely hotel.

Since then, we've stayed at the Grand Bali Beach which is at the opposite end of Sanur.

Incidentally, Fiona, what did you think about the cleanliness of Sanur?
We've not been for a few years and I read on another website that someone staying there recently said Sanur is a dump, with lots of rubbish on the beaches and by the side of the roads.
That certainly doesn't fit with our memories of the place.

Polly
a rubbish dump- no it wasn't like at all when we were there.
Thanks for your replies folks.

I believe that we have correctly located the Puri Santrian.

Fiona, your comments regarding the Hyatt grounds is interesting.

Perhaps someone can help with the location - does the Hyatt look like 3 monstrous squares on Google Earth? It appears to be on a nicer part of the beach than the Puri Santrian and more central - but if it is the "3 squares", it looks terrible from above. Their website and various brochures seem to avoid pictures of the outside of the hotel (other than the grounds)

We have seen the mixed reviews and, at the moment, cannot decide. :?

Still we go to Goa first, so plenty of time. :wink: (always nice to have the next one up your sleeve though!)

Thanks

Peter & Janet
I think you have located it Pete! I don't find the buildings of the Hyatt to be pretty at all- in fact I would use the word ugly! But that is only my opinion. Inside is probably very different. Yes the beach would be better and you would not have the same trouble getting sunbeds as you do in the PS.( the sunbed situation is the one negative in PS)
Once again, thanks Fiona.

Why do people put ugly buildings in places like Bali (: rant on Mind you just think of the Hilton in Hua Hin - or even the Bogmalo in Goa - so to be fair it is not just Bali / rant off:).

Re your comment about sunbeds, that can be very important. We don't want to be first up and bagging a bed, nor do we wish to laze in the grounds every day! We do like to get a sunbed when we get back to the hotel from wherever we have been though.

Do club rooms suffer from the same problem?

Peter
The OH did get up early to book sunbeds- much as I hate that. However, the beach restaurants do hire out beds and we think we will just head for them this time if there are no beds available
We are staying at the Puri Santrian Club in June for some serious R&R after 9 nights Puri Raja in Legian. I was rather hoping the crazy sunbed situation didn't exist in the club rooms. Tis a good job I'm an early riser. I will take some piscs of the buildings and post. Cheers Geri
Geri
we didn't stay in Club last time. I gather the situation is ok there re sunbeds but the pool area for it is in shade most of the day.
Thanks Fiona for your post. Lucky for me it's the shade I'm after. I watch others lay out in the full sun all day and wonder how they can do it. I'd be burnt to a crisp and feeling very ill as well. I guess each to their own :wink:
Looking forward to Sanur for a change of scenery, we haven't been there since 1994ish. It was quiet then but I hear it's even quieter now.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.