Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Sanur, Bali
30 Posts
Hi Fiona
I'm sorry I can't answer your question despite us recently being in Sanur.
What I can tell you is when you turn left from the Griya there are no building works along the beach path to the beach markets. Lots of lovely restaurant (some are hotel restaurants) along the way. also lots outside the front of the Griya too.
Cheers Geri
I'm in Sanur at present Fiona and the walkway is completed and no buildind work going on, well thats not strictly true, as about 10 ft. or so had been washed away about a 100yrds or so north of the Hyatt but the repair should be finished by tomorrow. From the northern end just past the Diwankarra Holiday Villas where we're staying to the southern end at the start of the mangrove swamps takes a good hour at a very brisk walk, I know as I walked it today, and its quite a hike for the double journey, but very pleasant.
After a very very windy first week the weather is now perfect the temp is about 30c. with a slight breeze
We've enjoyed our first visit but find Sanur at night just a little too quiet and spread out, but apart from that are enjoying our stay. Alan
Hi Alan
glad you are enjoying Bali. We are going to venture into Kuta a couple of nights( mind you, we said that the last time and then couldn't be bothered :) )
Any recommendations for restaurants or bars?
The Piccadilly is superb Fiona. Its around the other side of Snur from the Puri Santrian. Near the Griya Santrian. It was the only place i went to more than once at night for a meal.
perfect for me :) Thanks BBN
We too found the Picadilly first class, also for a night out in Kuta, The Kori Restuarant located in Poppies 2, close to the memorial, was excellent for a meal. Alan
will have to look for that one in Kuta Alan :tup
tentative thoughts about next year's holiday at present, Bali being one on my list, especially Sanur.
Fiona how does it compare with Ko Samui, for example is Sanur anywhere near as big as Chaweng in terms of no. of eating places, or nearer in size to say Bophut?
Sanur is really spread out. There are a lot of restaurants within walking distance. However, not the bars that there are in Chaweng. Really, if you want a late night, its on your balcony or terrace. Its bigger than Bophut. Bali knocks the socks off of KS for stunning scenery. :)
Sounds ideal Fiona, decisions, decisions .................Bali or Barbados ??????????
No brainer - Bali!

But everyone has there favourite base in Bali so think carefully what you want. I prefer Seminyak & Jimbaran to Sanur (or Snore as a few people call it!).
snore- I know what they mean. Its really quite a quiet resort. But I like it :)
Just spent three weeks in Sanur and whilst we enjoyed it we found one or two minuses. It's very strung out and at night there's not much life, or shops etc, so after dinner that's about it. At low tide the seas goe's right out to the reef, plus, as it's on the sunrise side of the island, the beach and hotels go into shadow by mid agternoon.
Whil'st we were there my son and his wife, who stay in Australia were also on holiday in Bali, and were spending part of their time in Bali at the Oberoi in Seminyak, and we spent a couple of days with them there. The beach was great, no reef, as was the surf, ideal for bodyboarding etc. The swimming was very similar to the Sydney beaches, but warmer! Being on the other side of the island the sun did'nt disappear mid afternoon. The place was more compact than Sanur, without the madness of Kuta, and if the tide was right and you felt energetic one could walk right down the beach to Kuta, about the same distance as the length of the walkway along the shoreline in Sanur.
It's a long way to go for a couple of weeks, we enjoyed it (apart from the journey) but if we return I think we'd plump for Seminyak, for all the reasons mentioned here. Alan
With regards to Fiona's first post - Beach shacks? Like the ones in Goa?

Looking at the Sanur Beach hotel. Is everything within strolling distance from there? Although going A/I it would be nice to have a wander after dinner.
Hi Mobor One,

The Bali beach shacks are not like the ones in Goa (and not really on the beach) - similarly Sanur beach i not like Mobor!.

The Sanur Beach hotel is down the end of Sanur village / beach. There are some pleasant eateries on the main road, not far from the hotel - by the way, I wouldn't recommend AI any more than I would in Goa! There are some reasonable restaurants (and a very interesting Irish [ish] bar) within walking distance, but the better ones are a 5 to 10 minute stroll.

There are a couple of good places to eat on the beach path to the right out of the hotel (not a long stroll) and then just to the left along the beach path are (from memory) 4 nice open air restaurants.

The Sanur Beach hotel is only a couple of hundred yards from where we last stayed in Sanur (Oct 2007) so this link http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1080840#p1080840 may give some ideas.

Enjoy!

Peter
Mobor
are you stuck with AI? To be honest, one of the best parts of a Bali holiday is eating out at night. If you can change it I would. Also I have a feeling that you will be paying far more than you would if you went B&B and ate out.
Unfortunately as Pete says you can't compare schacks or the beach with Goa. However, it is a stunning island so take the time to go out and about :)
I have just this evening booked some flights to Bali and I will be staying in Sanur with a short stay in Ubud . Going in July can't wait , staying overnight in Kuala Lumpur in both directions :)
oh you lucky thing :) I would love to have returned this year but we decided we had been too often recently.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.