General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Sea sickness
21 Posts
The "active" ingredient in a lot of Seasickness tablets is the same, sunseeker. :) "Own Brand" sickness tablets, ie Boots, Superdrug, are just as reliable as the "named" brands. My daughter suffers from Travel Sickness, and she took the Boots own brand. Worked okay for her. :wink: Im sure if you go into a chemist, they will advise you.
It's also worth trying the wrist bands - Boots stock them, or you can get them direct from the factory in Hinkley, Leics - called "sea bands" they work on acupressure points ; my sister swore by them to help her morning sickness too ...................

PS avoid acidy foods and drinks before sailing too - orange juice does me in every time!!
Ooh, yes, wristbands are supposed to be good, forgot about them. :)
:wink:
Never heard of the wrist bands but there again it has been a very very long time since I have sailed.
Do they really work ?

Slan

Carol
Ok then will check wrist bands out. In general then would you say many people onboard do suffer with sea sickness?
Went on a catamaran once and 99% were really sick, but that is a different movement.
Totally agree with getting stores own brands. Always used to get childrens liquid medicine from local chemist brand and had same ingrediants as kalpol.
Just another tip aside from the bands/pills:-

Always try to be on the top deck looking out to sea focusing on the horizon.

If you can see the boat swaying from the inside (or worse tables/objects moving) this can be fatal, mind over matter etc.

:D
That too is good to know! :P
Went to Boots earlier on the recommendation of their own tablets. Thought I'd better have 2 packets and hey my lucky day- when she scanned it was buy 2 get 3rd free.
So now we have more than enough. Well the only answer to that i think :idea: is will have to book another cruise to use them up :P
We were cruising in August and i used boots own travel pills for seasickness and to be honest they were no use i got no sleep the 1 bad night we had i hope that you get better weather apart from that we had a great cruise.

Maureen :D
with the user name 'Sunseeker' I would have thought you'd have had your sea legs! (Sunseeker are the manufacturers of some of the most upmarket sports motor-yatchs in the world, very plush. Last one I stepped aboard was worth £2million! This one in fact Sunseeker Manhattan, this is the price for the 74ft version, the 84ft version is another £400,000!).

Back on topic! My grandma suffers from sea sickness and uses Boots own brand which seem to work fine. There are plenty of ways of minimising sea seakness as well. Although what sunnysenorita said work for some, in others this can make things worse as the top deck yaws around far more than lower decks. Some find sticking to lower deacks (if there are any) and staying in the middle of the boat (where the yaw effect is minimal) works better. Sea sickness is normally caused by your sences (balance) registering different than your eyes so focussing on the horizon is a good idea if you can cope with looking out of the window (as sunnysenorita mentioned), although it can sometimes be difficult if you are on the lower deck.

Darren
So now I have learnt the origin of my name :lol:
Good choice- and you learn something every day!
Good to hear the tablets work well for your Nan - hope they will for me :lol:
Ooops sorry your "Grandma"
Sunseeker my son suffered terrible sea sickness until we discovered the wristbands they def worked for him, much to my relief :lol:
don't know about the bands working for sea sickness, but they definetely work for other forms of travel sickness.... as for tablets kwells are a good one to take as you can take these 20 mins before your journey or on the onset of sickness...check with a pharmacist if you are on other medication though.
My wife always takes STURGEON sickness pills, these combined with the wrist bands certainly work for her, she gets seasick in the bath. :D
My wife always takes STURGEON sickness pills, these combined with the wrist bands certainly work for her, she gets seasick in the bath

Is that Stugeron - or Caviar!!! :shock:
Never thought of the latter................................
Thought there was something fishy about them :D Never was one for spelling. :oops:
Sunseeker

I felt as though i was still on board the destiny when i got home this lasted about 10 days and only stopped when i went back to work.No one else felt like this infact they were laughing at me.

Enjoy cruise

Maureen
Another vote here for Stugeron which were recommended to me by the pharmacist. Hubby used to have one night of sea sickness on every cruise until he started taking them. Now he takes one at the first sign of any movement and hasn't been sick since.

luci :wave
I took it when I went on my cruise earlier this year. I started them 24 hours before. I never felt a thing.

Kath HT Admin
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.