Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Sharm Airport
168 Posts
Hi does anybody know if we can get small egyption notes at sharm airport?? the smallest we can get here is a £50 (egyption that is)
Hi Tiggs,

Yes, you will be able to get smaller denominations at Sharm airport.

You can get 5,10 and 20 EP notes.
Thankyou carrot as normal your a font of knowledge :D
I can honestly say that Sharm Airport was a breeze. After reading all the threads on here I was quite worried about what to expect..

We were lucky enough to be given landing cards on the plane which we'd filled out and when we got of the bus at the arrivals, we met a guy from Med hotels who told us just to write SINAI ONLY on the back of the landing card, sign it and go get our stamp. (As we were'nt leaving sharm we didn't need visas) This we did, got our stamp and proceeded to collect our luggage. We did get asked if we wanted a trolley but we refused politely. We got a taxi from the SIXT stand to Nabq Bay for 130LE, although we gave him 150LE as the service was excellent - a lovely 7 seater silver chrysler with air conditioning. There was 4 adults in our party so between us it was next to nothing to pay for a transfer in luxury.

On leaving, we had our luggage and hand luggage scanned, completed the relevant departing cards and proceeded to check in. We had no problems whatsoever.

We did follow advice from this site and friends and took our own loo roll/wipes with us as there were young girls in the toilets trying to sell us loo roll.

All in all a wonderful experience. Our luggage was off loaded from the plane a hell of alot quicker than our arrival in Manchester.

Thank you Sharm Airport for a lovely experience :tup
I agree. We've just got back from a fantastic 2 week stay and had no problems either way at the airport. We wanted to get visas as we were going to Ras Mohammed and it was actually quite difficult convincing the guy that we wanted one! He was reluctant to give us one until we said we were going to Ras Mo, so I think the days of them trying to force them on you are gone.

Toilets were a bit uninviting (!) but all in all a very painless experience.
Hi all :)

Going to Sharm on the 16th of Feb returning 3rd March. Can anyone advise if the airport is still chaotic - I remember last time we were there it wasnt too bad in arrival but departure was a NIGHTMARE :twisted:
Yes its chaotic but I'm of the opinion that if you make it bother you then it spoils the last bit of your holiday. Just go with it.
I have got my visa in advance of my trip, does this mean we can make any shortcuts in Sharm airport or do we still have to que for ages?

I didn't realise you could get your visa in advance of travelling. however, this would be ideal. Does anyone know how to go about this?

We are going to SES on 13th July. Must admit, we're not looking forward to the whole airport experience but it won't put us off the holiday. After all - we've survived the airport in Laganas, Zante and also the La Romana Airport in Dominican Republic!

It sounds as though things have calmed down quite a lot in the last year. so hopefully still the same when we go. We don't mind tipping for trolley's etc as at the end of the day they are just trying to make a living and lets face it they get paid peanuts. From what I hear - it's not expensive at all in Egypt so what's a few quid? However, I agree - I would grudge giving the coach driver money for loading the cases onto the bus!!!!!

And as for the loo roll malarky - my husband is forever slagging me for taking everything bar the kitchen sink in my hand luggage!! I always carry wipes etc with me when travelling - you never know when you'll need them! ;-)
It would be nice to hear more reports about the airport from people travelling this year!

Cx
Has anybody experianced trouble in Sharm Airport as there is a disturbing report on the Trip Advisor website.
Saying that an older gentleman was seperated from his wife by officials
and taken over to one side.
Where he was then told that he would not be flying home that night as he had coral in his suitcase.When he protested he was told that if his case was opened they would find coral.
He was then asked if he had any english Money on him and proceeded to remove 4 £10.00 notes from his wallet and told that he could rejoin his wife as there was no coral in his case..
His wife had been told nothing and was very upset they were nearly 60.
I have been to sharm and experianced a militry airport and understand how alone you could feel as nobody from the reps is allowed into the airport.
Has anybody else ever experianced this,as i am taking my parents who are in the 60's to sherm in Sep 06.
Sad story. But I don't think it happens very often. We had no problems at all.
Noticed on our return big posters advertising FREE wireless internet connection

checked it out on my PDA and -- there it was open and free

unlike Manchester which is pay pay pay
good afternoon! i have been looking on this board for months now! as we went to sharm in april of this year it was a great help to me, i thought i would come out of the shadows a post a message.. the biggest thing i was worried about was the airport i have a very impatient husband and a 6 year old girl so i was realy not looking forward it at all, as it happens it was the easiest part of the holiday, we arrived on a sunday night it was very calm and straight forward, when we departed it was a very early sunday morning we couldnt believe how quiet it was, the arrivals hall was in darkness, our friends flew home that evening and she said it was hell on earth so i guess the gods were on our side!! one thing that realy annoyed me was it was the end of our holiday we were all spent out and had realy had enough of tipping everything that breathed, to find when we get to the checkin desk an egyptian bloke wanting yet more money off us just to lift our suitcases on to the belt he then had the cheek to ask for a pen, he took my little girls pink gel pen and refused to give it back, she was not happy. anyway thats my take on the airport, egypt is a beautiful country but i wouldnt go again it was a very trying holiday with my 6 year old getting many propsals of marriage and my husband getting very agitated by this ahh well thats our opinion, i think we will just stick to the greek islands from now on! thanks for listening! :wink:
going back to the seating issue in the airport - would anyone suggest getting one of thse fold away stools, just in case there are delays - or am i worrying too much?!
There are plenty of seats at the airport now, more than last year, we had no trouble, if you want the peace and quiet, then go through security and sit in there, it could be a long wait if your plane comes in late, and of course there are no toilets in there.

Take plenty of loo roll as they never have it.
Travelled through in March this year with two teenage daughters. It was very busy both on the way in and way out. Stood around for hours probably, just waiting for our luggage to appear. Though queues through check ins/Visa desks were orderly and o problem. On the way back, airport was mobbed. Take water and take loo rolls and if you can, something to snack on. We ended up sitting on the floor and taking it in turns to wander round while somebody stayed with the bags. That being said, didn't find it any bother. Just added to the "colour" of the trip. And they are opening a nice big new airport some time next year I think.

Best of luck. You'll probably find like me, that your fears outweigh reality.

Meg
We were there when the Manchester flight got diverted, at the hotel on the boards, it does tell you now if the plane is delayed so there isnt a huge queue at the airport. Our flight was on time, and there were loads of empty seats.

Some tour operators just don't take you to the airport to hang around. Only when it is necessary.
.New airport at Sharm...is it up and running yet? If it is what is it like? :thanks
Going to sharm in 13 days and just wondered if anyone has recently landed late afternoon on a Sun--------if so, How long did they have to queue to get through passport control?
It's just that someone told me that it took them 3hrs to get out of Sharm airport last year!!!!!!!!!
hi, it took us 4 about 20 mins that was in december and there were 2 flights landed at the same time just go with the flow and you will be fine.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.