Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Sharm Airport
168 Posts
monday i find the best day not too busy
I`m going over for my 4th time in July . All you need to remember is you are on Egyptian time and relax your bus wont leave without you :lol:
The new terminal (which will more than double the airport's capacity) opens in May 2007. All international flights will use the new building.
Do's any one know if the new terminal is open yet or is it still throught the Military Terminal
It was still the old terminal last Thursday, Trigger. The roads down to the new terminal were coned off, but half of Sharm had been shut down because of that summit/conference that was going on at the time. The roads around the airport were absolutely empty.
Have just heard that the new terminal at Sharm Airport is opening on the 23rd of May
Is there any news on the new terminal at Sharm airport? Did it open last week? Anyone used it yet???
i flew back thurs night it was opened by the president in the morning ,told it would be up and running last weekend
I am travelling to sharm on thursday 23rd and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the new airport has made any difference. I have heard that most uk flights land on thursday and it is absolutely manic. Any info would be great. :)
Hi
Hi Rash, yes, I am sad to report that the new airport has made many changes to our trips to Sharm.
It was such fun in the old days, watching the airport staff as they had a fag leaning against the wall, not giving a damn that 600 passengers were waiting to go through the buying a visa, go through passport control or retrieve their luggage fiasco - now it is so incredibly boring. Many will say that it is just as chaotic as ever but bigger, but for me it has lost its original charm - alas.
Anyone requiring an airport that is slick, organised and stressless should perhaps try Palma, as the whole Egyptian ethos is not for them!
The guys at the Sharm airport are brilliant, it is part of the whole Egyptian experiance, enjoy!
xxsbxx
Strange you should say that. We are booking an independant guide for the day trip to Cairo, and he told us to avoid Wednesday because that is change over day in Sharm. It would be interesting to know what people that have been there have got to say!!! Is it Wednesday or Thursday.....
Hi
The airport is always busy, we sat in a cafe one evening and watched 7 planes coming in to land in less than an hour. I think there are now flights on 5 days of the week from the UK alone.
xxSBxx
Hi rash
The new airport never made any difference to us, it was terrible, on our arrival they emptied half of the hold on our plane and about 15 cases went back to the uk!! Sadly 3 of our 4 cases went and only 2 returned, my wifes case lost still.
A good tip is dont get the coach to the airport on your return, book a taxi, we got a taxi 20 mins earlier than the coach and the airport was empty within 30 mins it was really over crowded.

Neil
Can anyone very recently returned tell me if I'll be able to take liquids in my hand luggage inbound Sharm to Gatwick please?

Thanks.

Pippy :D
Hi Pip mate!

The only thing we noticed at the airport was that they would not let you take bottles of drink through the first security check as you go in. Apart from that, there seemed to be no restriction whatsoever.

Would you like some spare ribs sent to Gatwick for your return?

Good to hear you are enjoying yourself!

Rog.
That's funny. I took a bottle of water through (in full view) as did many others.
Maybe people were just dumping them on top of the scanner then, Ev, there were a lot of bottles on it when we went through?
Thanks both :wink:

It was actually the water situation I was concerned about. We'll pack some in our hand luggage and if they confiscate it so be it.

Pippy :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.