Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Thanks, you backed up pretty much everything that I've read elsewhere. Have you witnessed an type of behaviour that I mentioned in my first post with other people who maybe didn't dress as modestly? And is it common to hear men whistling or saying things to the female holidaymakers? I have no idea which part of Tunisia the people stayed in that my girlfriend has talked to, or when it was but everything I've read hints that the holiday resort towns are generally relaxed, although dressing modestly in the towns will limit the potential for any type of conflict.

I've been to Turkey back in 2002 and was only 16 but I don't remember there being any problems with the locals, only flirtyness with the women.

I don't have travel insurance yet, I did a quick online quote check the other day and it's only about £6 for 1 week so I will be sorting that out ASAP.
Flyingarmbar wrote:

I don't have travel insurance yet, I did a quick online quote check the other day and it's only about £6 for 1 week so I will be sorting that out ASAP.

I would read any policy that was being offered at £6 VERY carefully to make sure it covers everything you need it to. At that price it may not cover loss of baggage or possibly even cancellation.

There is advice on choosing travel insurance in our General Holiday Enquiries forum HERE

We visited Tunisia long before it was a popular holiday destination. At that time some of the locals passed some banter, but nothing malicious and we just took it in good fun.

luci :wave
Make sure they include Tunisia if you are buying a European policy.
My Insurance did include Tunisia and Egypt but I think its because of the recent troubles there that they only cover them on a Worldwide policy.
I have never witnessed any behaviour like what your girlfriend has been told in Tunisia.
The only 2 incidents I have seen was many years ago in Tangiers I was walking along the beach with a lady I had met in the hotel.
I had a skirt and blouse on and she had a bathing costume on with a pair of shorts over them.A local came up to us and spat on her. :yikes
Last October on a very warm but overcast day we walked to Marmaris from Icmeler and we saw a woman getting heckled by some men.She was very overweight and was walking through the town with a bikini top on and a very short pair of shorts.
I am sure you will be fine and enjoy your holiday.
It's good to know you haven't experienced anything like that then, I'm sure it will be fine especially in the holiday resorts. My girlfriend works with people of anywhere from teenager to 80+ so there's a good chance any stories she heard were from before the various coastal towns became popular holiday destinations. My Grandma apparently had an amazing time there a few years ago and said it was one of her best holidays.

For travel insurance I've just gone to moneysupermarket.com and chose 1 week, single trip, baggage and cancellation cover for Tunisia, and it's brought up a list of quotes from various places listed in order of price. I assumed since I specifically chose Tunisia from the list, it would be sufficient. I haven't bought any yet though, I'll do that with my girlfriend. Virgin is selected as offering the best deal when excess is taken into account.
We were out in Sousse a few weeks ago now and our 23 yr old daughter joined us. She did not have any problems when going out and about. She obvioulsy dressed appropriately for a Muslim country. In the Medina she had no problems either. OK, a little bit more banter towards her rather than me and my wife but nothing she could not handle.
It is all about being sensible. Having said that, we did see many walking around trying to show off etc. Showing what they had for breakfast etc. Well, if they do that and get badly hassled then more fool them , I say.
We were in the same resort hotel last year with my daughter and her husband and we never got or seen any hassle from anyone albiet the horse drawn carraige drivers can be a bit 'persistant' to get you on board.

We used taxis (agree a price first) and the local bus service is good from right outside the hotel.

No bother on the beaches iether as far as swimwear for the women

Enjoy your holiday
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.