Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi, Dont get me wrong i did enjoy the holiday immensely i was just disappointed with the Sonesta Beach Resort. Our first room we was given was room 2146 and that room was still nothing special it did have an extra bed but was still dark and dingy and in need of updating, i still think that its over rated as a 5star and dont see how come if you book with Thomsons you get a better room, Kuoni are very expensive and thought i would be getting luxury but i was wrong.
I think the gardens are beautiful and the staff are friendly buts that still dont make it a 5 star.
I asked the Thomson rep in resort and she told me that all their guests get the family room, we could at least slept 8 people in our room, and the bed was the biggest i had ever seen.

Thomson are like a brand name in Egypt, like Thomas Cook.

Kuini i would have thought would be more further a field. I dont think it is down to how expensive the holiday cost, or reputation come to that, but Thomson have bought a lot of the rooms up, and they like their family rooms, her words not mine.

i have seen the smaller rooms and they are tatty.
Hi Derwentrocker
Interesting what you say about Thomson being a brand name in Sharm as I have recently come back from there travelling with them. I liked the fact that they had Egyptian Reps working in conjunction with the British ones. They did us proud with our hotel rooms in a different hotel from this, giving us connecting rooms which we neither asked for nor paid for. I agree it's not down to what you pay for an individual holiday, more about the money Thomson brings into Egypt. Never crossed my mind till I read your post. :oops:

Sorry for taking this off topic folks but wanted to comment. :D
Actually we went on a few trips with Egyptian thomson reps, they were great fun, thats why i am going back with them to this hotel.
hi derwentrocker.

ooo thanks for that. we have actually booked through thomsons...purely because they had the best deal for the sonesta.....i have booked a family room...ooo i hope its as nice as your one...oo cant wait roll on november!!
Medot -

It will be the biggest, as they are the only ones that do the family rooms. How many of you are going?

I would try and email them about 3 weeks or so before you go and ask for 1105..... you will have your own private garden in front, and behind is two pools, one the italians use mostly, and the other side another quiet pool. It is very quiet. So i dont need my ear plugs :D The rooms are white and large stone walls, so they are basically sound proof, they are little semi detached houses.

edit : - I forgot to mention that if anyone was finicky about the furniture may i remind you that this is Egyptian styling, it is like old wood, and it is old colonial style. The bathrooms are dark, and they do have brown tiles, but we excepted that this was how they were.

Off to get my tickets today - yesssssssssssssss :wink:
ooo thanks for that derwentrocker...i've made a note of that room number.

theres only the two of us going ....thats one of the reasons i paid a little extra to gaurantee a bigger room.

i hope you have a great time
Medot...

You stated that you 'paid' a little extra to guarantee a 'bigger' room, well that shouldn't have happened, in the Thomson brochure the family rooms are standard, they dont use the small rooms.

Michelle.
really!!!.

i went on the internet...and i have paid a room suppliment of £28!!
Okidoki.....

I have read the Thomson Egypt brochure, and also contacted my Ilkeston co-op branch.

The lady told me that the family rooms are standard and i havent been charged a penny extra for the family room.

She did also state that the internet is normally cheaper for booking than high street shops.

But: - The consultant told me to say to you, go to a Thomson shop and they will or should refund the difference to you. I know maybe £28 isnt that much money for some, but its better off with you.

Michelle xx
Medot

I just did a search myself for the same date as when i am going and from NEMA, and it says no supps for a family room?

http://www.thomsonbeach.co.uk/th/beach/SearchToBook.do?holidayId=R%2F04977&date=05%2F06%2F06

Michelle xx
:oops: :oops: :oops: . i wonder then whether i've booked a mega big room...cause i've checked again and when i go i have to pay a supplement of £2 per night. but i've booked a double family room..but it still only sleeps 2-4.

i must admit i do remember your review of this hotel last year and thought you must have had one of the mega big rooms as well.....and thats what i wanted ...oh well thats money for you.
Where are you flying from? and what was the date? maybe it is different at a later time of the year.

Don't worry though, because they do studio rooms and the biggest ones are the family rooms, and thomson only seem to do those :wink:
I just got up what you are talking about, and it does say a double family room, for November, so i am not sure what i am booked into now, as i was assuming it was a family room we were in last year, maybe they upgraded us? Well i have emailed the hotel to clarify what the difference is :roll:
ooo let me know how you get on.
Hi medot

I am not very sure i can add very much to the above but here goes.....

First of all, Thomson are just stating from their website, eg, family room with two twin beds, and the ddle dble family room with a double bed and cot space etc. They couldnt answer why in the summer brouchre there isnt an option to upgrade to the double double family room, only in winter.

Going by the above, it would seem that we were in the family room with the twin beds, but ......we wern't last year! We had a huge queen size bed, and not pushed together.

I have emailed reservations via the manager at the hotel, who knows which room we request, but as you know, it is only a request.

Today i have got in touch with my TA and asked them to find out the difference, and also why in their brochure they haven't mentioned at all about the double double family rooms at all for the summer, only the family rooms are on offer.

I also rang the Sonesta Beach Resort, and actually spoke to someone that can speak fairly good English, he didn't really understand what i was saying about the family rooms or double family rooms, he just said that they were massive. Also that Thomson had requested room 1105 for me.

So medot all in all, i go two weeks today(Mon), i will see if i go into room 1105 the biggest room, if i dont, i will ask for a room on the same scale. If i see the thomson rep, i will ask them whether mine is classed as a family or double double for you.

But suffice to say in my estimations, something isnt right here, i fly from NEMA, i am assuming you are from a London airport. When i did a search for my dates via the net it never mentioned once about the upgrade, only from other airports. As far as i am aware, the thomson brochure doesnt say anything about the double double rooms, only the family ones.

So i dont think their facts are correct!

I will keep in touch.

Michelle :D
Hi there, i'm looking to book a holiday for a family of four and heard some great reviews about the place but also some bad! Can anyone give me an honest opinion of what they think, Accommodation etc. Would be grateful for anyone who's been with kids.

Thanks
You have read my reports on this hotel, its my favourite. With kids upgrade to the double double family room, it costs £28 pp and the rooms are huge. The normal rooms with Thomson are family rooms but not as big as the double double family rooms.

There is a choice of 7 pools a fabulous size and kiddie pools. It is excellent for kids and right on the beach. Rooms are like being sound proofed as the walls are so thick.

For booking this holiday i can advise to book through PORTLAND DIRECT, you can book over the phone or internet. They are really nice and you will save a lot of money. They are a thomson based company. You share the same flight with thomson. But they are alot cheaper. PORTLAND also do the double double family room.

Times to go will vary on how hot you want it.

March/May approx - 80s /90s

June/Sept - 90s/ 100s

Oct/Feb - ranges from 80s down to 70s.

I have been to this hotel a lot and taking the family back next June, anything you would like to know about anything, i am your person :D

Michelle.

http://www.portlandholidays.co.uk/default.asp?&SOURCE=goog&referrer=google&ito=2152&itc=64 **edit - to add website* -
Char - Did you want advice on Sonesta Beach Resort or Sonesta club? I spoke about Sonesta Beach. Sonesta Club is across the main peace road, but shares facilities with the Resort.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.