Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
spending money
23 Posts
take what ever you can afford to.i would take £1000.plus.400 fags thats it.you can bring 3200.you get them from the spainish tabo shop with a brown sign outside.get your purfume on the island.duty free is not as cheap as it sounds.ask for a few samples as well.
Hello Mel, I like these sort of posts the way I see it is how much do you and your boyfriend spend on a Saturday night out? then think 13 nights out and most of them will be like a Saturday night this should give you what you will be spending at night, then there are the snacks at lunch time say 10 euros a day plus eating out say twice you should be looking at 80 to 100 euros with a nice bottle of wine, then there is the old sun beds if you go on the beach or free round the pool not sure on the fags and perfume as my wife won't let me have ether.
Hope this give you a bit of help as I am sure you will know we all spend different amounts so I would say that djwoody is not far out if it was me I would take £800.00 plus a AMT card just in case.

Dave
yes thats what i was thinking about £800 and then ill take my visa electron card if i need extra. what is best to take sterling or euro travellers cheques? i have never used them myself cos i went to bulgaria last year and couldnt take them. 8)
If you have a Nationwide card then take that - a lot of our members (myself included) have Nationwide accounts - good exchange rate and no withdrawal fee.

Shop around for the ciggies - prices should be the same but some will charge for CC/DD card use others have no charge.
When are you going?i have friends staying there first two weeks in june.Fags are about e31 for 200 depending on what brand you smoke,dont get them at the airport they are more exspensive.
Mel

For getting your cigarettes when at Alcudia Pins ... If you take the "Muro Express", the road-going train, it'll take you as far as the Las Gaviotas area of Playa de Muro. There. opposite the Burger King, is a Tabacs. There is another one in Playa de Muro, but prices won't differ as you can only buy cigarettes in bulk from licensed tabacs such as this one.
oldies - i am going the 2nd and 3rd week of july im not actually staying at the alcudia pins im staying at the albufera playa which is 1 hotel along, i have been to the pins before though and it is great.

andrew thanks for the info on the cigarettes they will be for my boyfriend as i dont smoke.

thanks mel
Hiya,
Been offered a weeks holiday in Magaluf at beginning of May, £100 each.

How much spending money do you think we'd need. The hotels SC. We'd probably just chill out during the day then go out on a night for a few drinks, with only a couple of big nights out.

Just trying to work out if we can all afford it because of the short notice.
I reckon you could easily do it on £50 a day!
Most probably less,

as long as it's not lobster dinners! :) An evening meal in a bar/ restaurant will average about £7.
A pint is about £1.75, spirits about £2.50 - £3.50 (these are big measures)

Also remember that for the week you are away you won't be spending at home so if you normally spend £100 at home thats £100 for holiday!
Going All inclusive for 2 weeks.

Do you think £500 spending money will be sufficent? :think

Would like to go on maybe a boat trip and also a trip to a water park, we arent
big drinkers so if we did wander out of hotel on an evening, i wouldnt imagine
we would have more than a couple of drinks.

:)
It's a bit like the question "How long is a piece of string?" :que I went for two weeks last year, half board, and spent about £300. I don't drink a lot, and the hotel I was in had entertainment every night. Didn't do a lot during the day except sunbathe as I was shattered due to the pressure of work.

So.... £500 would be enough for me if I was all inclusive for two weeks. But for one of my friends, it probably wouldn't get them through week one!!! :rofl

Louise
daughter and her partner went a/l for 10days spent around £300 they got there free drinks first then went out after that so they did'nt spend much when they went out as they had drank enough already .they watched the entertainment first if it was good then went to the clubs some nights.
Is the £500 for just you or for your partner too?
The £500 would be for 5 of us (3 kids).
£500 should plenty if not planning to leave the hotel complex to go on excursions or hiring a car to go out, or even going for a walk, couldn't not buy a drink or ice cream for kids just 'cos "its free back at the hotel"
We like to take more than we need and bring it back if unspent
After having a good think, going to take more than the £500, again we can bring it back.

Its first hol abroad for DD2 and DD1 has only been away once a baby and I dont want to
be tight with them.

Oh well .... :tup
We tend to take a bit of cash then use ATM's (inside banks) when we need a top up, usualy get a slightly better rate of exchange but just check with your bank that you will not be charged for any transactions whilst abroad.
Open a Nationwide flexaccount, no transaction charges and the rate of exchange is usually better than in resort. You can also leave the money in there and just draw it out as you need it, so no risk of it being stolen/lost. Read some of the other posts about the card, to see if it would suit you. Louise
Would i have to use the flexaccount as our main account?

We are with HSBC and got quite a few DD I wouldnt want to change.

Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.