Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Copied from my Sri Lanka Review of June 05:

We flew with Sri Lankan direct from Heathrow to Colombo, which took about 10 hrs each way. We had a delay of 2 hrs on the way out and 1 hr on the way back, which was annoying but bearable. The planes both had a 2-4-2 seating plan so we had no problems sitting next to each other. The seats weren't very comfortable but they did provide pillows and blankets, which helped greatly. There were about 12 channels on the seatback TVs, plus music channels and games so we were able to keep ourselves occupied for most of the journey. Meals were served twice during each flight, with complimentary sandwiches and drinks available in between. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and we would be happy to fly with Sri Lankan again.

Hope that helps!
Thanks Corinne
Not long now ...5 weeks today :fly
Hi Corinne
Can you remember if they provided headphones for the entertainment system or did you have to use your own.
One month today and we will be on our way :D we booked this holiday over a year ago(we have just booked Goa for xmas 2007) and I can't believe its finally nearly here.
I think they were free but I'm not 100% sure as we normally take our own anyway. We particularly liked the Hangman game on our TV console - it helped pass the time.
has anyone flown with these going at xmas what are flight and food/drink like. thanks samy10

Merged with existing thread
David HT Mod
I wonder if any one has flown recently with Sri Lankan via Colombo since all the problems there. We are due to fly to Maldives in July. We have a direct flight there but stop off in Colombo on return. Also any recent experiences on comfort and in flight food and entertainment would be good. Size of plane etc. The list goes on. I would like to know as much as poss if I am honest. Oh and also has any one had any luck getting an emergency exit seat on check in. They don't allow these to be pre booked by any one I have read. Is this true and if we get to the airport about 4 hours before would we have a reasonable chance?

Sorry for the long list and thanks very much in advance.

Trish
We have pre booked row 10 with Sri Lankan. I am told this row is in a small section of 4 rows just behind business class and have more leg room. Has any one travelled in these seat or know exactly how much leg room there is?

Many thanks
Flying Sri Lankan next month from Heathrow. Information received from the tour operator says to check in 3 hours before. We want to ensure we have our pre-booked seats and we also don't want to queue for ages. Rather get through security early and enjoy a leisurely stroll around, nice meal etc. When we flew Singaopore a few years back we checked in 4 hours before, no queues etc. has anyone checked in 4 hours before for Air Sri Lanka, don't know if the check in will actually open that early?

Many thanks

Trish
We flew with sri lanka airlines last xmas. Checkins did not open till about 3 hours before. But there was already a long queue at that time we joined probably 45 mins before the check in opened.. Whether this was worse because of christmas or normal not sure.
Hi there, thanks for the reply. It seems it would be prudent to get the the airport 4 hours before anyway to get first in the queue.
I'd agree with knitter46. We flew with them 2 yrs ago and there were a lot of people in the queue before the desks opened. While we were queueing, the staff passed round a memo saying that the flight was overbooked and asking for volunteers to be moved on to the next available flight (with compensation). I was really glad we had got to the airport early so we weren't likely to be bumped!
Thanks for the warning. We are going to get there 4 hours before for definite now. Rather wait for that extra hour and be guaranteed the flight.

Trish
Can any one who has travelled Air Sri Lanka tell me if you have used a person DVD player or a Nintendo DS or other such computer game. Just checked their web site and it says these items are prohibited. We are planning on using both these things for our flight this weekend and are a bit suprised that they are not allowed. We assumed that it was only mobile phones you couldn't use. Any info would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Has anyone flown with Srilankan Aiways, thinking of using this airline for the flight from Heathrow to Goa in November, they are offering the best straight though price, well as straight though as a schedual flight to Goa can be (Via Colombo)
many thanks
Jayne
There are reviews on SriLankan Airlines on Airline Quality.com.

Darren
New non-stop UK-Maldives link this winter

SriLankan Airlines is to run non-stop flights between the UK and the Maldives this winter.

The airline will operate twice weekly from Heathrow to Male starting on October 26 with a flying time of 11 hours and 15 minutes.

The carrier's UK and Ireland manager Chanaka Olagama said: "We recognise the need to introduce this non-stop service for such a popular holiday destination.

"Customers' needs are our priority and we believe that this new direct service will provide a time-effective way to travel in style and comfort to their paradise location."

With permission from Travelmole
We will be going to SriLanka from Heathrow in a few days with SriLanka Airlines. The 'plane should be an Airbus A340-300 series. We will be traveling 'Economy' and I just wondered if there are any seats on this aircraft that are best avoided due to width/leg room restrictions etc ?
Might ask about upgrade to 'Business Class' at the check-in, last second seat fill so to speak, has anyone tried this and what were the results, especially the cost ?
Cheers and thanks.

Brian L
Brian L,

Seating is always personal preference and they don't vary much in economy really. You might want to avoid the toilet / galley areas where you'll get a constant stream of passengers and crew congregating. I've never been on a Sri Lankan A343, but of the A343's I've been on, the IFE boxes tend to be on the right of the seat columns so you might want to avoid the seats to the right if you have long legs. Spare Business Class seats and normally filled by frequent flier / privilege card hold holders. You can ask about upgrading, but costs aren't normally much different.

Darren
Thanks Darren, those pointers help.
A pity that SriLankan Airlines don't do a 'Premium Economy' type package, it appears to be Business or Economy with no in-between.

Cheers

Brian L
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.