Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
I was in Stalis last year with my girlfriend and parents and we all loved the resort so I wouldn't worry! Its a busy resort with lots of bars and restaurants but its certainly not an 18-30s style resort (like neighbouring Malia). It may eventually get that way in a few years but not yet! I would say the atmosphere is lively and friendly with people of all ages enjoying themselves.

The bars are mainly situated on one long road that runs parallel to the beach but its not like the typical 'bar street' that would be featured on 18-30 type tv documentaries where bar after bar are pumping out music trying to compete with one another. Its busy but not over the top. You will probably see a few large groups of youngsters especially in July who will most likely be staying in Stalis so that they've got Malia on their doorstep but its very much a mixed crowd with something for everyone.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Lovely beach and a great choice of excursions if thats your thing.

Steve
Im watching this thread as we are also going the last two weeks in July

Glad to hear its not 18 - 30 crowd! :wave:
We've booked for Stalis as well for first 2 weks of August. We're 2 couples in our late forties and early fifties and decided it would suit us after doing loads of research. We're really looking forward.
We went to Stalis last year there is lots to do but it definately was not 18-30 as already said you get the odd few youngsters staying for the closeness to Malia but this is a more family type resort. Only thing to watch out for are the quad bikes .
sioux ;)
we have been to stalis for last 7 years so it can,t be that bad!! :tup It is lively and busy in the evenings but defo not 18-30 crowds. Huge range of nightlife from busy music bars to quiter tavernas etc plus your usual resort souviner shops!! our group ranges from late 30's to beyond and we all have a fab time year in year out. we like a good night out but its not OTT and although some youngsters, as previous posts said most are just passing through to malia or hersonnisos!! Just one word of warning, last year we saw 6 accidents in 1 week from nutters on quad bikes, and at airport on return journey 7 people on crutches from similar escapades!!! Despite this a fab resort through and through..... :sun2 12 weeks and counting
Thank you very much for your replies.

It has reassured me and I will let you know how it goes.

Sounds like I need to watch out for quad bikes though... :yikes ....if thats the only thing Im not worried!

starting to get in countdown mode!

Milly
There is an occasional Malia overspill into Stalis at peak times (i.e. July and August) when all the apartments are fully booked in Malia itself but nothing to get unduly worried about.

The Greek authorities are clamping down on the outrageous behavior you might have witnessed on the Club Reps programme back in the early 00's so most of the "lively" resorts are far tamer now which is a good thing. My Wife and I went to Malia in June 07, having been there on our first ever holiday together a decade earlier and to be honest, it was a good vibe for the whole time we were there. Certainly compared to when we hit Faliraki in 2001!!!!!

You will be fine in Stalis. It is a lovely resort and has all the bars and restaurants you could ever wish for. If you fancy a change of scenery there is a marvellous Mexican (I know, cop out) in Malia called Gringo's and is English owned. Ask anybody for directions.

Have a good time.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.