Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
Hi there,I have been going to Corfu for the last 8 years now,and yes you do get wasps there,was stung quite badly 5 years ago and had a really bad reaction to it.To keep the mozzies away,the last 2 years i have taken garlic perles,and it has worked!No mozzie bites,but also,no wasp stings either!Maybe worth a try!The wasps are worse at the beginning and end of season.Maybe something to do with their breeding season?I am no expert,just wondering!! Hope you enjoy your holiday and come back sting free!!
Byee
Sue :pele :pele
We have used marmite too. Not to spread on yourselves but apparently eating it least once a day can keep the mozzies away. They dont like the yeast I think. We took a small jar last year and just had it on crackers and it worked. Thinking about it you can smear it on yourself and it will keep everyone away!
You can also buy 'Wasp Away' from Superdrug etc.
Thanks for the replies and the tips.

Are there LOADS of wasps? IE more than normal? or just an annoying amount??

still not sure whether to risk it..... :?
Take oil of citronella and little dab on your pillow around your ankles and elbows avoid wearing perfume and scented products and I think you will be ok good luck
pojo
Hi there,No there are not massive amounts of wasps there!!You will find them around the bars,where they obviously will head for the sugar in lemonade etc! You will get a few on the beaches,where people leave their left over food etc!!Also around the rubbish bins! Other than that,you will be ok!!Think the only reason i got stung badly was because i panicked!and the more i tried to get them away from me,the more they decided they would stay!!But they were angry by then!! and decided to teach me a lesson!
If i was you, I'd try everything all the posters have suggested! and if wasps could read,they wouldn't come near you!! lol xxTake care x :pele
To all concerned. This year corfu has markedly less wasps than normal although mossies are still as plentiful as even!
Thank god for that!

Like the original poster of this topic I have a massive fear of wasps and asked this question last year before I booked.

only 21 sleeps to go :whoops sorry Glyn1s!
Looks like going to be plagued by mozzies then, so any ideas just in case we get bitten to death, what can we use.
Wasps and hornets are not really a problem until September when the grapes are ripe and in October when it's winemaking.

At this time of year they are most noticable around outdoor showers and taps having a drink. They also seem to have a soft spot for fish tavernas.
Luckily for me I don't like fish!

When we were in Zante a couple of years ago in August there were loads of wasps, and they were enormous!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.