General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Katies mum - tip for packing pillows...

HomeBargains are selling packs of two vacuum bags for £1.99.

Pillows stuffed in them go really flat so it saves on space, weight and you could probably fit
in some more if you wanted. :)
Thanks, I`d never have thought of that, usually stuff one in on the top of everything.
Just be carefull with these space saving bags.
Yes, they are great for reducing bulky items and being able to pack more into the case and for one item such as a pillow, that's a great idea, but all you're doing is removing the air and air doesn't weigh anything....it can be tempting to reduced clothes in these bags and pack more in the "extra space" acquired....but it's clothes that still weigh.

Excess weight can cost you 10 euros for every kilogram excess and I left Malaga airport last night where the Thomson rep at "check-in" made everyone place all their luggage including hand luggage on the belt at the same time, to all be weighed and the total calculated together....they were cashing in the excess luggage money, left, right and centre.

In fact, they seemed quite disappointed that I was 2 kilograms underweight and one fish that they couldn't "net".

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiii
My Daughter who's 13 and would kill me for putting this insists every year on taking her fave cuddly toy which is a dog. She took it on hols last year and when we got back to the room after a day by the pool it had disappeared. We just couldn't make it out and she was really upset. It was very embarrassing asking at reception about it but glad we did as one of the maids had stripped the bed and accidentally wrapped it up in the bedding :D
When we go on holiday I take a 3inch paint brush to brush the sand of my feet ...a thurmal
mug to keep my drinks hot and cold ..a small tray that would hold sandwitches on thats to carry more that 4 drinks.at a time Cds to give the ..DJ if his music is cr** :rofl a fly killer and a plug in smelly for the room .
hi, katiesmum where are are the bikini fasteners from? dont think ive come across these before would come in handy just in case
Hi, I got a packet of little plastic ones from local habadashery stall (sorry not sure how to spell it) in local market. Would never go on holiday without them now Katie wears bikinis as well .... its not funny having to put your bikini on over your head as the fasteners have been super glued!!
If we're self catering I always take peppermint tea bags, museli, a dishcloth, tea towel and washing up liquid.

Otherwise it's just the usual travel hairdryer, adaptor, travel wash and mossie plug.
Irishcolleen - I can just see you on the lounger, drink to hand :cheers brushing the sand out of your toes :rofl :rofl
Good one irishcoleen, never thought of taking Cd's for the DJ. That'll definately be something that'll be going in the case on the next trip. The amount of times I've had to sit through repeats of "a liitle bit of this and a little bit of that and you shake your ***" or "macarena" you would not believe :rofl . Cheers for the tip.x
I always have to take two pillows for myself you can't beat your own pillows you sleep better. My mum takes travel kettle coffee dried milk etc. Ear plugs for my dad so he doesnt hear my mums snoring. (hope you're not Reading this mum) all the usual things first aid kit pegs clothes line. Can't think of anything else but there must be more as we always have too much weight in the suitcases. Carol
caroll wrote:
I always have to take two pillows for myself you can't beat your own pillows you sleep better. My mum takes travel kettle coffee dried milk etc. Ear plugs for my dad so he doesnt hear my mums snoring. (hope you're not Reading this mum) all the usual things first aid kit pegs clothes line. Can't think of anything else but there must be more as we always have too much weight in the suitcases. Carol

Believe me they take the kitchen sink they do i've seen :rofl (hope you dont read this Carol) ;)
danny who's the person who broke the zip on their suitcase because they had too much in it. Did you pack the kitchen sink.
caroll wrote:
danny who's the person who broke the zip on their suitcase because they had too much in it. Did you pack the kitchen sink.

Ha Ha I forgott about that :rofl Carol helped me fix it she was so good ;)
Carol was i panicing? I still felt a bit tipsy that morning going home but think i rememeber panicing about my case zip being broke.
Tea bags, bottle opener, teaspoon, clothes pegs, travel iron, torch and small fold-up tool kit. The only time I went self-catering I took carving knife, chopping knife and tea-towels as well.
SWMBO took a full size Iron with her this year. The travel iron wasnt the same weight. So was no good for ironing. :think :think

Took a DVD player so we didnt have to hire a remote control for the TV. Then ran out of DVD's. So bought a 1 for all remote in an electrical shop for 6 Euros, Hotel wanted a lot more than that for rental.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.