General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Cant remember who it was, might have been someone at work, but they told me they used to take a length of rope incase they were an a high floor and had to get out of their room in a hurry.(fire etc). :que
My hubby is a sparkie and he always packs a pair of pliers and insulating tape. I must admit the tape gets used every holiday for one thing or another.

And yes I take my travel kettle, two mugs, teaspoon and a knife everywhere. No coasters though. ;)

luci :wave
I take a tv fly lead cos usually the ones in the hotel are no good! :) Also I am taking a short length of garden hose this year. Reason is last year me and my daughter made a great sandcastle which looked like a mountain with a waterfall made from straws. Everybody was stopping to have a look. The thing was the straws kept blocking with sand cos they were too small so this year a piece of hose will sort that problem!
I know it's daft but it keeps me from being bored! :)
You beat me to it RPBristol,

Was going to say the only strange thing I take with me is my husband :D
I know a few people who take rope with them, it's maybe not such a bad idea

As someone of a technical background too, i tend to take some small tools also, some wee screwdrivers, small pliers, tape, etc. It's amazing how many times they've come in handy, the amount of time i've got water into my watches and had to use the small screwdrivers

They can also help with the free air conditioning .... whoops, did i just say that :rofl
CiderMonster wrote:
They can also help with the free air conditioning .... whoops, did i just say that

:yikes :rofl
They can also help with the free air conditioning

glad to see the Scottish blood is still alive ;)

as regards water in watches, i buy a cheap watch in Spain for about 4 or 5 euros and wear that when i go, and just replace it when the battery goes. it saves worrying about getting sand in a good watch or getting it nicked while i'm at the beach.
Well when my son was smaller, we used to take our non slip rubber bath mat, sellotape about three inches wide to cover all the electric sockets to keep little fingers out. We also take string as this comes in handy if there is nowhere to dry your smalls on the balcony and pegs.
cidermonster,
mr cheap watch is Scottish and proud of it.
my last cheap watch had the st andrews cross on it, bought on the day we beat france in the euro championship, and my phone ringtone is still Flower of Scotland.
jim
I don't know wether this counts, but I always have a small pair of fold up scissors. We use them everytime we go away, and also at home. My friends may laugh but they all want a pair. £1.00 from Hawkins Bazaar.
starkeybabe wrote:
I don't know wether this counts, but I always have a small pair of fold up scissors. We use them everytime we go away, and also at home. My friends may laugh but they all want a pair. £1.00 from Hawkins Bazaar.

I have a pair of them, but mine came from a christmas cracker......never go anywhere without them. :D
I have them too and I also think they either came out of a cracker or from Studio Cards Xmas catalogue many moons ago. I've had them 25-30 years and they live in my purse.

I forgot about them the first few times we flew when they started asking if you had anything sharp in your hand luggage. :oops:

luci :wave
Hi
My partner always takes his multi tool,(pocket size--of course) He says it is always handy to fix poor fittings like the shower etc. I have got to say it has come in handy on a couple of occaisions.
I know a washing line is not that strange, but he packs one every time we go away as he insists on washing bits and pieces whist we are away.
M
cidermonster
hi jim,
no problem. i was born in edinburgh, lived in polmont, and came down south on missionary work about 30 years ago with the intention of educating the english.
i thought i would only be away for a couple of years but.............. :que

jim
I'm another that takes a travel kettle, mugs, and spoon along with the tea bags, coffee, sweeteners and coffee whitener :D I've now added a dish cloth to keep the side clean after making drinks because I got fed up having my flannel stained. They even come AI to the Caribbean with us. :rofl

My tiny key-ring torch has come in hand many times, at least I don't wake everyone up when I can't find the loo in the dark. :tup

I also take all my medication in a plastic storage container. I then tip the contents into a drawer and use it to store goodies away from the ants.

On half board holidays I take a flexible cutting board and sharp knife so we can make rolls and sandwiches at lunch time, well it saves a few pennies and weighs next to nothing. :que

And I was a Girl Guide you know.
Jim, what a co-incidence, i'm one village up the braes from Polmont :)
Do people on here find that if you are going self-catering, campsites, etc, that you tend to take more bizarre things with them?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.