Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Summer 2010
13 Posts
Hi John - entertainment in most hotels in Egypt is pretty low key with maybe a belly dancing show.

Hottest months are June, July and August. I have been every month except Jan and Feb and I like June and October. Take into account when the clocks change as the sun will go down earlier in the winter.

Have you considered a Nile cruise? That way you get to see more of the real Egypt and the afternoons are spent lazing by the plunge pool watching the world go by. Its a great way to meet people too as you all sit on the same table for your meals. The boats normally put on entertainment each night as well.

We enjoyed ours so much that I have booked another in a couple of weeks on board Mojito. I fly up from Sharm on a Sunday and stay the night in Old Winter Palace and drive down to Edfu to pick the boat up on a Monday and sail down to Aswan and back to Luxor on the Friday flying back to Sharm on the Friday night. Cost for the boat full board and excusrions was just £350 for both of us, return flights from Sharm £100 each and £34 for 2 for the hotel.

If you like to wander out of the hotel in the eves you are better looking for a hotel in either Nabq, Old Market area or Naama. Most all inclusive hotels will however be outside Naama.

Jaz Mirabel in Nabq is a nice all inclusive resort with lots going on in the day time around the pools. The Marriott mountainside is lovely but only b n b.
We stayed at Hilton Sharks Bay but wasnt overly impressed. The in laws stayed at the Savoy and said it was lovely. Outside here you have the new Soho Square. Most will have their fave hotel but someone elses taste will not be yours.
Hi John

If you fancy a 4* AI hotel that is quite laid back and that receives mostly British guests (many AI hotels are dominated by Russians and Italians) you could look at the Red Sea Holiday Village or the Coral Sea Resort at Nabq Bay, they are only offered by First Choice and you can book on-line or over the telephone. In the buffet at the Holiday Village you dont have to get dressed up at all. It also has three included a la carte restaurants where they ask gents to wear long trousers, most wore either jeans, linesn or three quarter length cotton trousers, so still quite casual.

it will be hot in September but you should be able to cope. Hotest months are July and August.

Doe :sun2
We have only stayed at 2 hotels in sharm . Twice at the hilton in sharks bay that we love and will be returning to next year and The sonesta Beach resort down in naama Bay.

Plus's and minus 's with both really . Much more going on at the hilton by Egypian standards, a nice atmosphere with plenty of Engish there on the both times we have been (Easter) but nothing ouside of the hotel to wander to . Not a fabulous beach but the reef here is suberb and marine life fantastic. The sonesta Beach resort was a good hotel but entertainment in the evenings we thought pretty grim and more mixed in terms of nationalities . Not such a connection with the Sea there that you get further along the coast , Sea not as clear and marine life not as good but you are within walking distance of Naama Bay if that is important to you .

TBH I dont think you will tick every box John so it will come down to what is the most important to you.

lyn
I think Lyn makes a good point of not being able to tick every box with Egypt. I think depending on what you mean by entertainment. Sharm is not really great for this compared to the AI hotels you get in mainland Spain, the Canaries or even places like Turkey and Greece that are geared up for people who want hotel based entertainment.

Folks that stay in Namma bay tend to go Bed and Breakfast and make their entertainment going into the town, selection a restaurant to eat at having and then maybe having a stroll going into a differnt bar for a drink and a look round the shops.

There are couple of clubs for the younger ones but am assuming that is not the kind of thing you are looking for. There is an Egyptian sow at Fantasia, it is performed in English on the Saturday, you would need to either go on an organised trip or get a cab up there and pay on the gate.
Thanks for everyone's help

Friends went to the LTI Tropicana Granbd Azure last September and thotoughly enjoyed it

So that is another one for us to consider

Jaz Mirabel Beach Resort
LTI Grand Axure
Coral Sea Resort
Red Sea Holiday Village
Coral Sea Imperial

Cheers

John
hiya, id recommend the coral sea resort, its a wonderful place to chill out and relax. you dont need to get dressed up for meals, casuals fine. main entertainment is dancers or audience participaition. we did mini disco for little one then relaxed out side on the veranda at night with a cold gin and tonic in the warm evening breeze of a beautiful night, over looking the fabulous grounds lit up by thousands of lights wrapped around the exotic palm trees, and enjoy the occasional delights of a passing ship sailing by
Hi - if you havent got kids then dont go anywhere near CSR or HV!!! Not for wedding anniversary!!! TBH why people r recommending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are First Choice! Family holidays. If you like Butlins hols / Sat nite in local workings mens club - then this is for you x
Have You stayed in either of them nana26 ?

I've stayed in the HV and presumably dcoops has stayed in the Coral Sea. Jaytrip who I beleive is retired has stayed in HV and it was just her and her hubbie and she didn't have a problem with there being families there. The OP wants an AI and its a fact that all AI's have families in them. The OP maybe going outside of school holidays anyway. There are also plenty of English at these hotels so you dont feel outnumbered and get pushed and shoved out of the way like you do in most AI hotels in Sharm.

I think it is very patronising to say they are 'butlins in the sun'. In the sense that they are very popular with many people going three and four times perhaps that is what you mean. :que

I must admit I have never been in a working mans club in my life, but I don't beleive them to be full of lovely gardens, with great landscaping and beautifully scented flowers whose perfume fills the air as you walk from the top of the resort down to the a la carte restaurants.

I am also not aware of many working mens clubs with private swim-up pools exclusive to guests that pay a small supplement, but perhaps the working mens clubs you go to have these ? :que

At least these hotels have got entertainment which is more than you can say for most of the hotels in Sharm, and the HV has four a la carte restaurants, three of which are included in the price, plus the sea food a la carte restaurant (La Mer) on the beach which is in a pretty gorgeous setting.

Doe
  • Edited by doe 2009-06-07 23:03:45
have you considered el gounna, it seems that you can leave the hotel and go to the marina or daown town for the evening if the entertainment isnt to good. we are booked to go the rhianna in sept. and this is the reason we booked it, last year we went to sharm but it was a good few miles by taxi into naam bay if we felt like a change of scene.
El Gouna sounds like it might be a good bet nuttynet. I am worried that so many hotels in Sharm have some kind of terraces and slopes going down towards the sea, even in the flater areas, that they may not be suitable for the OP and as you say the flater places like Nabq Bay are a long way from Namma Bay in a cab if you want a change of scene.
I must admit if I was going away for a wedding anniversary then I would not stay at HV. I have been there twice and we will probably go back again next year as we love it but I think it is more geared towards children.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.