Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi Steve,

Tonyt's report of last year in Albena/Varna HERE and menu photos HERE should give you some idea - Albena prices tend to be slightly higher than those in SB or GS.

The EU accession may have had some effect on prices but, until the season starts, the possible effects are anyone's guess.

Baldur
Hi Steve, having been to both SB and GS i would recommend you only go B&B as hotel food tends to be the same thing over and over and not really catering for the English, but there is plenty of choice in the restaurants and it's cheap to eat out, prices might go up a bit, but i still think it will be cheap compared to places like Spain. SB is busier than GS although they both have plenty of clubs and bars. If your going to take cash be aware that all notes have to be clean with no writing on them or tears in them or they won't change them for you, hope this helps.
Suzie
Click Here to read our reviewers resort reports for these areas.

:D
hi there , :D
myself , partner and 10 year old daughter travelled to sunny beach in June last year and had a fantastic holiday . Stopped in a 5 * accomadation on the sea front called Helena Sands Hotel . I would definately reccomend that you not go below a 4 * hotel as some can be poor .
Well i would say that prices are cheaper than here in the UK but in the tourist areas prices are higher than the outskirts , arond £1 per pint , same for soft drinks . Some pubs do special offers though to drag you in and you can pay as little as 50 p per pint . The weather can be a little unpredictable . We had some of the worst weather they had seen for a while , but i can say it soon dried up and goes really hot . Be aware of pick pockets too , we were nearly had as we were browsing around a shop . Restaurants serve fantastis food from steaks to pizza and everything in between , reasonably priced . Never had a dodgy stomach all holiday which is good for us .
Saw a dancing bear on the streets which we found horrific but just look away and they walk past you . people are friendly , especially if you have money to spend ... Any have posted some pictures of the hotel we stayed at which we booked through Thompson ... from jackie in stoke :lol:
Hi all, we are staying at the Golden Dreams this year, just behind the complex is the biggest and cheapest supermarket in Sunny Beach, last years prices for an example were £1.50 for a full cooked chicken from the deli counter, ribs and pork were under £1.00, 500cl of becks and stella worked out at about 30p, and a nice bottle of wine was around 80p, this was the promoted wine they were serving in Djanny's, so as you can guess if you know Sunny Beach it was really nice. Sure there is no guarantee on the prices for this year with the EU, i still think its worth the gamble going self catering. cheers, Paul.
i am having the same problem aswel not knowing where to go as i have hered both resorts are good!!:S
I cant comment on Golden Sands as i have only ever been to Sunny Beach, this will be our 10th visit, some advice i can give is that if you are interested in self catering, check the location of the apartments in respect to distance from the centre and the beach (thats if you want to be near the centre). There are lots of new developments ongoing, some of which are along way from the centre, and are surrounded by building work. Paul.
I've not been to Golden Sands either so I can't comment about there but in my opinion one of the best things about Sunny Beach is its proximity to Nessebar.

The cobbled streets in the old town are just superb and it is like having two holiday locations in one as they are so close to each other. I also wouldn't dismiss the new town of Nessebar for a good night out especially some of the bars and restaurants towards where the locals live.

These is also a great Chinese as you walk into new Nessebar on the left past the Panorama hotel..... can't wait to get back 8)
Steve, Having been to both resorts We prefer SB, saying that, this year we are going to GS staying at the Iberostar Obzor Hotel.
SB is a very flat resort,no steep roads etc., to worry about, whereas GS is built onto a hill and if you happen to get a hotel in the back of the resort then be prepared to come back fitter than when you went.

Both resorts have plenty of nightlife and decent restaurants, both food and drink prices are very,very cheap compared to say Spain. Ample choice too, Chinese,Indian,Local cuisine etc., In GS there is even Big Ben's fish'n' chips shop.
Plenty of self catering in SB ( look at map to see where the apts are though ) if in a hotel try and get B&B. Sometimes if we like the hotel we have gone H/B but still always have our evening meal out.

Hope this is of some help.

8) Toonman
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.