General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
hi WHY wast lougage allowance taking food to the Med.. good food is cheeper than the uk and plentiful you will find all major resorts will have supermarkets the larger ones may have a hypermarket and most have Butchers the milk is mainly UHT full or half fat as we get in the uk..

brian
Have to agree with thependlewitch; good fresh food is plentiful
and not expensive and butter and milk are just the same. If bacon and sausages are your thing you can get them too. I don't think you should waste baggage allowance even if you could take it.
The only thing we take is a big jar of coffee this we have found to be more exspensive abroad
When we visited Portugal last October the nearest supermarket was a Lidl pretty much the same stuff as in Britain but with a few local variations. And you knew you were not being charged over inflated tourist prices for the food and bottled water.
ill be honest i prefer certain home comforts, but to be honest again, on holiday in Greece, everyone uses Lurpak Spreadable which i cant live without, and Nescafe so you cant lose really, the bacon in Greece is fantastic, just have to find the supermarket that the locals use not the touristy ones and you dont pay the earth for stuff

dont take anything with you unless your sure you cant live without it and cant get it where your going
We always take a jar of coffee for that important first arrival cup, when nothing is open and you must have your fix. Never found the need to take anything else. The cool box would be a good idea to get stuff home but I dont think import/export of food stuff is allowed.
Each to their own Steamy, and as you don't say why you are doing this, maybe someone in the family has a special diet, however if that's not the case then I personally wouldn't take meat or diary products -
a) they will be readily available somewhere like the Algarve
b) if you get delayed, it could go off
c) some countries don't allow you to import/export meat products

Firstly and foremostly though, check with your airline carrier as they may not allow it.

Dawn
We used to take bacon and sausages yogether with hp sauce on our trips abroad years ago but now walking round a foreign supermarket you see all the usual english foodstuffs - bear in mind a lot of food in the uk supermarkets is caaned abroad . just returned from poland and made 2 visits to a tesco hypermarket and they sold english food even in eastern europe
When we used to go self catering we always took a cool bag (packed in the case) full of bacon and sausage!
I always find the supermarkets english stuff over priced so if you have the room in your case why not freeze the food first and then put it in a cool bag in your case!
These days we tend to go half Board so theres no need to take food as you have nothing to cook it on anyway!
The first time we went abroard together we didn't have much spending money so we took sausage, bacon, pot noodles, everything and it really did help with the money situation!
The only time we didn't take anything on a self catering holiday was a couple of years ago when they banned it because of foot and mouth!
Cheers
Lee
hi

the only grocery items i take with me to majorca is biscuits and sweets for kids....oh also i bag of millies cookies from the airport!! :P

best wishes

ali
We always take a cool bag in our hand luggage when travelling to a studio/apartment/villa.

As we usually have a toddler with us we will have milk, Thomas the Tank Engine Ham (toddler won't eat any other ham), bacon, Richmonds Irish Recipe Sausages (see Tommy Tank ham) and other bits and bobs.
We always take a hard cooler box packed with food when we go self catering cos i don't go on holiday to food shop :wink: .We just check it in with the other luggage and have never had a problem with it :)
Sue
I never food shop on holiday( I do but for nice wine and beer), eat out at every oppotunity!! :lol:

MIL takes cook bag with bacon sausage etc as FIL likes hie breakfasts!
I just take 2 bottles of daughters milk in a very small cool bag that fits in my back pack.

Other food items I take on holiday is packet noodles and pasta ( quick and easy for kids)
sachets of coffee for me! :wink:
Due to food intollerances i always take a supply of soya milk, and if self catering i take frozen veggie burgers/sausages in a cool bag, also soya cheese and tofu - never been stoped yet about it - always take sealed packs of food. Going on a cruise this year and as im virtually vegan will be taking protein powder, soya milk etc... hope im ok taking the protein powder as its like one of those drums of body builders powder! Am finding it a real struggle eating out now i cant eat egg/dairy and am allready veggie :shock:

Alison :D
Crikey, I didn't realise so many people took some much stuff on holiday.

Even when we are self catering the only things I take are washing up liquid, tea towel and tea bags! We usually just have juice and fruit for brekkie on holiday so that's easily bought and we eat out the rest of the time.
Crikes neither did I. I never see the point when I can get what I need where we are going. Like yourself puddleduck I take mini washing up liquid and little bottles filled with washing liquid and fabric softener just in case we need to rinse things out, a couple of tea towels and my own corkscrew (just in case).
Well you say you don't see the point as you can buy the food there and then you say you take washing up liquid and fabric softner! Surely you can buy this there too?
Yes chivas but I take travel sizes (my own decanted into small plastic bottles) , just in case we need to rinse anything through. I also need to stick to the same one as I have very sensitive skin when it comes to soap powders. The last thing I need on holiday is to have a break out.
Yes chivas I take my own decanted into small plastic bottles as I have very sensitive skin when it comes to soap and have to stick to the same ones. The last thing I need on holiday is to have a break out.

Could someone please delete as i have posted twice due to not seeing the first show up :oops: Thank you
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.