General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I suggest that you ask first!
As far as payment is concerned, a few rupees would generally be seen as a decent form of thanks, but no need to go overboard.
I will leave it for others to suggest reasonable amounts but would have thought that 10-20 rps would be ok especially if clicking on kiddies.
just thought as I typed that, there are fairly strict rules to protect kiddies from paedophiles (as there should be) so beware of the type of innocent pics that may be misconstrued.
del949
It is quite usual for the Indian Tourists to ask if they can have their photos taken with you. Makes you feel quite important sometimes.
I think it can be quite patronising taking picturews of the locals on the basis thqat they may be different or "interesting" looking.

Of course some p[eople wont mind but I think proportionality is the key to it, and perhaps put yourselves in their shoes.
Taking pictures... I guess you just have to think... Would you mind if someone came up to you in the street and took your photo... OK, I'm one who LOVES taking photos, but most of the ones I do take I already know, but I don't think I'd offer money to someone if I did... If you do then you'll make them into the priests who take the elephants round and ask you for 100's of Rupees for a photo of their elephant... Poor elephant... Anyway... Ask, many realise that tourism has it's benefits and it's drawbacks... So choice is yours...
Same as Rob said, we usually only take photos of people we know, quite often because they want us to take it, I have never offered money but usually get a copy of the photo to give to them.
I always feel there's an element of superiority to this that makes me very uncomfortable. Last year on a trip out, a woman spent a lot of her time taking pictures of the locals in various poses and to me I just had visions of her showing people back home and there was a touch of imperialism to it that was very "I'm more civilized than you". I understand not every one is into using a roll of film on a woman sitting sleeping outside a mud hut but there must be a happy medium somewhere. Equally, my 7 year old has waist length blonde hair and we spent the whole holiday with people asking to take her photo or to have their photo taken with her. She was becoming quite distressed as she's shy, one woman picked her up 1 day and ran over to her family where they all touched her skin, pinched her cheeks and kissed her. This lasted seconds and we quickly rescued her because she was distraught. the owner of the shack we go to was furious and shouted at this woman then made my little girl her favourite banana lassi!! I think a firm no should work. I didn't in this case but I will be more aware this year.
This is just my personal opinion and no offence is intended :no
:| Point taken guys...I appreciate your views and understand the implications of taking pictures of locals. Would never want to patronise the Goans by showing pictures to friends at home to demonstrate myself as "more civilised". It's just merely a hobby of mine and having taken over 280 pictures in three days in New York this year knew that going to Goa would be another chance to try my hand at it.

In Thailand last year a coachload of Japanese Tourists turned up at a temple my hubby and I were visiting. We were asked over and over again if they could take a picture of us, we still don't understand why, and felt slightly flattered, confused but certainly not offended.

Anyway...to sum up...will think first before snapping.
I love photography and there are many times I don't take photos because I think too much... the best ones can be when people don't know you're taking them as it's gives a sense of real life to them, I definately don't take them to think 'I'm more civilized than you', furthest thing from my mind, I take them because I think seeing true emotion or life is so much better than this false image so many give in england with their layers of makeup etc (no offense guys :wink: ) On a holiday in Cuba once I really wanted to take a picture of this woman with a HUGE cigar in her mouth, but didn't because I thought about if I should or not... Now I've lost the oppotunity and only have the memory... I've probably only got the memory as it would have made on heck of a good photo! Oh well... I think I'm just rambling on about nothing so I'm off....
this thread has made me think of the photos I have of locals in the places I have been to. However, the ones I have are usually happy, or looking contented with their world, or just carrying on with their day to day lives. They capture the reason why I enjoyed my holidays there rather than a purely beach resort filled with tourists only!
This is getting quite complicated and philosophical BUT I agree people capture the mood of the place - it's that, that is real but even the woman smoking her cigar in cuba, for instance, in her head it's her space and her time, it's all about that to her and who are we to capture that as a moment of what the place is to us? I know I'm getting too deep into this and last year I went to the jungle book trip there was a moment where the sun was setting and 1 of the more experieced mahoouts (think I've spelled that wrong) was watching the young man who had been assigned to the baby elephant (he's young because he'll grow up with the elephant) . In my head I have an image of the mahout leaning on a tree cigarette in mouth, in the background jumbo and his mahout playing and the sunset behind that. I remember thinking the same - should I take a photograph it will be a stunning shot? I decided against it because the moment was so 'theirs' and I didn't even want a click to spoil that tranquil moment. Also I feel once it's captured on film it's ceases to be that spectacular moment. It's still in my head and it's still vivid but maybe it wouldn't have meant as much on paper and it certainly wouldn't have meant the same to others who weren't there at that time so if it's in my head I don't need it on paper. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense and maybe if I ever have grand children or the images are fading I'll think "why didn't i take that photo of the image of the mahout in Goa?" :hmmm
Deep... :) - The only problem with not taking photos is that, well there's a few...

1. I'm getting on a bit now and my memory isn't quite as good as it was... OK, I'm only 32 (I think?? - See there you go... can't even remember my age properly!) but those nuerons (or how ever you spell it, or what ever they are) aren't firing quite like they should...

2. If I do remember it then, it might not be quite as it was... I might add a few things or loose lots...

3. It's always good to be refreshed with the little details... the cigar ash falling as she smiles... etc etc etc...

Sorry, I still wish I'd taken it... Professional photographers get away with it... Although, going to the huge lengths that they do to get really fuzzy shots of someone kissing someone else... Do we really care...? I'm more interested in GOOD photos...
Rob - taking photo`s as you know is a natural thing for the majority of us to do whilst on holiday - memories - for us only. But we are increasingly having to be reminded of the need to be careful and to ask - when pointing your lense directly at someone, be aware of privacy - also extra care when children are in the frame - "If you can`t take photo`s at your local swimming pool in england" don`t try to do it in goa is my personal feeling. Brian :P
maybe zoom is the answer at least it's not in your face ha ha
I think this is too interesting a post to keep only on the India forum so I am going to move it to General Enquiries/tips. You will still be able to access it from the India forum.
It can be a great help to learn a little of the language before you travel; If you can ask politely in the local tongue if it's o.k. to take a photo, it's amazing how much co-operation this often produces.
It can be a great help to learn a little of the language before you travel; If you can ask politely in the local tongue if it's o.k. to take a photo

I think you have hit the nail on the head there :wink:

besos xxx
sanJi
must admit,i have taken photo's of the locals,on our travels & they have always,been more than happy,for me to take them!
i certainly don't think,of myself as being,more superior.
the goans certainly didn't mind!
tend to take them more,in countries where,their way of life,is totally different to ours.
where you see them,doing something,which you would never,normally see.
tracy
If its any help, i used to work as a cycle rickshaw rider in london for 4 years (had a great time but to many bikes now!) and as we were seen as something to photograph we got our picture taken loads. my personal view was that as long as someone asked me they where more than welcome to take a photo. On the flip side it really does get on your nerves when you are trying to make a living and people just get in your way and are plain rude to you just because they think you are an object like buckingham palace or something.
Personally speaking,if we have ever taken photos whilst been on Holiday, I have never included "locals" in our photos :roll:

If i did need to though, i would definately ask their permission first though, to take the photo, out of respect. And to be curtious :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.