Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Tap water
16 Posts
no just buy the large bottled waters, the water tastes wierd even if for cleaning teeth. its not expensive. couple of lira (but that was last year in icmeler). or if on AI they may have water dispensers on site.

Bev
We were recently in Hisaronu and used the tap water for tea/coffee, cleaning teeth.
I lived in Turkey and we always drank bottled water and used it for making tea (or the tea wont be clear). I used to cook with tap water though and clean my teeth with it.
I have always boiled tap water for tea or coffee,havnt noticed any difference in the taste.
Thanks for the advice guys,
just didnt want to risk any upset tummys.
You probably wont notice any difference in the taste but if you drink tea black, like Turkish people do, you would notice that it wasn't clear. The Turks always boil bottled water for their tea.

It is unlikely to upset your tummy either, it just has more minerals than we have so doesn't taste very nice, it is quite chloriney and has a lot of lime.

Best stick with bottles. Turkish people all drink bottled water too :)
Must have been our coffee as we didn't notice any difference at all (Kenco 3 in 1)
I don't drink coffee so I couldn't tell you ;)
I always thought that when you boiled water it eradicated all the impurities so even tap water was safe to drink :que Maybe I'm wrong- it has been known to happen :rofl
There's so much limescale in the water in Turkey though - to me it doesn't taste all that nice. Bottled water is cheap.

Ä° have stainless steel pans and even use bottled water for cooking in as the tap water makes such a mess of the stainless steel! And Ä° wouldn't dream of using my washing machine without adding Calgon!

You will find that even the Turkish people use bottled water for drinking - and when in Rome as they say.

Ä° do clean my teeth in tap water though.

Jak xx
I don't think we are necessarily talking about eradicating impurities, Shirley it's more to do with the composition of the water and the taste. Boiling it can kill germs, but can't change the composition.
We always use bottled water for everything in any country, purely because the minerals etc., will be different whether we are told it is safe to drink or not, why risk a couple of days with a dodgy tummy when our holidays are so hard-earned.
  • Edited by Alfie 2011-07-25 15:15:10
i agree that there's no point risking upset tummies if we're not certain the water's safe. we normally use bottled water for drinking but tap for cleaning teeth and even boiling a couple of eggs for breakfast when we've been self catering.
It isn't a case of the water not being safe but if it has more minerals than we are used to it could possibly make your tummy a bit upset if you drink it.
Exactly the point I was trying to get across Kedi.
yes, I do understand your points- maybe I should have explained myself better. when I say unsafe, I don't mean that you'll die by drinking it, I just mean that I wouldn't want to risk having the runs or anything worse :think
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.