Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Tavira
6 Posts
Hi Dave,
When are you thinking of going to Tavira? Where will you stay?
I know in the summer months there is very often live music in the square on a Saturday night and many of the bars/restaurants have a singer/guitar player. Not too sure about other nightlife as we stay in Cabanas and tend to go to Tavira at night only occasionally for a meal. But if it's discos and busy nightlife you're after, don't think you'll get it there!!!
Also I have not been across to the beach there but my friend said it was beautiful and there are places to eat/drink too.
I pay about 40 euros to Cabanas so your fare should be less to Tavira (35??)
The train station is at the top of the town and it will take you less than 10 minutes (downhill) to walk to the main square, not far at all.
You can easily visit places like Cabanas, Monte Gordo, Vila Real, Olhao and lots of other places by train or bus if you don't have a car.
Any other questions, I'll be glad to answer if I can.
Pat
:glynis
Hello Pat,
We are thinking of going next summer first two weeks in July and we are thinking of going to the Vila Gale hotel as we have stayed in the one at Albufeira, were we have been about five times, this year we tryed Lagos and found it very nice bar the wind.
We are to old now days to be let in a Disco, me eyes are seventeen but the rest of me will be fifty seven when we go next year :cry
they don't even give me those flyers anymore, all we are after is a nice meal and a few drinks after with a bit of music if it is there.
One year we did hire a car and got to most places along the Algarve so after useing the Train this year we find it more easy to get about as we pick places along the rail line and is not so hot and sweaty as the bus with more room to move about.
Well thanks for your reply the only other thing is if you do go to Tavira for meals can you name a few good reataurants for me to try.

Dave.
Hi Dave,
We have stayed in Vila Gale Tavira (in January) and it was really nice, can recommend it. There is also Vila Gale Albacora but that is not so central.(but not too far away either but I would go for Tavira)
You are ages with us so I think you might find Tavira fine....for 2 weeks think you might want to travel about for a few days 'tho. Train travel will be no problem as I said already as you are less than 10 mins walk away.
I can also recommend a few restaurants, A Bica, O Arco and as I will be there in Sept, I will look out another couple whose name I can't remember and let you know on my return.
Any more info you want let me know as I can find it out in Sept!!!( if I don't already know :tongue
Pat
:glynis
I've stayed at the Vila Gale Tavira several times and have done a review in the Hotels section (top left of the screen). It's a decent hotel with a quiet pool area. Prices via the likes of Expedia can be considerably less than booking direct. Tavira station to the hotel is only about 10 minutes walk if you go direct, if you do book here send me a PM and I'll give you the directions - do not follow the sign outside the station, that's for motorists and goes way out. The bus station is across the town centre and services are limted but in peak season it is theoretically possible to visit Seville on a long day trip.

The beach is on an island a few hundred yards off shore and is linked by a boat shuttle, however the dock at Quatro Aguas is some walk from the town centre. During July there should be a direct but more expensive ferry from the landing stage near the hotel. When I first went the hotel ran a free shuttle bus to the dock but that seems to have stopped. There are a number of restaurants at the start of the beach, then some organised sun lounger areas and then it's just wide open sand for miles to the south. The hotel also has it's own boat but last time I was there it was running to a beach near Cabanas where the hotel had the franchise.

My favourite restaurant in town was the Beira Rio which is on the quay across the river from the bus station (off the Roman Bridge, down the alley by the souvenir shop), when I first went it was run by a German bloke and was good but last year it had been bought by three Irishmen and was even better - but is not an Irish theme pub! Hopefully they are still there.

The Albaquora is some distance out of town down a long dusty road and really needs a car or a taxi on call.
Thanks Pat and steve, its looking like we are going to go there but won't book anything till after Xmas as we still have two holidays to go this year, and one still to pay for another big deposet is just a bit much at the moment.
Thanks again,
Dave.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.