Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Tavira
40 Posts
welcome to the Portugal board of HT, if you look at the blue banner near the top of the index page you will find links to the hotel report forum and the resort report forum along with other usefull links

wizard
Hi Michelle,
Tavira is a beautiful town in my opinion with lots to see. If you want to go to the beach, you have to get a water taxi across the river.
There are loads of shops, banks, supermarkets etc and plenty of restaurants, bars.
There is a bus station where you can travel around and also the train station at the top end of the town where you can travel all along the coast as far as Lagos in the west and Vila Real in the east. (we don't drive either).
If you want any info on places to go to just ask. We stay in Cabanas (the nearest village to Tavira) and we will be there the last 2 weeks in September. We always take the bus into Tavira a few times.
Pat
:glynis
Hi
thanks for the replies.

I go to Tavira on 27/09/09 - 11/10/09 - does the water taxi still run then. Is the weather ok to visit the beach at the end of September (I know that these days cant take the weather for granted) as I have never been on holiday so late in the year before.

Pat - I will be contacting you for places to visit, if you dont mind. My ideal holiday is just to laze around and have a couple of days out, however, my other half doesnt do holidays and only goes to keep me quiet (or so he says) so I have to try and keep him amused - its worst now than when the kids were small.
Michelle
Hi Michelle,
Yes, I'm sure the water taxi runs then....I am going the 1st week in June, so will check for you. We always go in September and have found the weather to be marvellous....much better than in May/June when we also go. We are going from 17th Sept - 1st Oct.....so maybe we will bump into each other..... :wave:
No probs re contacting me for info....obviously you don't get to see so much not having a car but we always manage to get to places using the train and the bus.
Where are you staying in Tavira?
Pat
If you need train and bus times for Tavira, please consult my webspace

http://www.algarvebus.info/006.htm for trains

Tavira buses on the same site, pages 015.htm and 029.htm

Hope that helps and enjoy your trips.
hello Michelle

Tavira is a good choice for non drivers as long as you don't stay at the Vila Gale Albacora which is way out of town.

A useful site I stumbled on recently is http://www.taviraguide.com This appears to be privately run and is in English, it's very good.

The local council's site isn't as useful (or quick) but now includes the best map of Tavira I've seen at http://www.cm-tavira.pt/cmt/parameters/cm-tavira/files/File/Mapa_Tavira.pdf
Hi Pat
Not sure of the address yet, booked through Owners Direct, but in the info it says 200m to the Aldi - does this give you any ideas.

ive looked at the info re buses and trains (cant believe how much detail has been put into it) will definately be taking a copy with me. It just seems so long to wait. I usually go away at the beginning of the year but due to my father recently taken ill have had to put it on hold. Dont know if I can - surfing the net at the moment for some cheap flights away

Michelle
Hi Michelle,
There isn't an Aldi in Tavira but there is a Lidl......is that what you mean? If so you are very close to the train station.
If you want to pm me with the reference number for owners direct, I'll have a look and see if I know exactly where it is.
Where are you flying from?
Pat
Apologies, there is an Aldi but it is beside the cemetery which is a little further out of the town.
Pat
Hi Pat
Dont know if Im doing something wrong but I am unable to use the pm facility.

I am flying from leeds & Bradford. Will let you know the ref no tomorrow as its on my works e-mail address.

Do you have an apartment in Cabanas.

Michelle
Hi Pat

My reference number is P5995

Michelle
Excuse me for butting but I think this is part of a residential block I saw them building about 4 years ago, on the street linking the level crossing (at the east of the station) and the cemetery roundabout. I'd say you're in square N3 of the Tavira map (linked above). That's only a few minutes walk to the station and about 10 to the centre. It's also about 10-15 to the market and water bus quay but the route is less obvious. It's a bit higher than the centre with a gentle but continuous climb back out from everywhere except the station/Lidl/Aldi.
Hi Michelle,
Steve has got it spot on, that is exactly where they are. You are really handy for the station which will help you when travelling. As usual, the one thing to bear in mind when going by train is that many of the stations are outside of the main towns but, if I remember correctly, Cubsur's site tells you which ones these are.
I would say it's probably a leisurely stroll of about 20 minutes down to the waterfront and main square from where your apartment is. (it looks nice)

To use the PM facility, you just click on the pm button at the bottom of my posting and then type and send your message to me.
Pat
Michelle won't be able to pm yet as she hasn't made enough posts. We had to enforce this rule when we found members were being spammed via pm by new members.
Thanks, Glynis, didn't realise that.
Pat
Hi Steve/Pam
Thanks for that - Best not pack too many heels then, otherwise I wont be walking back up the hill.

Michelle
Just a point about the "water-bus". I'm not sure it will be running from the town quay that late in the season but the little shuttle ferry from Quatro Aguas might be on fine days. In that case it might be an idea to get a taxi from the station.
Hi Steve
Will bear that in mind. Im printing off all these tips to take with me. I think these sites are ideal as you dont have to spend the first week trying to aclimatize yourself and find where things are and then only have a week to relax, you know all the whereabouts etc before you go. So all this information is gratefully received.

Plus, I think these taxis will be used a lot when Im there, allergic to any form of exercise

Michelle
In that case you'll need to get some numbers. The main taxi rank is near the cinema in town (square J10 of the map) and has a phone you can call. They only tend to wait at the station when trains from Faro are due, and even then it isn't guaranteed. The main buses on cubsurs site are for linking other towns and don't stop at many places in Tavira. There is a town bus which goes round a complicated circuit all day without getting anywhere, this seems to change every year (but the posters at the stops don't!) so it's hard to work out whether it would be any use but it might get you back from the market.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.