Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Re: Tavira
40 Posts
Michelle,
Don't worry. We often get the bus from Cabanas in to Lidl's for some shopping and we have always got a taxi no problem from there. I think more are waiting there at the train station/Lidl than before in the hope that shoppers will use them.
As for the water taxi, I will ask for you when I am there in June and let you know when it stops. I know the one that runs in Cabanas stops at the end of October but not sure about the one in Tavira.
I will also find out the names of restaurants that we like there as I know where they are but can't remember all their names..... :banghead:
I will also let you know places that we have visited by train or bus without too much hassle to get there and are worth the visit.
Pat
:glynis
Hi
What taxi firm do you use for your transfer for the airport. I usually use resort hopper but they seem to be slightly more expensive than some of the others advertised on the internet.

Michelle
We usually get a taxi from a friend of mine in Cabanas who has a contract with a guy from Tavira taxis. He charges slightly less than the meter. I think it is nearly 45 euros now but will be about 40 I think to Tavira.
This time, we have arranged with a friend from the village to come and pick us up.... :wave:
Pat
Hi Pat
Thanks for the reply. Will book nearer the time so got plenty of time to pick my transfer taxi.

Michelle
Hello,
could any body tell me is it easy to get to Cabanas from Tavira on the bus, how often do they run and what is the cost? also what would be the best place to have lunch once we are there?
Dave.
Cabanas - Tavira bus times

Please see this page on my website

http://www.algarvebus.info/029.htm

no buses late in the evenings, or on Saturday afternoons nor all day Sundays.

I recall there may be a ferry between Cabanas and Tavira in the summer but I have no details myself.

You can also walk 3/4 mile from Cabanas to the little station at Conceicao and take a train into Tavira. Daily service but only every 2 - 3 hours

same site, page 006.htm

Hope that helps.
Hi,
It is easy to get to Cabanas by bus or train as long as you know the times.... :D . When we were there, there were buses on a Saturday afternoon but fewer than midweek. If I remember correctly, it's 1.90 euro one way each. The train is cheaper but you have to walk down from Conceicao (15 mins).

As for lunch, there are loads of places. Do you want a snack or cheap meal (cafe/bar) or a nicer restaurant? If you let me know what you are after, I will tell you best places to go.
Pat
cubsur

the Tavira - Cabanas ferry might be run by the Vila Gale Hotels, last time I was there they had a poster up in reception. I suspect anyone who knew the times could pay to use it since the hotel guests had to pay anyway, they won't be fussy who they take money off!
Hello Pat, It would be more of a snack as we have our main meal at night, but don't mind having a nice bit of fish at lunch time and then just a small dinner later (no starter/pudding)

Hello cubsur, thanks for the info about the transport I must wright some of this down and take it with me.

Dave.
Hiya,
We do the same, so go to O Escalho ( closed on Thursdays). It is set in a residential area. You want to be at the supermarket (MP) facing away from the front and up to Conceicao, you will see across the road a phone box and you want to turn right there through the local houses and go straight ahead till you see the church and O Escalho is right beside it serving snacks, burgers, toasties but also local dishes and small plates of Portuguese cuisine. They are very friendly and speak very good English. Or you might want to Try CRC along the main front next to the fish/fruit market. Fluent English spoken, best view in Cabanas upstairs but slightly less choice for snacks.....toasties, burgers ( closed Sundays)
Anymore info just ask
Pat
Sorry, meant to say if you want a nice piece of fish, go to Grelha Peixe right on the main front and next to the primary school or it's sister restaurant next doors Petiscos e Mariscos.
Pat
Thank Pat, I am sure there will be a need for more info before we go but as you know it will be more on Tavira than cabanas.
Dave.
Hello all, it is well known that we will be in tavira in a few weeks time, well July 3rd for a two week holiday. We have always wanted to go to Saville in Spain but it is not very easy to get a flight from the Midlands, I know you can go there from the Algarve on the bus, has any body gone there from Tavira and if so how long does it take to get there, and do you have much time once there?

Thanks,
Dave.
Hi Dave,
If I remember correctly the bus leaves fron Tavira about 9.00. It takes just under 3 hours I think but when you look at the time of the bus back (can't remember the exact time but look at Cubsur's site) it's hardly worth going. I think you really need an overnight stay to be honest as there is so much to see and do there and even then you won't see too much.....
Pat
The current timetable has only four buses a day Tavira - Seville thus:

EVA/DAMAS service

Tavira leave 0905, Seville arrive 1300 and at 1620 arrive Seville 2015 - a three hour journey and remember the time difference!

Seville leave 0730 arrive 0925 and 1615 arrive 1810.

There are more buses from mid-June, or at least there were last year but at the time of writing the timetable for 2009 is not known to me. Last year it was changed without prior warning.

ALSA service

Tavira leave 0230 arrive Seville 0545 or at 1620 arrive 1945. Buses back at 1500 and midnight.

Getting tickets in Portugal for the ALSA bus is not easy. There is no on-line facility and you must go to the bus station at least 24 hours before intending to travel and during Monday to Friday 'office hours' only.

All the information I know of at http://www.algarvebus.info/001.htm

So a day trip by ordinary bus just isn't feasible.
Thank you both very much, looks like it will have to be a long weekend some time.
Dave.
Right then now that Saville is out, how about getting to Albufeira for the day? I now there is the train but with the wait at faro for the onward train plus the station being on the outskirts this make it a bit of a trip, so is there a bus that goes strait there?

Dave.
Hello all, well we are back from our two week holiday for this year, I have to say that we had a realy good time in Tavira, had some nice meals in there outdoor restaurants. Used the train to go to Faro to meet our friends who were staying in Albufeira, and again to go to Vila Real de St Antonio and then on the ferry to Spain as you do, also used it one day to go to Monte Gordo but not much for this place a bit like Blackpool on a hot day.

We stayed at the Vila Gale Tavira just a short walk to the town centre, nice rooms with good thick clean towels every day, plugs near mirrows for the ladys, very good A/C unit in room kept it cool all day and night. Nice pool area with no fight for a sun bed at most times of the day, drink prices in the bar were a bit on the high side but it is a four star hotel only used it one night when they had Karaoke on.

The town its self is plesent very Portuguese and not full of so called British bars, the only one we found was just over the middle bridge and only went in there once it was red hot with no A/C and the owner was drunk, it was called the Mad Hatters. The area around the old Castle is very nice with its two churchs and the old town walls, whats left of them. The main square is full of life most times of the day and some nights there were free shows put on for the locals.

So I have to say we had a great time in Tavira the weather was just what we like, a trip out to the beach is fun with lots of cafes and even clean toilets, but I have to say that in our view Lagos were we went last summer has the upper hand for us and if we go back to Portugal again next year I think it will be Lagos as it seems to have that little bit more.

Dave.
Hello, you will be glad to know that I never made it to Seville from Tavira, but have just booked a four day trip in October with Ryanair now looking for a good hotel.
Dave.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.