Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Taxi's
9 Posts
From the airport to Naama Bay it is about £8 depending on exactly where your hotel is and should take about 15 minutes.

Haggle hard for the price and if asked if this is your first time to Egypt say no.
Thank you! Do they prefer the english pound to pay with?
Thank you! Do they prefer the english pound to pay with?

It is best if you can pay with Egyptian pounds (LE), you can exchane currency at the goverment fixed rate easily in the airport when you arrive at one of the small banks.
If you are going to get a Visa you can obtain your currency at the same time as getting your Visa, if not you can go to one of the small banks or even an ATM, it is always good to try and get even just a small amount of LE to start you of for tips and paying small items such as your taxi.

Should also mention when you haggle for your taxi make sure that the cost is the total cost for the taxi NOT per person and also make it clear what currency you are talking about.
At risk of sounding a bit daft - I'm presuming the £8 is english pound! I'm planning on taking some egyptian pounds with me.
Yes that will be english Nic . We've only actually used a taxi once and paid in Sterling . Problem is they often quote in Sterling which obviously is easier to understand . If you then ask them to convert into LE you can bet your life they will exchange it in their favour . If you intend to pay in LE make sure you ask for a quote in that first.

Another option which sometimes is a little less stressful is to email your hotel in advance . This is what we always do . Most will collect you for a fee which is often similar anyway .
Althought the current exchange rate has caused a drop in the value of the £ Sterling it is easy to work out the exchange rate to a close valuation at 10LE = £1 so £8 Sterling will be approx 80LE.

So look to pay no more than about 75LE & 95LE which is £8-£10 for your taxi in total.
Word of warning

If paying in Egyptian watch the old scam with the 50E note. They are always trying to dupe people saying you gave them a 50 piastres note (1/2 egyptian pound). These notes are similar colour but the 50E is bigger. Its mainly at night they try this trick assuming the old senses are a bit less sharp!!

regards

Stew
all depends where you are going to stay in sharm useual the hotel private taxi,s are around 40 egp so you want to say around 20 egp to the blue and whites i.e (crazy taxi,s) always agree in price before you get in if not the will rip you off
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.