Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Think this is something the Minister of Tourism and the mayor of Ayia Napa should be made aware of asap.

What a dreadful experience!

Cheers,
Janet
Taxi drivers in Cyprus get a terrible rap generally, and its not surprising given this type of event. Unfortuinately its very common and I've heard of many similar instances.

We always recommend that you agree the price before you get in, but they seem to have done that here anyway.

I would suggest that this type of incident is reported to your tour rep and give it as much publicity as possible - maybe a letter to the Cyprus Mail.

Quite frankly its probably a criminal offence as they were prevented from leaving the cab.

Cyprus is losing enough trade as it is without these robdogs putting even more people off.

It also seems that they like to pick on young girls as my wife and I have not had a problem. What big brave men they are.
I'm Just back myself and stayed in the same area as your daughter and I have to say no 2 taxis were the same price during our whole 2 weeks there :roll:

I was told by Cypriot friends that the £4CYP minimum charge has been replaced by £5CYP this summer into Napa centre from the Macronnisos area. However we were charged everything between £4 and £11 for exactly the same trip at roughly the same time of day ! The BEST and fairest prices we got were when the meter was on....rare occurance I'm afraid. What i couldn't understand was that most evenings we required a limo taxi as there were 7 or 5 of us together at any given time travelling into or back from Ayia Napa centre, this seemed to give the drivers free reign to charge inflated prices due to the people in the cab despite the mileage being the same regardless.......On a couple of occasions when we had to get 2 regular cabs in together even they charged different amounts despite following each other in :roll:

One driver told us that EVERY taxi starts with £2.83 on the meter regardless of where the pick up is made, this is set by the Taxi company for all cabs apparently. But I hardly saw any of them using the meter despite it being unlawful to do so :evil:

having said all that some of the drivers were great and they can't all be tarred with the same brush, one guy picked my nephews up en route to the Go Karts at the Waterpark and didn't charge them a bean as he said he was going that way anyway :wink:

The Taxis in Napa will always remain a mystery to me, even after 20 years of visiting and this being my 33rd trip there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.