Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
My tip would be book your first 2 nights in Bangkok, and a pick-up transfer.

Otherwise you'll arrive late, could get ripped over the airport transfer, check out a couple of places in Khao San Road you won't like, get tired, peeved off, settle for somewhere you don't like, pay over the odds, waste valuable time and hate Bangkok.

At least that's how I did it first time round!

Spend £30 each, for that you'll get a decent (ish!) hotel in Bangkok, and a pick-up, and not have to worry. A friends brother stayed here on the start of his trip: http://www.sawasdee-hotels.com/bangkok/banglumpooinn/index.html and was very happy. Ask them to pick you up. Best £20-£30 you'll spend!
Thanks for that mate, i'l check it out and see

Do you or does anyone else know what it is like for getting hotels in samui or pattaya without pre booking?
just returned stayed at the Majestic Grande on Soi2 Sukhumvit Road Approx £50 per room per night very nice hotel and guest friendly and ideal location for a group of lads.

Should have no problem getting hotels in Samui and Patayya as it is low season and good site to compare hotels is sawadee.com

Good Hunting
definitely get Bangkok sorted- it really isn't a place where you can wander around checking out the hotel. KS should be ok. Are you aware that there is a good chance of a fair bit of rain in Pattaya?
You could have a look at http://www.latestays.com to see what prices they have on late room availibility. I have known people just turn up and end up spending more than people who have booked in advance.
Ok thanks for all the info guys and girls

I think we'll book our hotel in bangkok for 2 nights and then just get our flights to samui and see what happens.

Fiona, I am aware that it is the rainyish season

Will Pattaya be more likely to rain that koh samui or will it all be the same?

Thanks Jon
I have been 3 times to KS in July/August. There had always been some rain but almost always its been early evening. You would really be taking a gamble with Pattaya if you are purely going for the beach life. Of course you could be lucky. If you are set on Pattaya then it might be worth looking at more time in KS first.
A good hotel in Pattaya for a group of lads woul definitely be The Areca lodge on Soi Diana inn.It is inexpensive includes an excellent breakfast and is very central for all the action.

My OH and I usually stay at The Dusit in North pattaya as it is an excellent 4 star resort hotel.However we have stayed at the Areca and I would highly reccomend it.

Check their website(google it)as the rates are exactly the same around 1000 to 1200 bht per night as any agents.

Papa
By the way there will be rain but also lots of sunshine and it will be hot and humid.However with Pattayas nightlife a group of lads together may well not be worried about the rain.You will have a great time in Thailand and once bitten you will be going back

Papa
Just come back from doing similar to what you did - bangkok - samui - phangan - bangkok so can recommend you good, cheap decent hotels - Bangkok we stayed at Arasia Hotel nr sanam pao that's on the sky train route quite nr the centre, cost about £18 each per night and was 3 or 4 * and the place was perfect for the money / location etc. Agree - don't go to bangkok w.out 1st booking anything as your'll waste precious time and probably get ripped off... Samui - we stayed in samui first house - 2 or 3* in Chaweng - worked out about £8 each a night which again was really good for the price - good location for chaweng night life but also quiet and right nr the beach etc. Good to book trips etc.
As for the FMP - are you planning on staying on Phanghan or just going over for it? As it's impossible to find anywhere decent in haad rin around the FMP - also most places you have to stay in min of 5 nights - we stayed at Palita Lodge next door to Tommy's where the FMP is - would highly recommend it but you do have to stay a min of 7 nights there. if you don't want to stay for more than 5 nights, then just book outside haad rin and take a cab to the FMP, Haad Rin etc, or from samui they do trips over just for the FMP. personally i didnt really rate samui, apart from the hotel - would recommend just spending longer in Phangan and maybe just day trip it over to Samui for an island tour. Phangan was def the best part of the holiday for us :) let me know if you need any more advice :)
Thanks for all the info and help guys, really appreciated

Can't wait, less than 6 weeks now :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.