Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
fpa,

LGW-PVK-LGW (TOM4770/1) are operated by a Boeing 757-200 (winglets).

Darren
Hi Dazbo,

Many thanks for your prompt reply last week.

Marie
The current delays on longhaul were five hours yesterday and longer today. Trans Atlantic flights are routing far more Northerly than usual. These are making flight times longer and can only add to the delays in the coming days.

Reading the posts about the ash cloud http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=144279&start=620 and how it may get worse later on in the week, it occured to me that if the accrued dalays got to such an extent that they were almost upto 24 hours, would TOM take the view that it would be more efficient for the system as a whole to lose a full days schedule. ie cancel all Sunday flights to be back to normal for Monday?

I only used Sunday as an example (nothing to do with the fact I'm due to fly to Jamaica this Sunday of course :duh ).

I realise that some time could be saved with a slightly quicker turnaround, though I'd guess the savings wouldn't be as much as the scheduled airlines could make up. Added to that, are they having a closer look at the engines after ash traces were found in Ryanair engines?

I also realise that it may not be possible to answer any of the above, but any info I can give my other half is better than the speculation she is readling elsewhere.

TIA
baz657,

I should imagine a decision will be taken as and when situation dictates as the ash situation is pretty dynamic. Due to the nature of charters, they simply can't cancel a full day's schedule without having to make alternative arrangements like the schedule airlines can. Since charter carriers operate on a return ticket basis, it's not a simple as saying we'll cancel today's and start again tomorrow since that will impact reciprocal flights in 7 or 14 days time. I know that effects scheduled travel as well, but many are on one way or flexible tickets. The operations departments will do what they can to get passengers away / home with minimal disruption but if airspace is closed, there's little they can do about it. If other parts of the country are open and aircraft can be used / positioned to those airports, it's possible to operate from alternatives but until things happen, it's difficult to plan for. If an aircraft is in the Caribbean for example and UK airspace closes, the aircraft and crews can't bring it back so flights have to be delayed or even cancelled if UK aircpace is closed for some time.

Darren
Cheers Darren.

It's pretty much the answer I expected. At least we'll have the hotel room till midday if there is any delay. I don't envy anyone working in ops :que
Subject: THOMSON AIRWAYS ... Q&As

patch64 wrote:
I think it may be too early to tell but does anyone know if the Manchester-Punta Cana flights are Ex-FC or TOM aircraft or could it be either depending on the day of the week? Not travelling until October 9th 2010.

Thanks is advance.

Just bumping this post again as was too early to tell when originally posted. Flight Numbers are TOM126/127 October 9th & 23rd 2010.

Thanks
patch64,

Looks like ex-TOM at the moment

Gower
Subject: THOMSON AIRWAYS ... Q&As

GowerL7 wrote:
patch64,

Looks like ex-TOM at the moment

Gower

Thank you.
tom670 from birmingham to punta cana tuesday 11th may. supposed to leave at 1020a.m. have just noticed the departures board at birmingham airport showing flight not leaving until 1550 pm. does anyone have any info on this. should we go to airport as normal. have not been advised of any changes thanks everyone
gingerdennis,

You need to go to the airport and check-in at the time specified, regardless of the time showing on the departures board unless otherwise told by the airline. It's due to the incoming aircraft being delayed for several hours.

Darren
hiya everyone
coming back from cancun to newcastle tomorrow (ash permitting) TOM349 but wanted to know where this plane is coming from so I can keep an eye on it tomorrow since the birmingham flight last night was 10+ hr delayed.
deana,

The aircraft will be coming out from Newcastle to Cancun on the TOM348. The aircraft normally positions up from Gatwick after operating the TOM076/7 to/from Mombassa. It's pretty much ontime at the moment (expected 27 minutes late) but there's plenty of down time in between. Expect G-OOBM. Hope you've had a great holiday :cheers :sun2

Darren
thanks darren - I've had the best time, I knew I could count on you to help out.
oh well it looks like I'm coming home after all, no harm in wishing eh :(
Hi Darren - in a previous post you suggested I ask in May which plane will be used for the following flight: First Choice to Holguin Cuba on 19th July flight number TOM094.

Was a little surprised when I tried to book first two seats that first two rows are blocked out for the 3rd pilot - I know they usually take one but is this usual?
Tricksykent1,

TOM094/5 are currently operated by a former First Choice Boeing 767-300/ER. It's common for flight crew to have reserved seats in the premium cabin as the aircraft don't have crew rest areas like other operators / aircraft types have.

Darren
We have just booked our seat numbers this afternoon for our flights to Aruba in July. Flying Oremium and wanted to book seat number 1C,D and E, but were also told that one of these seats would be resevered for the pilot. Have therefore opted for 9C, D and E instead.

Pat
Hi all,

Flying NCL to Las Palmas 9th Aug on TOM1142 anyone know if it's still going to be a 738 as I want to select my seats shortly
:tup
Many thanks
AQ
AirQuake,

NCL-LPA-NCL (TOM1142/3) is scheduled to be operated by a Boeing 757-200 (winglets).

Darren
Thanks for the quick reply Darren

I'm glad I checked as when I booked it was down to be a 738 - would've looked a right one if I chose the 'wrong' seats.
:que
Just love the 757 anyway!

Cheers
AQ
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.