Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi Darren I hope you're well?

Any idea which flight precedes the TOM 092 from LGW - CUN departing tomorrow morning?

I have a nasty feeling you're going to say it's coming in from Montego Bay?

Thanks
Steve
Flipside300,

The aircraft operating TOM092/3 normally comes in from Cancun (TOM048/9). Be advised there are delays in the fleet at the moment although the aircraft on your rotation seems to be operating outbound to schedule (within 30 mins anyway). Things could change as aircraft are swapped to cover though.

Darren
Hi, Just had text from Thomson that Tom 092 Gat To Cancun has been delayed until 1610 0n the 10th

Regards

Peter
Darren / Peter,

Thanks for the replies both.

I thought it was delayed as their website is showing a departure of 16:40 as opposed to 09:30. Even with a phone call they were unable to confirm.

I guess it's a wait and see.

Steve
Flipside300,

If the departures board is showing a revised (later) time, it looks like there's a delay on that flight now as well. Unless you are contacted or are told otherwise by Thomson Airways, you'll still need to check-in at the normal time.

Darren
Darren,

I thought that would indeed be the case. I am yet to hear from Thomson and have a hotel booked at the airport anyway, so I will be travelling tonight regardless.

Looks like a nice lengthy delay at the airport tomorrow then.

Thanks for the info, a help as always
Hi Flipside and Darren, My text told me to check in 3 hours before new flight time, please find out for yourself though!

Peter
Hi Peter,

I've just spoken to Thomson and they're telling me 16:40. The reason being that planes are out of sync due to previous delays on other routes.

Claim for my pre booked hotel is coming on now I feel!

All the best
Steve
Dazbo

I don't think it's the fact that things go wrong that causes the issues, if you ask most people it's the diatribe that follows which causes the upset and general ill feeling.

I disagree that there is little can be done. Lot's can be done but it takes time and effort and sometimes money and in my experience those three things have never really played a part at the same time to resolve the issue.

For instance telling me to go home in a taxi at my own cost and return in a taxi at my own cost and then claim of my insurance? Those things happen but is that a response that would calm a situation or cause upset?

I will come clean and say I have a small axe to grind with Thomson as again I have seating issues at present with them and their reply was "you can always cancel your premium seats...but you will not be refunded"

I take issue with the phrase on my tickets "your seats in premium are reserved" It gave us a false sense of security and that has left us seated apart on the plane. The response offerred, in my opinion, is contemptuous at best.

Why do I bother going with Thomson you ask...because when they get it right, and they do, it's very good. It's when problems arise when you get in your tobaggon and go down hill rather fast.

As qatarman said it's hard earned money. Thomson clearly do not want these problems but I am not sure it can always with surety be put down to "these things" as "some things" could and should not happen.

I actually shook the captains hand on the 2 day delay escapade, the reason was simple he appraoched us in the correct and honest manner and I can honestly state that out of all the dealings I had with people to do with Thomson he was the only one that treated any of us like people we were, paying cutomers. i thanked him as he went that extra mile.

Thomson gave us about £40 in vouchers.

Another corker from staff was to a family of five as they had only booked a weeks holiday to Goa. They after 1 1/2 day's delay asked for their money back and the reply was if you leave now you will lose everything as we have not cancelled the flight. I think this shows a lot. but I am sure that this is not just thomsons reasoning it's just that I have only had issues with Thomson.
Sleeper,

When it comes to travel, one thing everyone needs to accept is delays happen and things sometime go wrong with aircraft. While it's not an ideal situation for anyone, it happens. My car (new) has been in the garage today to have 4 seperate manufacturer recalls sorted and to have a leak fixed. The leek has yet to be identified so is booked in for the entire week next week. They are machines, they go wrong whether old or new. Aircraft are infinately more complex than cars and therefore have a lot more to go wrong and with greater consequences when you're at 37,000ft. They are hightly maintained but as has been seen this week, problems do arise that result in delays and knock-on effects within a schedule. ALL airlines experience this from time to time, Thomson is not exclusive. You are right, they should not happen, but no machine is perfect and faults occur from time to time. Just ask Boeing at the moment! From a passengers perspective, there is nothing you can do other than put your faith in the airline to get you away or home with as minimum a delay as possible and crucially, safely. When an aircraft is stranded in the middle of Russia, it's no mean feat to dispatch a rescue team, replacement aircraft and possibly a replacement engine at short notice while dealing with 300 stranded passengers. Couple that with another aircraft that had a technical problem in the middle of the Indian Ocean, you get the picture. A rescue aircraft was sent out to Russia, but with having another aircraft delayed as well, things soon mount up giving the ineviatable problems that are being experiened. Thomas Cook have been chartered to cover some flights at the moment while things get back on track. While I agree customer service can often be better, quite often the people on the ground don't have the information to give you. I've known more about a delay, as a passenger, than ground staff before now! Despatch rates of the aircraft and punctualitiy has been reasonable up until this. Delays like these aren't common and while it's not ideal, can't be avoided as aircraft go wrong from time to time, no matter how old or well maintained they are. The main thing is the problems are resolved as quickly as possible for passengers. The other things you mention are customer service related issues rather than airline and it's difficult to comment without knowing all the details. I agree customer service can and should be better at times.

Darren
Well said Darren, and i must say this is very unusual for TOM.
It seems we are at crossed purposes. I accept things go wrong with nobody to blame.

As I stated and after this I shall say no more.

After having technical issues on several levels which like you say can happen. Then after overcoming those the plane arrives damaged...no fault again fair play. Annoying but what can you do. Then being told that plane will be fixed overnight and will be sat waiting at our gate at 08:00. Thomson took us from a hotel at 04:00 having dropped us off the night previously at 23:00 to the airport knowing that plane was not there as promised. Yes it was a repair that had been fixed but they sent it somewhere else.

Now I realise if this has never occured to you (and I mean you in general) then it seems no big deal but when you have had 2 nights in hotels living out of a suitcase with little sleep and having to take medication and deal with children. When you are involved in something like this I promise you, you will not feel like saying these things happen and it's all a technical fault out of "x" control. sometimes it is not but sadly nobody wants to accept responsibilty.

Things can only improve when accountability replaces impunity.

Sorry often seems the hardest word.
Have to agree 100% with sleeper - yes,these things happen -breakdowns etc BUT the Customer Services Directors of Thomson Airways/Thomson Holidays (do they have such a beast??) should really look at how their staff respond to these situations as a matter of urgency -as I said in a previous post its amazing how fast these Customer facing staff vanish at the first whiff of a problem -when we were returned to Gatwick a few years ago after a fault occurred on takeoff the ONLY person in Arrivals to deal with 280+ passengers was a ground staff agent who hardly spoke any English and had a limited supply of badly photocopied letters for insurance purposes.Some of the passengers who were late leaving baggage reclaim never even got a letter!!
Its a good job that the hotel we were bussed to, had a better idea of Customer service or there would have been a riot!!!
Sleeper,

I have been mixed up in these things a couple of times and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, with considerable longer delays than here, so I speak from experience. But having been on the receiving end as well as passenger, I can see if from both sides and it's more complex than many appreciate. Customer services can always be better, I agree with you but the situations are often fluid and that's were confusions and lack of information often comes in to the situation. There's no point giving out information until it's confirmed as things often change. You're never going to please everyone. I fly in March with Thomson, if something like this happens it's not great, but hat else can you do?

Darren
Hi Darren, we are staying on Isla Mujeres just off Cancun, our flight is supposed To take 10.5 hours thus making it pretty tight to get through the airport, taxi and catch the last ferry at 11.30pm to the island, do these delayed flights make time up in the air where possible, and have you please got a new eta for TOM092.

Thanks Peter
Very little chance of time being made made up en route. Flight time to Cancun is anything from 10 hours to 11 hours 15 minutes depending on the upper winds. Ten hours to 10 hours 30 minutes is a fair average for this trip.
Ok, thank you Darren, any idea what aircraft it will be ?
Travelling from Cardiff to Enfidha, TOM 864 and TOM 865,
Travelled on a 738 last time I went to Tunisia so most probably
Will still be a 738 ?

Meyrick
brewerdave wrote:
Have to agree 100% with sleeper - yes,these things happen -breakdowns etc BUT the Customer Services Directors of Thomson Airways/Thomson Holidays (do they have such a beast??) should really look at how their staff respond to these situations as a matter of urgency -as I said in a previous post its amazing how fast these Customer facing staff vanish at the first whiff of a problem -when we were returned to Gatwick a few years ago after a fault occurred on takeoff the ONLY person in Arrivals to deal with 280+ passengers was a ground staff agent who hardly spoke any English and had a limited supply of badly photocopied letters for insurance purposes.Some of the passengers who were late leaving baggage reclaim never even got a letter!!
Its a good job that the hotel we were bussed to, had a better idea of Customer service or there would have been a riot!!!

Brewer

The bit about the badly photocoped letter made me laugh as it made several of us at the time exclaim "what is that"?
meyrick,

As Busdriver mentions, it depends on the weather onroute but it'll only be a smal amount of time, if anything that can be made up onroute. TOM864/5 are Boeing 737-800.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.