Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
The original FCA had a technical issue. In fairness to Thompson, the replacement was already waiting at the gate and we were informed of the substitution at check-in.

The exTOM are not as bad as some make out. Although "only 31" og pitch, this is the same as most longhaul scheduled carriers (TOM also have the slimline seats so it seems slightly greater). There was just enough room for me at 6'3" although the 2-4-2 seating is quite narrow and the window seats are further imposed by the curve of the bulkhead. Don't get me wrong, the FCA aircraft is a much nicer experience but the TOM are quite adequate for the flights when they get substituted.
All the Thomson 767's are in 291 configuration (even g-obyh) which is as z.j.c. Describes, only the back cabin is in economy configuration. That will change in a few weeks ready for the summer programme and there will be some all economy 328 aircraft, but not yet.
Even though the standby aircraft is being used more frequently doesn't mean that is not a standby aircraft(if you use the AA with your car more frequently doesn't change their intended role!) it is a testament to the company that they have a standby aircraft rather than delay/cancel or sub out flights because of technical reasons. The frequent technical problems are also not completely down to Thomson, they knew the 767's were comming to the end of their scheduled life and did their part in ordering the 787's. the company are managing a bad situation as best they can. Many airlines have just cancelled flights that were due to be operated by the 787, Thomson have not.
Chappers, the issue isn't really about last minute subs. for genuine tech. issues ;)
It's about Thomson's medium term plan to replace the departed G-OOAN and the late arriving 787 Dreamliners.
The question I haven't really had answered yet,is are people being told in advance of the use of G-OBYG and has it been converted to full long haul configuration (or some strange middle ground as described by z.j.c)
I have a vested interest cos I'm flying in 4 weeks to Dom. Rep!

EDIT -Sorry posted same time as previous post which answers the query partially.
BY-TOM-AMM-FCA wrote:
All the Thomson 767's are in 291 configuration (even g-obyh) which is as z.j.c. Describes, only the back cabin is in economy configuration. That will change in a few weeks ready for the summer programme and there will be some all economy 328 aircraft, but not yet.
Even though the standby aircraft is being used more frequently doesn't mean that is not a standby aircraft(if you use the AA with your car more frequently doesn't change their intended role!) it is a testament to the company that they have a standby aircraft rather than delay/cancel or sub out flights because of technical reasons. The frequent technical problems are also not completely down to Thomson, they knew the 767's were comming to the end of their scheduled life and did their part in ordering the 787's. the company are managing a bad situation as best they can. Many airlines have just cancelled flights that were due to be operated by the 787, Thomson have not.

BY-TOM-AMM-FCA;

Do you know how many of the exTOM 767's will be config to cover for 787 flights? Will they retain the 291 config or be changed?
I know on the Thomson blog they are still promising 33" in Economy. Also heard something about changing the FCA Config to 2-4-2 is this correct?

Thanks

Z.J.C
Worth remembering that to change the configuration of an aircraft is not as straightforward as it might appear. Some seats will be removed, the remainder repositioned and then the fun and games start with the overhead panels, with the oxygen masks and lighting, have to be repositioned. When this is sorted the seat back in flight entertainment has to be reconfigured. This is not a quick process and is usually factored in to a scheduled maintenance slot.

As an aside don't expect to see the Dreamliner anytime soon.
Yes they will be reconfigured, Thomson do not plan any customer to travel in a short haul seat pitch- it's false advertising. Any flight operated by either a Nordic or short haul configured will because of last minute problems.
The ex-FCA can't hold many more seats so they will not be changed 2-4-2 Dazbo has explained this quite a few times. g-ooan was always leaving and the 787s would not have been operating long haul at the moment so AN leaving has nothing to do with any substitutions over the last few weeks.
BY-TOM-AMM-FCA wrote:
Yes they will be reconfigured, Thomson do not plan any customer to travel in a short haul seat pitch- it's false advertising. Any flight operated by either a Nordic or short haul configured will because of last minute problems.
The ex-FCA can't hold many more seats so they will not be changed 2-4-2 Dazbo has explained this quite a few times. g-ooan was always leaving and the 787s would not have been operating long haul at the moment so AN leaving has nothing to do with any substitutions over the last few weeks.

Thanks for confirming in regards to the FCA I had read it earlier on on Thomson's blog that's why I asked the question.

Thanks

Z.J.C
First time long haul. How do you get movies and stuff on a flight to Mexico in May ?. Do you contact Thompson,or order them on the aircraft itself ? Do young kids have a choice of film to watch ?
Whomenever, you get a choice of quite a few films/TV programmes/games free throughout the aircraft with the option of upgrading when actually on the aircraft to give you some premium films and games PLUS the upgrade allows you to pause/rewind etc -think the upgrade is £5 per person.If you are in Premium you get the upgrade included.
The actual films being shown in May will be known late in April and can be found through this thread by looking at the info posted by Dazbo.
When they launch the new longhaul service in may you no longer have to pay to upgrade to AVOD it should be the same throughout
brewerdave wrote:
Whomenever, you get a choice of quite a few films/TV programmes/games free throughout the aircraft with the option of upgrading when actually on the aircraft to give you some premium films and games PLUS the upgrade allows you to pause/rewind etc -think the upgrade is £5 per person.If you are in Premium you get the upgrade included.
The actual films being shown in May will be known late in April and can be found through this thread by looking at the info posted by Dazbo.

Cheers mate.
Hi

We are flying to Izmir from Birmingham in August flight no TOM516.

We are flying with 4 children so wondered what the plane/seat config will be.

Thanks

Louise
Hi guys I posted before but didnt give you the relevant info.

I wonder what type of plane I will be flying on so I can check the seating plan.

Flight number is TOM4486

Flying to Ibiza on the 20th of June at 0550.

Cheers

Jon
My wife and i have just traveled from Doncaster to Sharm return on the 737-800 both of which were nearly new very good flights top class cabin crew both ways,our only complaint was the chips were like paper.
Hi we're travelling from manchester-sharm el sheik on the 2nd may with 2 adults and 2 kids both 8 years old, what type of plane are we on and is it worth pre booking our seats or will the airline keep us together anyway due to us having kids

Many thanks
Can anyone please tell me how i find a flight number from 2009, I was supposed to be going to Mexico From Manchester 30/5/09 but they cancelled the flight and moved it 24hrs I need the flight details CAN ANYONE HELP p l e a s e
I'm due to fly out to PMI on April 16th on the TOM7226.

According to the internet (skyscanner/ThomsonAirways) the flight doesn't seem to exist.

Can someone confirm if this a repositioning flight?

Cheers
BHX-PMI? It's bookable on Thomsons website, and via the direct flights link on skyscanner.
AlastairTUIHA wrote:
I'm due to fly out to PMI on April 16th on the TOM7226.

According to the internet (skyscanner/ThomsonAirways) the flight doesn't seem to exist.

Can someone confirm if this a repositioning flight?

Cheers

It's scheduled from Birmingham on the 16th, 6.00am departure according to Birmingham airport's website.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.