Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
As you will see, we do not allow that company to be mentioned due to the discount codes being misused.

luci :wave
We are going on the Thomson 'Colourful Coasts' cruise in April. Cany anyone advise me which trips to do and which to avoid? Also where to go if we get off the ship to wander around independantly.
Thanks
Hi salsababe

I have merged your post with an existing topic which may have some information.

Can anyone tell me what the weather is likely to be onboard the celebration at the end of December please? Or where is the best place to look?
I take it you will be cruising the Canaries?

We have done that cruise 3 times and found the weather to be sunny and in the low 20's. You can check the weather sticky topics at the top of any of the Canaries forums. There should be a link on Page 1 of the topics.

Yes Luci we will be cruising there for over Christmas :cheers

Will keep an eye on the weather, hope it will give some sunshine after the dreadful summer we have had here :que
Hi, any one going on the celebration on the 22nd nov, We booked to go after been on the med cruise in may, which i loved. Was really looking forward to going to morrocco as never been but reading some posts it,s not such a good trip. Is it not worth getting off ship for? Really looking forward to it any way not long now.
I'm getting onboard the day before you on the 21st.

We went to Agadir on this itinery on the Destiny a few years ago and Agadir is always a much-discussed topic on board!

Generally people recommend not getting off for a walk about - its a very industrial port and there doesn't look like there'd be much to see - there are lots of taxis waiting on the quayside to take you where you want to go but the general advice is that they promise to take you to the market and then take you off to their cousin's carpet shop first and hassle you into buying something before they'll take you to the market. So its hit and miss - you either get a reliable taxi driver or you get a dodgy one - not dodgy enough that they'll kidnap you but they may not take you straight to your destination in the quickest possible time! We stood on the top deck watching the taxi's arrive back for about an hour, with people coming back from the market, and i think we saw one carrier bag - so all that effort and it doesn't appear that there was much to buy anyway...

A lot of people opt to do the organised tour to the local souk - if you like this kind of experience then this is probably a good idea, a few people we spoke to had found it quite disturbing and had spent 5 minutes in the souk before heading back to sit on the coach - it depends what type of person you are, I don't mind it really and would happily go to the souk for the experience but my hubby really hates it and therefore we wouldn't consider doing this trip.

When we went, we did the horse and carriage trip - you go in convoy on little carts around the back streets of a little village (you have a tour rep with you and its quite safe) and out to see the flamingoes on the marshes (don't know why) then stop off at Coco's Medina on the way back for shopping - this is the 'manmade' Moroccan market where everything is priced and quite civilised. Would quite happily do this trip again (hubby says no, horse and carriage would be boring second time around as its quite a long trip, but we'll see!).

This year I'm thinking of either the camel trekking, the horse and carriage again or staying on the ship - will see how we feel onboard. Either way, if we do get off the ship, it will DEFINITELY be on a Thomson's trip, I wouldn't consider doing DIY in Agadir but there may be people braver than me who have done so and can advise you!

Hope that helps, I don't think you should stay onboard if you are keen to see Morocco but maybe pick your excursion wisely and just be prepared.

Was it the Celebration you were on in May? This will be our first time onboard so would like to know your views!
Thanks for your reply Jessthepest, Still not sure about morrocco decide on board, looking at the dates we to go on the 21st. We was on the spirit in may, loved the ship so hopeing we enjoy this one as much.
We actually remained onboard the ship when we did this cruise before and enjoyed the sun up on the deck.
It does not look very exciting at all at this port, and as you say Jess, many remained onboard.
Jess, this will be my second time on Celebration :cheers
If you put Agadir into the Search facility and choose the Cruises forum you will find all previous mention of it on here.

Personally I wouldn't get off at Morocco or Tunisia again as it's just not worth the hassle without an organised tour. People think they sound exotic, but the reality is rather different.

We are very well travelled, but still got caught out. We negotiated a price with a taxi driver at the port in Agadir. However he dropped us miles from the bazaar/souk and when it came to paying him he said the price he had agreed was per person which it certainly wasn't. Just not worth the hassle.

luci HT Mod wrote:
If you put Agadir into the Search facility and choose the Cruises forum you will find all previous mention of it on here.

Personally I wouldn't get off at Morocco or Tunisia again as it's just not worth the hassle without an organised tour. People think they sound exotic, but the reality is rather different.

We are very well travelled, but still got caught out. We negotiated a price with a taxi driver at the port in Agadir. However he dropped us miles from the bazaar/souk and when it came to paying him he said the price he had agrees was per person which it certainly wasn't. Just not worth the hassle.

Absolutely agree, we had a similar experience in Casablanca, although we aborted the trip when it became clear that the taxi driver was doing anyway what we had told him explicitly we did not want to do. I ordered him to stop at the Mosque and, after my wife and daughter got out the car, told him the trip was finished...he was gobsmacked and threatened me verbally. I handed him a £10 note, and boldly told him he had better clear off and behave himself and walked off. My two ladies felt quite intimidated for the rest of the time we were there, and we walked from the Mosque through the poorest part of town evntually reaching the centre. We spent about an hour there and realised we were very close to the port gates and walked to the ship. Unbelievably the same guy drove up alongside waving the £10, which had a corner torn a little but the number on the note was clearly visible. Simply swapped it for another, and he begged us into the taxi for a free ride to the ship....needless to say we declined. At least another half dozen taxis tried to get us into their vehicle during that walk to the ship.

Because of that experience we stayed aboard at Agadir, and enjoyed what is one of the "best kept secrets" of cruising....on a port day you have the ship, and all facilities virtually to yourself with a very few others!

Like Luci, we are well travelled and also like her would not get off a ship in Morocco ever again, and what she has said about Tunisia ties in with everything we have heard from many who have been there.
Yes can't wait now really looking forward to getting away. flying out also from manchester on the same cruise, hope we get some of this :sun2
quick tip carol watch out for jess she usually lurks about the lifts :rofl

:offtop
how did everyone find their colourful coasts cruise? we've booked to go this year.
Hi Suzanne,
Same here, just booked today to do the "colourful coast" cruise in March. Been on a few thoomson cruises but never this one. It looks great, but I would love to hear from anyone who has any advice or tips for excursions, places to go or avoid etc
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.