Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Thomson Spirit
198 Posts
Welcome home Shirl. Will speak to you before we go. Just packing and weighed the cases :oops: Now we are offloading stuff!
Can anyone tell me if there are hairdryers on the Spirit and are they any good? The ones on the Destiny were awful.
Yes, there is an ok hair dryer in the drawer in next to the dressing table (in the standard cabins that is) I took my own but didn't bother using it as the one supplied was fine.

Gill
Thanks Gill. Your reply was just in the nick of time. That will save a kg in the case. :lol:
Hi
Going on Thoson Spirit on 6th October,i have booked Renewal of Vows package.
Can anyone tell me if you get a choice of days to do the dirty deed or does the Captain choose.
I was on the Destiny in May + some people did RoVs + it was on day we docked in Rome.
There are 10 of us going + although this is my 11th Thomson cruise + have been there got the t shirt, it is their first cruise,i wouldn't like them to miss out on Florence or Rome as RoVs seem to be at 16:00hrs ish.
It would make more sense to be in Villefrance/Propiano/Mahon.
Rang Thomsons,they don't seem to know. :cry:
Thanks
Back from our cruise brown as a berry and 3lbs heavier ! I think that the food was better than the Destiny last year and of course the cabins are enormous in comparison. We had lovely waiters Mars and Owen in the Compass Rose and Angel sends his regards to one and all. He thinks he will be back on the Destiny next year. Elvis Parsley was a hoot and Stu Francis the comedian was hilarious.
As usual Alice, Gareth, Mick and Sian were in good form and the showteam fab.
Unfortunately our holiday was marred by the bad behaviour of a few unruly teenagers and Thomson/ Portland need to get to grips with some serious security issues here.
We have just booked the Celebration for next year...can't wait!
I realise this may not be the best way of going about doing this but I'd appriciate any help.

Whilst on my cruise on the Thomson Spirit last month I started talking to a waiter, Roy. He said he'd like to keep in touch with me and I gave him my email but, stupidly, I didn't ask for his... It has been a few weeks and no contact so I was wondering if anyone knew him or his email or had any ideas of how to get it? This way I could contact him in case he lost my email or something.
Only 3lbs - you lucky thing!!! 7 lbs for me and 12 for my hubby.

It was worth it though.

Gill
hbrac, glad you enjoyed it , but i just knew you would. cant believe you have already booked celebration next year (well i can actually, you have to try them all dont you), only 10 more sleeps then were back on the emerald.so just celebration left now
Delivered your package to Alice....she says thanks a million. Paul Thornhill's hair is a sort of auburn at the moment. I told him I preferred the blonde hilights :lol: . We missed seeing Lou but who knows...maybe next year. I understand that you have already seen most of our photos. We took loads!
Welcome home Hil
which ship did you prefer then, Destiny or Spirit? I suppose since you've booked the Celebration for next year, her sister ship wins by a short head. You'l love it next year - the Celebration show team were fantastic but then all the Thompsons ships entetainment teams are wonderful. By the way just got to say a hello to Borababe and her family who we met on our cruise. :wave Its so lovely to meet people from here in real life :D
Shirley
Hi Shirl
At first I didn't like the Spirit. I think it was to do with the available deck space for sunbathing which as you know is very important ! :lol: So the Destiny wins for sunbathing but the Spirit wins for food and cabin size. Yep we have already booked the Celebration for next year. Hoping for a lottery win so we can upgrade :lol:
I am on the Spirit in 4 weeks can anybody tell me if there is a combined excursion Florence AND Pisa from Livorno.
Last 2 cruises i docked in La Spezia which did seperate trips, probably because of distance.
Looked at train times from Livorno + its pushing it to do both places in one day DIY.
Johnny C
If I remember correctly then there is a combined tour which does both. There was on the Island Star which we've just returned from and the ships mainly offer the same tours. I would certainly recommend this because as you say, it's not really possible to do both on the same day DIY.

I have merged your post with a similar one on the Thomson Spirit.

luci :wave
Just had an acknowledment from Portland saying they are looking into my complaint regarding security and bad behaviour on the cruise. Will keep you posted .
Hi All, and esp. Johnny C!

Just back from a 2 week cruise on the Spirit (have just added my review if anyone's interested)

Johnny, you asked if there were any trips that combined Florence and Pisa from Liverno? Yes! It's a full day trip of approx 10 1/2 hours duration costing £49 for adults and £24.50 for children.

Dont forget that in Italy if you're visiting any churches ladies will have to have their shoulders and knees covered and I think men have to have their knees covered too.

Some things I forgot to mention in my review:

Pickpockets - rife in many places. Be especially aware in Pompeii, Rome and Pisa.

Helicoptor ride - well worth doing but subject to at least 4 passengers (or multiples of 4) booking it so dont be dissapointed if it doesnt go ahead.

Photo Gallery - look out for buy 2 get 3rd free offers on photo's

Funniest moment - there was a bit of a problem with the gangway at Propriano and at one point I'm told it actually fell into the water Thankfully nobody was hurt and no harm was done (could have been a tragedy though!) David Lawson came over the ships tanoy and said it had been decided that we'd go to anchor and a tender service would be arranged for the rest of our day. Bear in mind that most passengers were still onshore and had no idea what was going on. As the ship started to push away from the dock the Master gave a good old blast on the horn. :twisted: Maybe I have a sick sense of humour but it was very funny watching peoples reactions as they saw the ship starting to move away....

Netty
Hi all,

Just returned from the Spirit, our 10th time now, and it was if anything better than usual. The food and the atmosphere seemed better and more fun.

The new hygene dispensers were well used, it is a sort of alcoholic antiseptic gel to stop bug transfer, it only took seconds to apply and wasn't sticky afterwards.

There were about 200 Russian passengers on this cruise, but they soon got the hang of the hygene with demo's from crew and Brit passengers.

The only thing with the Russian lot, they love to dance, and in the High Spirits disco they were not so keen on the Brit music. But true to form the entertainment team came up trumps. DJ Freddy must have got some of the latest Russian pop music from somewhere, which was in fact very good and made a pleasant change.

Laine and hbrac, Alice and all the team send their regards, and thanks again for the Goody Bag.

Enchantica-- Re your funny story--- The same thing happened on this cruise, not the gang plank but a low tide warning. The tannoy went, to give us the news just as we were starting to move, there were loads of us who rushed to the stern and we were all waving like mad at those ashore, and all us wicked cruisers were chanting " Sailaway Party 2 "

But in all seriousness, it took nearly one and a half hours to get the tenders going and if I had just popped ashore for a quick stroll with no money, I don't think I would have been best pleased.

All in all an excellent cruise.

Cheers

Dave
Welcome back Dave ( and Enchantica). Glad you had a good time :lol:
Anyone know what some songs from the show 'Africa' were called?
Heres the full list, this was last year on destiny im sure it will be same if not just about.

N"Sikele africa
Circle of life
Africa, toto
Hakuna matata
Born free
African skies
Zambezi
Lion sleeps tonight
Baby elephant walk
Bridge over troubled waters
Bongo (no singing )
Give me hope joanna
H e lives in you
Coda.. circle of life

There bet you didnt expect that :wink: :omg
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.