Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Me and my wife are wanting to go on a cruise that takes in Naples because we want to see Pompeii. Anyway we've had a good look at the Jewels of the Mediterranean cruise and think this one might be the one for us. We've been to Palma a few times before and know that it's safe and would be a good place to start and end our cruise. The thing is that we don't know anything about the other ports of call. How safe are they. We've been to Tunisia once before (not to La Goulette though) and thought that it was good in places, but scary in the markets. The thing is that we don't know anything about the other ports. Which ports are better to take Thomson trips on and which are better to go out on our own ? Also i've looked at the Thomson website and the price of the cruise by booking online looks ok. Is it better to book online or go to our local Thomson travel agent ?
BTW this would be our first ever cruise and i'm sure i read somewhere saying that football shirts aren't aloud. I take it that taking my rugby league shirt wouldn't be a good idea ?
Hi 12 noon - can you list the ports as they vary from year to year. Also try the thread at the top of the forum re DIY med ports.

Gill
Hi 12 noon - can you list the ports as they vary from year to year. Also try the thread at the top of the forum re DIY med ports.

The Jewels of the Mediterranean 2007 starts in Palma (Majorca) and goes to La Goulette (Tunisia), Naples (Italy), Ajaccio (Corsica), Marseille (French Riviera), Barcelona (Spain) and back to Palma.
8)
I was just looking on Ebay to see if i could find any good books about the cruise and ports of call. Not much luck though.
Hi - Hope this helps.....

La Goulette - we took the shops trip to Carthage and Sidi Bou Sid and really loved both places - wouldnt' DIY it, personally speaking.

Naples - you've got sussed - we did ships half day trip.

Ajjacio - its a pretty port and there is a little tourist train which takes you round the town. There is a fab pedestrianised shopping street back from the port.

Marseille - can't comment

Barcelona - we took half day ship trip first time and then got dropped off at las Ramblas for our own time. However, since then have found it easy to DIY - either on the metro or the tourist open top buses.

Get back to me if you want any further info.

Gill
Anyone know what Thomson's are doing with Thomson Spirit and The Emerald next winter? Celebration is back in the Red Sea and Destiny is in the Canaries, but nothing listed yet for their other two ships. Spirit had a mini refurb not too long ago, so they must be planning something. Back to the Caribbean maybe?
12noon.
Avoid Naples for looking around.its full of con men trying to rip you off or mug you :evil: . Either go on an organised tour or for better value get the train to Pompei and Herculanium (? spelling). You can do both sights within 5mins walking distance from each station.and buy an addmision ticket to both sights from either of them. :wink:
Have a good trip
kavmick.
Hi
Hi all

Just joined the forum as I have just booked onto the Spirit for June 2008 (Bit of a wait :( )

Doing both itinaries Med Ren and Jewels of the Med. Have been to a few of the places before on other ships, but daughter going with us this time.

So looking forward to it. it's just a bit of a wait. Any way will keep a watch on to take in your comments and experiences from this year
On the verge of booking the Spirit for Aug 08 (we are on the Emerald again this year) Can anyone give me any advice/info on the Delux cabins on Deck 8 or 9 ? Am looking at these rather than deck 6 or 7 because of the lifeboats obstructing view etc.
Apologies if this has been covered previously, BUT I have today gone and booked a Thomson Spirit cruise online, departing on this Friday the 11th!!
Never been on a cruise before and we have booked inside cabins on Deck 3. Are these OK?
It is the Jewels of the Med cruise and the itinery is Palma, La Goulette, Naples, Ajaccio, Marseille, Barcelona then back to Palma. Could you please advise which trips are worth doing, are there any to miss and are there any thats best doing DIY?
Will it be cold on board the ship mid May?
Are shorts appropriate for most of the day trips in May? Would we need to take a jacket or something as well?
Would a dress/trousers and top be ok for evenings?
Is it informal dining or would hubby be best taking a suit?
Do we have to share same table at evening meals with same guests?
Is breakfast at any time and what time do you normally leave the ship on the day trips? Also is there access back on to the ship anytime?
Can we pack a couple of bottles of wine in our hold luggage?
Is bottled water supplied on board or do we have to buy all water that we need?
Didnt think the drinks package was worth taking out at £175 each. Husband is practically vegetarian, just likes fish and perhaps chicken so think it might be difficult buying food out on our day trips - could we take fruit and perhaps bread from breakfast?
I take it there will be plenty of choice for him on board, he loves salads and vegetables?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm a cruise virgin.
Naples well worth a trip to Pompeii or Sorento can be done under own steam but we prefered organised trip as the guides are a mine of information.

Ajaccio lovely town to explore, we again went for the organised trip. If your a Brandy drinker try the chesnut Brandy.

Barcelona well this was our favourite stop, The boat parks( :D ) nr La Rambles follow this to the centre of the city. We found it worth while studying a city map and planning our route around, but we still only managed to see a small area of the city, Can't wait for our next visit.

Maybe other people can help with the other ports.

They can be a bit iffy about taking your own bottles on board. When we where on the Emerald, anyone who bought any local drinks in bottles had to hand them in as they boarded then they were returned at the end of the cruise.

The weather should be hot, definately shorts weather.
Thanks for your reply, very helpful - would anyone else help with some of my other queries as well?
Vivien-Marie

Inside cabins deck 3 are absolutely fine, and roomy. We have been in one, and also cruised 6 times and always go for inside on basis that you can do 3 cruises inside for the price of 2 with a window!

Would advise to self explore, with exception of Naples as previous respondent. In Ajaccio there is a little tourist road train which is super if you like that kind of thing and the town is easy to walk. Marseille is not our favourite destination, but is worth visit for first time. To self explore take a shuttle bus, which should be provided by Thomson for a small cost, into the main marina area. You wouldn't spend a lot of time there but it is pleasant. If you like open-top bus tours there is a hop-on/off one available at the marina. Main attraction is the cathedral at top of hill. Agree with previous respondent regarding Barcelona, which is incredibly easy to do for a city. If you like the open top bus thing then again there is a hop-on/off service with 2 different routes (you can do both if time allows).

The secret of self exploration is to make sure you have a plan to be back on board an hour before official board time. This gives you a "disaster" recovery plan, but will normally ensure you are back before the trips, allowing you to have aquick snack before the queues form, and to get a good spot to relax on deck. You also are able yo do and see what you want, when you want and do not have to wait for unthoughtful latecomers on the official trips! Day trips normally leave at 8.00am or earlier. Access back to ship anytime, and you can go on/off as often as you wish in port.

Shorts are perfect, but weather not absolutely guaranteed for May would certainly have light jacket/brolly in case. Your evening dress suggestion is perfect, smart and casual is the theme. Travel light and leave hubby's suit at home.

It is informal dining, with different table occupants each night, based on who is in queue (normally short) when you get there.

Bottled water is available at a reasonable cost. Definitely do not take the drinks package, you would need to drink like the proverbial fish to make it cost effective. Drink prices for beers and spirits/cocktails etc. are around £2.50 - £3 and cans of soft drinks about half of that.

For a virgin cruiser Thomson offer an excellent product....enjoy and definitely self-explore (except Naples).
Forgot to say, brekkie is anytime and available till late morning, but food is available onboard 24/7 anyway. Regarding the suit for hubbie, by far most gents on this type of cruise do not bother, but probably about 10% do on the gala night. It is therefore a personal call, but a pain to pack for only one night when there are luggage weight restrictions.

Anything else, or clarification on anything I have said just ask!
Thanks again for very helpful reply - so plan I think then is to take organised trips to Tunisia and Naples then do our own thing in Marseille, Ajaccio and Barcelona? Sorted!!
Cannot speak for Tunisia, although have heard and read many people say they wished they had not even got off the ship there! This brings me to one of the best kept "secrets" of cruising...if you stay on board in port then you have all the ship facilities to yourself and a few others, might be something to consider unless you are really keen to do Tunisia.
We did La Goulette on either Thomson Spirit or Airtours Carousel. We did our own thing and wouldn't recommend it. We walked into the town (if you can call it a town) and we were hassled all the time by taxi drivers and I felt very intimidated. The bulk of them are all at the Port entrance, however when we walked away from the port on the quiet Streets, a car screeched to a halt, the driver ran round with a map in has hand. We though he was going to ask us for directions!! He then tried to get us into the car. The "town" itself, there is nothing there apart from some very very strange looking shops.
Are pool towels supplied please does any one know, also on the Jewels of the Med cruise what classes are on? would be interested in yoga/salsa classes. Also what time of day are the classes held?
Is the hairdressers expensive on the ship?
Has the ship had a refurb over the winter as last report seems to be in Oct 2006?
We are sailing at midnight tomorrow from Palma but our flight from Manchester doesnt land until mid evening, so I assume we will be eating when we arrive on board ship - is there a bit if a ceremony as the ship leaves Palma as I wouldnt want to miss it if there is?
We are on deck 3, inner cabin, is it convenient for most things from there or is everywhere a bit of a trek
Final question then, whereabouts on the boat is best place to stand on deck (and which deck level) for the best views?
Sorry if some of these questions sound a bit daft, its our first cruise and I am very excited, amazing what funny questions come into your mind!
Every day there is an events/timetable sheet delivered to your cabin, and on arrival the first one and other bits and pieces about various things will be in your cabin.

Pool towels are normally provided, if not just use the room ones.

There are usually yoga/fitness classes, details in daily newsheet. There is also a small gym.

You can eat as soon as you wish after boarding, and 24/7 thereafter.

There is normally a sailaway ceremony, but midnight at this time of year it will be indoors, if at all. First evening details will be in the events/timetable sheet. You will certainly want to get along to the nightly show, normally held twice each evening. The first one will give all the introductions etc, to the cruise director & entertainment team.

It is extremely easy to get to everywhere on ship from Deck 3, and there will be a deck plan included in the initial literature in cabin.

It will become obvious to you where to get the best view, but normally the deck immediately above the pool is the one.

Anything else just ask but remember the health warning....99% of first time cruisers become hooked for life!!
Excellent advice Hamrag, thanks very much for your help.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.