Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Re: Thomson
727 Posts
We always holiday with thomson and i can honestly say I've NEVER had a complaint about the inflight meal with thomsonfly. My youngest daughter never eats a great deal, which is my other daughter sees as a bonus as she gets two meals! (where she puts it i'll never know)!
We are always unfortunate enough to get meal time flights, therefore have to have inflight meals.
They do seem to put the meal price up by £2 every year, and i do think for what you get for your money it is alot to pay. You can buy a sandwich meal deal on most thomson flights, but even these are around £5/6.
I would'nt recommend waiting til you get on the plane to decide you're hungry just incase they havent got enough sandwich meals to go round, I'd always book my meal if travelling at meal times.

The meals with thomson are a lot better than any other airline i've travelled with!
Hi all
I have booked with thomson (always use them) for june 2008 to salou, I found it on the internet but because we have had our details stolen and credit card used we wont do that any more, Anyway i phoned thomson on 1st jan stating the cost on the internet and she gave me the same price but she told me that i would be getting confirmation from head office and themselves and the discount would not show on the head office one ( thats the only one i have recieved, nearly a £100 more)
I went into one of the shops but they told me as i didnt book with them and they dont have anything to do with phone bookings that they could not get my details on their computer. I was given a phone number that would cost me 10p a minute and was kept on hold for a hour (cost to me £6) I was fuming :rage , I phoned the normal number ( poor man got shouted at, it had nothing to do with him) he gave me a free number and i explained that i know it was not his fault and that i was sorry.
When i got through to the right person she assured me she would print all the details off and send it to me 1st class (that was on tuesday and still no signs)so i phoned again today(free number) and was on hold for 2 hours, i had to put it down in the end because if someone had of answered at this point i would have told them to shove it up there :swear
The piece of paper that i have does not say anything about the £300 that i have given for the deposit and i also have to pay £220 before the 12th feb and it says nothing about this either, now after all that ranting i feel like they are either doing this so i lose my deposit or i have to pay the full price ( not internet price that i was promised) What do you all think. I am sooooo angry.
Any advise would be great. ( sorry the post is so long)
Kerrie
Hi Alsababy :wave

How long is it since you made the telephone booking? I had a similar thing happen to me. Got a price off the internet with Airtours, but booked by phone as I had a 100 pound discount voucher.

I got a first invoice through from head office, not showing my discount, and then it was nearly three weeks after booking (i.e. 2 weeks from when I got the head office invoice). I was begining to panic when it arrived, but hadn't started phoning round yet.

Regarding the deposit you have paid, if you paid by either a debit card or credit card when you get your statement you have hard evidence that you have paid this.

Another thing Thomson (TUI) is merging with First Choice at present which is probably meaning paperwork being sent out even more slowly (you wouldn't think that was possible :banghead: )

I know this isnt advice as such, but thought it would help letting you know its happened to others.

Doe
Hiya Kerrie,

I work for First Choice but used to work for Thomson in a shop so hopefully will be able to help :)

Basically, the reason you have the deposit you've paid not showing on your invoice is because this is the tour operator invoice most likely. This shows the deposit they require from the agent which is always the full amount and it will always show the price the actual tour operator arm of Thomson charges with no discounts and no car hire etc(as these are booked seperately) Basically, the Thomson retail invoice you get will show all shop extras you've booked, discounts, low deposits and when the deposit is required by you. Tour operator will show the standard date the deposit needs to be in which is usually later because retail will need to collect the deposit from you then pay the tour op. The tour op invoice confirms the holiday that has been booked but the cost, deposit etc is only for retail as they pay that amount. Any discounts retail give is put on the other invoice you should get.

You will also have 2 ref one for the tour op and 1 for retail. So basically look at your tour op one make sure the names are correct, accomodation , destination , special requests etc. but the price and deposit will be on retail the other 1.
As for the store not picking it up. Since the main reservations call centre closed the calls are routed to random thomson shops, each shop has a number which appears on the invoice and shops can only pick their own code up. It is frustrating with being routed different numbers.

Sorry if this sounds confusin'!!! lol hope it helps but if you still have questions just ask!! :D
Hi Doe & smileonholiday
Thanks for the repies
I booked on the 1st jan and she said their own confirmation would get to me when the one from head office arrived, That was 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I phoned up again last tuesday and the lady on the phone said she would print all the details she had on screen ( deposit paid,discount from internet, ect) and post it out right away first class, That was nearly aweek ago so i can only assume she did not do it. When i phoned back yesterday ( sat) to ask were it was and what the hold up was,i was on hold for 2 hours and in the end had to put it down as i was really annoyed by this point. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow that i booked and the deposit of £300 came out the day after on the 2nd ( booked on the 1st) so they have had my deposit 3 weeks on tuesday.
Doe i am hoping that its the same for me and i have it by tomorrow. Starting to get really :swear off now

Smile I was alittle confused but i will read your reply again and sure i will get the jist of it.
Either way if its not here by tomorrow i will be back on the phone and staying on there until someone answers it and puts my mind at rest.
Thanks again
kerrie
Hiya!! Sorry for confusing you!! I rambled a bit on the post lol!!

Anyway, what it is like the girl at the centre said - you get 2 invoices head office from the tour operator Thomson and also 1 from the agent (in your case the call centre which is now done in some shops) The tour operator 1 confirms everything you've booked and the standard price of the holiday and the deposit that needs to be paid. However, the agent (call centre/shop) pays this for you so this is why the price you paid or discounts dont show up on the head office tour op 1. The other 1 you should get will show this as it is from retail who have given you the discount and you have paid the deposit to Thomson retail, not the tour op. So to sum up - 1 will not have a discount on or the correct deposit info, the other will (or should!) This is the 1 you are waiting for.

However, 3 weeks does seem a bit long for your invoice to arrive, sometimes things do take long but I understand you wanting the agent/call centre invoice ASAP to see the discount and how much outstanding etc!! When I book a holiday I'm always looking every day to see when it's come!! I would maybe ring again and explain you want the invoice which shows the discount, it can be frustrating being on hold all the time, hopefully it comes tomorrow but if not maybe give them a call... :tup

Again sorry if I've confused you!!!
hey guys, everyone on here seems to be looking for thomson discount codes.
I dont want to repeat what everyone is asking, but if there is ANYONE OUT THERE who might know any please tell us all.
xxxxxxxxxx
you could start by looking here

wizard
Thanks again smileonholiday,
Yes it is the one that has everthing on it that i am waiting for, Everytime i phone there is no one picking up and it gets REALLY annoying when i have them telling me " that all our agents are busy but your call is important to us" every two minutes,
Yeah right (two hours :yikes )
When i booked by phone 1st jan i was given a ref no and this is the same as the letter i got from head office.
Have to wait for the post tomorrow between 11 and 12 ( i will have my nose up to the letter box lol :-? ) If no joy i will be calling them again but to be honest there doesnt seem much point as i have been promised twice that it will be sent out that day 1st post both times ( I know royal mail can be slow but this is getting stupid now) The last time i booked over the phone i went with first choice( first time i never went with thomson) and i never had a problem. Anyone have a email address or head office number for thomson?
Thanks again for replying smile
Kerrie
Hi smile on holiday
I have just phoned the call centre again ( only kept me on hold for 1/2 an hour this time :rage ) Now i took your advise on board and i looked for the code for the shop it might have been pasted onto on the head office paperwork and found it. When i finally got someone to put their cup of tea and biscuits down long enough to answer the phone to me I was told that it has not gone to a shop the call centre at Swansea(spelling) had booked it and are still dealing with it. I expained as nice as i possibly could (while still fuming and gritting my teeth) that i have been promised this paperwork would be sent out 1st class straight away twice now, She has just told me she will send it out today so i get it tomorrow (cant remember if she said recorded delivery) but i do have to sign to get it. Do you think it will come with normal post as i dont want to miss it if i go the school to pick the kids up. My normal post comes between 11 and 12? Hopefully i will be back tomorrow to let you know that it has arrived and i will also be the happy bunny that i once was before booking this holiday :tup
Thanks
Kerrie
Hiya
Well......... the post man has just been and guess what I GOT IT :hyper I GOT IT :hyper WOOHOO!!!! now i am happy :tup Must admit though i have a horrible feeling about my tickets if they come from the same place. Now i have more questions, do i carry on paying over the phone :que or can i pay in a local store (mind you the local store said they didnt have my detail so i assume its over the phone again)
Cant wait for june :sun2
Kerrie
I can sympathise with you.

I think that as you booked over the phone, you will have to keep paying over the phone. I dont think records can be shared for data protection reasons. :think
If you can get a direct telephone number(they all have them) get one, then hopefully, you might get throught to the same department all the time?

A few years ago I booked a Thomson holiday via my local independant travel agent, (who has now been bought by another major tour operator). The travel agents in question were only too glad to take my money when booking my holiday, but when it came to them answering any questions they were always far too busy!
So I gave up trying with them and called Thomson themselves, only to find out that as I had booked through an agent they couldn't be of any assistance. :think
I'm not knocking Thomson as a company, as i wouldn't travel with ANY other tour operator. Just the service I recieved at the time, and this was not down to Thomson anyway. (I made sure i put a complaint in writing to the head office of the travel agency in question)!
I'm not a complainer, but I would reccomend a written complaint to anyone, even if it only gets you £10 of your next holiday, if you dont ask(moan), you dont get! :D
Just received an e`mail from Thomsons to say £150 off holdays, sale ending Monday etc etc. So though I`d check out a holiday I had looked at a few days ago (its only with Thomsons / Portland) would you believe its gone up £150 today that is on a one week holiday at Whit and £200 on the same hotel for 2 week holiday in the summer. Portland have also increased their prices the same amount, slightly cheaper than Thomsons.

Do you think this is just becuase they are pushing it this weekend, trying to get everyone to book as ``its the end of the sale on Monday`` so you think you are getting a bargain but in fact your are not... should I hang on and hope ( I feel reluctant to play this game with them )

The prices to begin with were more than we would usually pay for a week at Whit. Does anyone know of any agents who do really good deals on Thomsons holidays.

Thanks rant over.
It could be the number of bookings they are getting this month is pushing the price up. January is the month people start to look at holidays after xmas, and with all the low deposits around people not needing much money to make a booking. This year thomsons have not put out many discount vouchers on the web bookings which suggests to me the low deposit has tempted more people to book early. Its all supply and demand
Thanks, am going to hold my ground and not do anything for a few weeks. If we are meant to go then the holiday will still be available and maybe prices might go back down to what they were the other day.
The prices on the Thomson website change on an almost daily basis. You really need to pick a couple of options and then check the prices daily.
I booked a last minute cruise with Thomsons last Feb, I watched the prices from September to January, set my budget at £2000 for AI, 2 adults 2 kids. I got it, but it was only at that price for one weekend. By the Monday it had gone back up again.
The same thing happened again this year! But we were too indecisive and missed it. Its much harder to make yourself book when you know how much you could have got it for!
The prices do seem to go lower at the weekend, but if you really have got something in mind, peak holidays such as Whit, will sell out and you do run the risk of losing it.
HI, you are not kidding about prices changing daily ... last day of Thomsons so called sale today... and the price of the holiday has gone up again another £100 with both Thomsons and Portland, so thats £250 on a 1 week holiday since last Tuesday. I appreciate they have to make a bit of money off us.. but.. two price increases since last week is scary. Wonder what will happen this week when the `sale ends`?
Hi katiesmum :wave:

Up till about a week ago most prices on the Thomson/Portland sites had 100 pound per person discount on them. I was checking the same two hotels, one in Dahab and one in Sharm almost daily.

They started their sale and the prices rocketed by 400 pounds (4 of us) on virtually everything I was looking at.

Its for Easter, so I dont have as much time as you. Really want to go with TUI or similar, but am now having to look at Travel Republic. Dont know what to do.

Doe :que
Hi Doe,

Talk about `ripping us off`. We also want to go with them as unfortunately the hotel is only Thomson/Portland. I`m just hoping that in a few days the prices may even back out again, to what they were before the so called sale. Is a shame that some of the hotels in their brochures are `just for Thomsons`. Our local shop keeps bragging that they can do great deals so when we actually decide if its the one week at Whit or 2 in August I`ll get prices off them (some of our other local agents don`t seem to be able to discount Thomsons for some reason) whichever we decide on, I then have to start all over again to find another holiday.

Hope you manage to get something, Easter is so early this year. Have you got more than one choice of hotel?
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.