Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Re: Thomson / TUI
727 Posts
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can give me peace of mind before my flight with Thomson.

I booked a flight last minute over the phone because my booking over the internet did not work and their website took payment without making the actual booking! Luckily a sales advisor took care of it and made the booking over the phone.

However, because it is a phone booking, they cannot email me confirmation - it has to be sent by post. Now, if this confirmation does not come in time, I am left with only a booking reference number at the airport to prove I booked the flight. They told me it is a ticketless flight and I don't need to fill in any advance passenger info.

Has anyone else turned up with just a reference number before (and pasports obviously!)? Had any problems?

Getting a bit nervous now! I'd much rather a confirmation of some sort with the flight details on it!
Hi
Yes i have done this but not on a last min booking all was ok i was a bit worried but took along phone numbers etc just in case, however you still have to fill in a API but it can't be done online if its to close to your flight date check on the Thomson site under API.
Good luck
Roger
Thanks Roger. I decided to phone up a local branch and they confirmed that the reference number should be ok. And that the booking confirmation is posted 2nd class so hopefully should be with me by the weekend.
Fingers crossed! I'll need a holiday just to recover from the nerves of getting this one booked! :)
Hi summer

Your api, can also be done at the checkin desk, so if you dont have acess to the net, you just do it when you arrive, but allow plenty of time to check in

From Thomson api F&Q
Your data can be provided at check in, you may be required to undergo additional screening, please allow some extra time at the Airport.
Thank you joeseptuk!

I love this forum - everyone is so helpful! :D
It is looking like Thomson are pulling out of Malta for 2013.
I suspect Malta isn't the only country that Thomson are pulling out of. People just aren't taking as many package holidays nowadays - preferring to book flights, hotels, etc seperately
TUI has announced it will offer more holidays from South Yorkshire following news of an improved road link between Doncaster Sheffield Airport and the centre of Sheffield.

TUI brands Thomson and First Choice will initially offer an extra 14,000 holidays from the airport for summer 2013.

Airport director Steve Gill said: "We expected the new road to bring additional benefits to the South Yorkshire passenger and with over 150,000 Thomson and First Choice holidays on offer from Doncaster Sheffield Airport in summer 2013 we are pleased that we remain Yorkshire"s largest operation for the company."

TUI has two Thomson Airways 737-800s based at the airport. Extra capacity will be offered next summer on flights to Palma, Dalaman and Reus.

Paul Cooper, from Thomson and First Choice, said: "The news that the Finningley and Rossington Regeneration Route Scheme link road has taken a step forward is something we have been waiting to hear for DSA.

"We are confident that this new road will open up key markets in Sheffield for us and help to attract passengers from the city."

The scheme includes the opening of a new link road from Junction 3 of the M18 serving the south-east of Doncaster, improving access to the airport from Sheffield, Rotherham and further afield.

The new road is expected to reduce journey times for airport passengers and cargo operators from Sheffield by up to 20 minutes.

Construction of the road is expected to start later this year and be operational in early 2014.

With Permission from Travelmole
Has anyone had any problems with Thomson's wish list?

Over the last few weeks, my wish list has kept disappearing (which I cynically think is because prices have gone up and they don't want me to realise it)
now the list stays between visits, but for the last few times, comes up with an error message saying that due to a technical difficulty, they are unable to display prices or availability.

it is very annoying of them :(
I haven't booked with a TO for some time but decided to have a look at Thomsons for next May. The flight came up OK, after which they offered me the choice (?) of one hotel. I know that they only have a limited number of hotels in Tunisia, even Thomas Cook have quite a few more and companies such as Travel Republic etc. have a wide variety, all of which have vacancies, but that is ridiculous. Needless to say I shall look (and book) elsewhere. :que
I booked my summer holiday to Sicily 2 days ago.
Today I have received an email from Thomson offering a £100 off Christmas present. Is it possible for me to get this discount?
It puts you off booking early.
No. Offers are non retrospective and only apply to new bookings.
Thanks, that's what I thought! They know I've booked with them, I think they have got a cheek sending me an email with a discount 2 days after my booking.
I will not be so loyal to Thomson next time.
But they probably only sent it to you because of the booking! It seems to be a standard marketing practice across many retail sectors - you've shown that you like their product because you have already bought it once and so they send you such offers to try encourage you to become a repeat customer. Depending on how long the voucher or discount is valid for this can sometimes be a good ploy if it encourages you to purchase from them again and one that is worth using if it's for something that you would have bought anyway.

SM
Qman wrote:
Thanks, that's what I thought! They know I've booked with them, I think they have got a cheek sending me an email with a discount 2 days after my booking.
I will not be so loyal to Thomson next time.

It's probably totally unrelated. If you've ever booked anything with them before, or signed up for offers etc. they will have your details on their list, and all 'mail shots' will just be churned out automatically. They aren't generated by humans checking who's just booked.
Definitely not personal to you, I've had the same email and last went on holiday with them November 2012.

It's just coincidence.
I will not be so loyal to Thomson next time

:think It is just coincidence you received it at that point, I haven't made a recent booking with Thomson however I received the same £100 offer in my mailbox this morning.
I've had the "Xmas pressie" from both Thomson and First Choice this morning and haven't booked anything since July.
Well I wish they had sent their Christmas present a couple of days earlier. I could have saved £100!
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.