Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Re: Thomson / TUI
727 Posts
@sheelagheherd -I had an very unsatisfactory experience @ a hotel in Turgetreis,Turkey when I travelled with First Choice just after the Thomson "merger" in 2008. We were moved at short notice (3 days before departure) from the 5*hotel that we had booked to another definitely inferior "5*". No compensation was EVER offered despite the support of the local rep.
My honest review wasn't ever published by Thomson either! I now give ABSOLUTELY no credence to holiday company web site reviews - I look for this site or TA, and even then, I ignore the extremely favourable or extremely negative outliers.
As to "only one room left" -We went to Cuba last March - the hotel we stayed at was showing "one or two rooms left" for months including after our booking. :rofl
I've just been pricing up holidays for March/ April 2013 in the DR - Quite a few of the hotels are showing one or two rooms left - absolute balderdash! ;) Just don't trust the holiday companies!!
TUI Travel admitted today that the company would close further high street shops as the internet becomes an increasingly important sales outlet for the business.

It can only be a matter of time (sooner rather than later I suspect) before towns with separate Thomson and First Choice shops see them merged into one.
Hi im booking my flight tomorrow to sharm for 1st march im looking at booking bhx-ssh tom508/9 or gla-ssh tom732/3 im in the middle so really all depending on which aircraft thomson are using . I would much prefer to fly on a aircraft with recaro seats can anyoneshed any light which aircraft is used on these routes thanks
Welcome louiseowens1983 .... this is our Thomson Holidays topic, you need the Thomson Airways topic in our Airlines & Airports forum ... please click here and post to attract the attention of our aviation experts.

David :wave
Hi,
I'm looking for a bit of advice/info...
Last year we booked our holiday to Turkey around the end of April and liked it so much we are thinking of going back. When we booked last year, the total price for 3 adults was £2130 which we thought was a bargain and expected prices to be a little more expensive this year because of this. However on looking this year, for 10 nights (was 11 nights last year) and worse flights, for the same hotel it is quoting £3474!? What I am wondering is do Thomson put the prices down around the end of the month if they are not selling or is this all because of the additional rise in APD and fuel etc....
We really want to go back there but no way at that price :(
Do you think it is worth going into a shop to see what their price is because from experience, it has always been more expensive??

Many thanks if you are able to give advice (I know it is a bit difficult to judge if prices are going to go down)

pallan

Moved from Thomson Airways. Dazbo HT Mod
pallan wrote:

I know it is a bit difficult to judge if prices are going to go down

Pallan, it's not difficult, it's IMPOSSIBLE!!

You pays yer money and yer takes yer chance... yes, you could try and wait, but risk getting nothing at all.. that's the gamble... :que

ATB,J.
I would say its very rare for a holiday price to reduce for this summer at this stage. There may be a chance for winter
hi....try direct holidays who are giving the extras as part of the price....or thomascook who seem to be offering the best prices for the holidays Ive been looking at....they used to be about same as thomsons but thier prices were lower this year...tweetie
I find thomas cook prices more compettive for spain as this is where they (wrongly) concentrate their business. If u look at TC for say long haul or egypt where thomson has a much bigger presence and much more capacity they are usually more expenaive
hi BEfreeTODAY....you could be right there...it was Rhodes for me and grancaneria I was looking at for a friend.....some are saying turkey has gone more expensive than greece this year....might expane such a hike in the price of merseygul's holiday....tweetie

ps...Im gearing up to do DIY in the future to keep the costs down
Thomas Cook has more Turkey capacity than TUI this year
Thanks everyone for your responses.
We looked on Thomas Cook and they are still quite pricey and dont have the hotel we would like - if we cant get the hotel we want we might have to go somewhere else
We are going to go in a Thomson shop today I think and get a quote and see if their price is any cheaper (I doubt it will be though) and if it isnt cheaper we'll probably give it until the end of the month and then see what the prices are like
I know this is Thomson/TUI topic but has no-one tried Monarch Holidays (no, not Cosmos or Olympic). Prices don't seem too bad but I'm looking for outside school holidays. Flights decent times in most cases. You only have to look at Skytrax to see what the travelling public think of Thomson and TCook at the moment! A few years ago a travel agent advised me to leaving booking a flight until 7-10 days after a school holiday. Tour operators will have reviewed sales during that period then decide whether to leave prices the same or reduce them. It certainly worked when I was booking flight only to Paphos. Only once in 10 years did I book flight only direct with a tour operator. Don't trust their customer reviews as I've previously commented about the inflight questionnaire! I use TripAdvisor and weigh up number of VGood/Excellent against Poor/Terrible then decide on bookinig. It's a big expense these days and I want some value for my hard earned cash.
Monarch Holidays are only a trading name of Cosmos Holidays, and they are the tour operator. Monarch prices are often slightly cheaper though. Neither company has anything to do with Olympic.
BEfreeTODAY wrote:
I find thomas cook prices more compettive for spain as this is where they (wrongly) concentrate their business. If u look at TC for say long haul or egypt where thomson has a much bigger presence and much more capacity they are usually more expenaive

Have to say that I am finding the Thomson prices for Egypt/Red Sea for next Easter school holiday periods really high compared to other years, whereas Thomas Cook are (slightly) more reasonable. I do appreciate that it is an expensive time to travel whoever you go with, so am trying to look at it in that context.

It's probably too early to book with the big names at this stage, hopefully there will be price fluctuations as the year progresses and I can jump in and book when I spot them.
Sorry if this sounds like a daft question, but received my holiday document today - notice I said holiday document and inside there are no 'tickets' when I was last away in August you got an A5 travel document with lots of info and pull out tickets for the airport staff etc, now its a wee document showing outward and inbound flight details and a couple of pages of info - is that what you get now?
I think they've done away with the rather nice flash booklet.

Mark :)
So do you get actual tickets then or is that it?
I didn't - just an A4 piece of paper.

Mind you - I booked online and everything was emailed across to me. Used to get the booklet even when booking online.

Mark :)
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.