Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
its all down to the profit margins they are working to..
I had a similar experience last year with Thomson V Olympic exactly the same holiday down to flights on a Thomsonfly aircraft, Olympic were £80 cheaper i asked Thomson to beat the price and was told they could not reduce the price they had quoted me any further, then the weird thing hapend, they offered to book the holiday through Olympic and gave me an extra £20 per person discount on the original Olympic price :que
The 'problem' is that we have found what looks like the same holiday next Feb half term for about £600 cheaper !
It looks too good to be true ! Perhaps we are too cynical :rofl

From a flight we had last year with Thomas Cook we were happy and from the reviews of the hotels more than happy.
We just can't see why Thomson are charging about £500 or more per couple.

I suppose it is too good to be true and should just book it

We haven't holidayed before with Thomas Cook so are edgy ---- like I said, too good to be true !

:que
No, in my experience it's not too good to be true. Different holiday companies have different prices just like supermarkets. I suspect Thomson are just trading on their good name but in my experience Thomas Cook take a lot to be beaten. I have holidayed with both companies and haven't had a problem with either. I usually book with TC now as they are so much cheaper for the same holiday- even as you say, using thomsonfly aeroplanes.

A works colleague has just found a holiday she wants to book much cheaper with TC but as she's always used Thomson and trusts the company she's going to ask them to price match. Not sure if they will, given that the previous poster said they wouldn't price match for him. I'd ask anyway, as you've nothing to lose. If they refuse I'd go ahead and book with TC.
Sometimes there may be a difference in the type of standard rooms that each company uses which can make a difference to the price that that the operator charges, for example Thomson might have a sea view room as their lead in standard room while TC might have an inland or limited view as their lead in room.

It is very much swings and roundabouts, one is cheaper for one holiday and the other is cheaper for a different holiday that is why it is important to shop around, we just booked on Friday to go to Kenya next year and the identical date ,hotel flights etc was £700 cheaper with Thomson than Thomas Cook :que

We haven't holidayed before with Thomas Cook so are edgy ---- like I said, too good to be true !

I wouldn't worry about going with Thomas Cook, apart from one problem just after they took over Direct Holidays who we had booked through we have not had a problem and have used them many times, just as good as Thomsons :tup
Graham
Well the work's colleague I mentioned in my last post booked with Thomson although they were quite a bit more expensive than TC. When they requested Thomson matched the price they were told that they couldn't. when pressed for a reason, they used the potential 'Ash situation' as an excuse. They remarked that if that situ were to arise again that Thomson helped out their customers with regards to extra nights accomodation whereas TC didn't :que Not at all sure about this being correct.
Both companies looked after their customers very well during the ash crisis so for a thomson agent to say that to you is not only incorrect but also the hard sell in order to get you to book with them.

As an agent, 90% of our business is dynamic packaging however one thing we have noticed is that standard tour operator packages, especially thomas cook have quite oftened worked out more favourable and we have sold far more packages than we ever have done.

What i would advise anyone is to get your agent to have a look at everyone and then compare. If you are using a thomson or thomas cook shop, they are there to try and promote their own so if you have an independant agent in your town, get a price from them too as they are not tied to anyone so can use who they wish which is an extra benefit to you, the customer.

Thanks
I also think that how many are in your party makes a difference to the price as well.

We are going away in Feb 2011 AI (first time for years) and TC were alot dearer than First Choice were so we obviously booked with those again.Same with Ibiza in October of 2011. First Choice cheaper than TC. :tup
If it all comes down to price then perhaps you should go with Thos Cook. Not even a saving of £500 each would persuade me to book with them but that is my personal preference. If you don't mind who you book with go with the deal that ultimately you feel happy with.
Usually down to supply and demand also - maybe Thomas Cook have sold that hotel during february since its been on sale and therefore they feel they need to drastically discount the holiday. If business on these dates starts to improve, the discount will gradually be reduced and be given elsewhere.

As other people have said, its swing and roundabouts.
Many thanks for that everyone - we have lots to think about - must abmit, £600 savings is a lot if it is the same holiday !

:cheers
I wouldnt hesitate at booking with TC if it was only £50 cheaper nevermind £600, both companies are big corparations both german owned and both very much the same, same problems with each company, both looked after customers during volcano eruption as is their obligation.
Thanks - I suppose I just can't understand why their prices are sooooo much better than Thomson on nearly all holidays.
I suppose we are just cynical and look for the catch! Or is it that Thomson are getting greedy ? :que

It seems that if you are booking anything over 2 months in advance its much more expensive like for like with Thomson than Thomas Cook but then around 2 months before the prices seem to level out, i presume its because Thomson are hoping people will book at the highest prices and they make further profits and then if they dont sell them all they can still make a profit just not as much by lowering them 2 months before.
We usually book early - I think we will check out Thomas Cook. Like I said, we had a good flight with them last year and
have only avoided booking with them becuase we have normally gone with Thomson or First Choice.To be honest I find the Thomson brochures better and the on line booking so much easier to use !

Agree that the technology behind the Thomson/FC website is much better but i could be bias :tup , the Thomas Cook.com website itself is actually a travel agency and can sell other tour operators holidays, there have been a few cases where customers have gone to TC.com and booked a holiday they thought was with TC but was actually with Thomson for example, however there is a search option at the top to select on Thomas Cook Holidays.
I have never used Thomas Cook before, have looked at holidays before and their prices always seemed to be more than Thomson, so not even bothered with them since - might have to have a look now though
Am I also right in thinking that Direct Holidays is Thomas Cook's cheaper 'arm' a bit like Portland Direct is Thomson's ?

Must admit, it is the web sites and brochures (Thomas Cook) that put me off as they don't see half as professional.
I have checked that they are Thomas Cook holidays -

I have to add that we are looking for holidays in half term next Feb - for Thomson we are looking at about £1800 for a
decent HB hotel. The same holiday is coming out at £1200 for Thomas Cook . A lot of money for a week's holiday.

Have you checked the difference in the price brackets in the brochures the Thomas Cook one might run just up to the day you are going in the cheaper price and then increase whereas Thomson might be in different price brackets, sometimes it also comes down to online discounts sometimes Thomas Cook will show say -£550 discount and so will Thomson, sometimes they wont, that is loaded in automatically for each promotion if say a hotel isnt selling as well at the higher prices.
Hi, haven't really checked that as we are tied to specific school holidays. I will have a look though, Thanks for all
your help -- am on the Thomas Cook site as we type ! :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.