Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
Tobacco Products
46 Posts
I would avoid the plane, these are usually expensive. Locally it is very reasonable for our brands, but give the fortuna a try they are very good and very very cheap!!!!
Thanks Debbg,

Where (or what) is the fortuna?
I would normally agree with Debbg and say avoid the planes but on my last trip about a month ago it was actually cheaper to buy British make cigarettes on the plane flying into Lanzarote than on the island. (I'd done my homework in advance as well)
To give you an idea - 200 B+H were 19 euros in the supermarket and about 18 in the camera shops on the front.

Kaz
I agree with Kaz, generally it's cheaper to buy them in the camera shops, but sometimes the airlines have a good offer on board. To possibly put the cat amongst the pigeons, just be careful that those you buy in Lanzarote are genuine British ones, as Spanish versions of e.g. Regal are in abundance, and do not taste the same as the genuine article! I know this as I made the mistake a few months ago - and sometimes those the shops say are British and are labelled as such, are actually the Spanish ones mislabelled! Be careful out there!
Agreed, I buy mine on the plane when flying to tenerife 400 Silk Cut were £20.00 last year, cheaper than in resort!
I'm flying with Thomas Cook Airlines in 8 days, and their website has a price list for all merchandise available on board (cigs, perfumes etc):
http://www.thomascookairlines.co.uk/Spirits_Cigarettes_2.htm
Other airlines might have similar info on their websites, or have similar prices on board.

I've read on other forums that you can buy Bensons/Silk Cut etc in resort for about €18 for 200 (I think that's about £12...) Coronas and other 'cheap smelly' brands are much cheaper.
Fortuna are the spanish/european cigarettes. You can get normal, lights, menthol etc. They smell a bit like marlborough, but the taste is good. These are available everywhere, to single packs over the counter and cigarette machines to 200's over the counters. They work out about £1.50 per pack!!!!
Just been on http://www.britanniaairways.com/ - their on board price list includes Benson & Hedges at £19.50, Regal and Silk Cut purple at £19.50 - for 400 - I make that about 97p per pack! Not bad, eh!
cheapest is 16 euros for 200
Thanks for that,is it right you can only bring 200 back in to the uk?
Yes that's true, I'm afraid!!!!
200 cigs and only 1 litre of spirits - which is a real pain because you can get loads of cheap stuff. Last year I bought three 350ml bottles (a Tia Maria, a Blue Bols and a Malibu) so I was only just over the limit... :wink:
Going back to Lanzarote this year after a gap of many years. Is it still the case that spirits are cheaper in the supermarkets than in the duty free shops on the way out?
Yes, still mainly true, depending on what you are drinking :D
I didn't think Duty Free prices were too bad. There were some specials on too.

Kind of depends if you want one particular thing, or if you'd choose from a few....say you want either vodka or whisky...one would have been on special.
Not sure about alcohol, but cigarettes are def cheaper over there.
We found alcohol cheaper in the supermarkets. If you're in PDC try Supersol in the old town. Some of the shops along the front which sell cigarettes are also quite good price wise for alcohol.
Just got back from CT last night. Found the cheapest place for booze (lots in plastic bottles) and ciggies to be a small shop run by a lovely indian gentleman just along from the main supermarket and Nazaret apartments.
The airport did have some specials but it was still cheaper here.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.