Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
seem to remember having to go down steps to get off trains at most stops on route to barca. never gone into city on train though.
you do realise that lloret does not have train station and you have to get bus to blanes and then train.
dont remember busses being too wheelchair friendly either.
sorry.
Seem to remember the train station in Barca was underground, really cant remember seeing lifts.
Thanks for reply, Barcelona ,has a lift for disabled walkers/ wheelchair users, just now I can only travel with chair ,so do not know about trains ,maxie
I beleive that ramps are available for trains at stations and in the centre of Barca there are lifts from the platforms up to the barriers. I diddn't see any but I can't beleive that there then wouldn't be a lift from the barriers up to street level.
maxie, I'm off to somewhere nearby on Thursday for a week and we intend to travel into Barcelona three or four times on the train. If you can wait nearly two weeks I will be happy to keep a sharp eye on the facilities for wheelchair users and post a response when I return home.
HI Thanks Magstar ,that would be a great help to me and possibly many others ,cheers maxie :D
hi ,HIDE HI hi, I do not think I imagined that I traveled up into University Square,any way other than with a lift,On the ocassions I did this I did not imagine I asked for directions and lo behold there was the lift ,next time you are there check out the lift to the staion from UNI Square.It is not well posted but it is there, cheers maxie
HI MAGSTAR if you are travelling from Blanes direction to Barcelona alight at the third stop from the time you enter the underground ,cheers maxie
catch the bus to blanes from lloret, there is areas in the carraige for wheelchairs , also there are lifts at barelona ( sants )
If I remember rightly though, the buses to and from Lloret to Blanes stop around 8pm.
Hello Maxie, reporting for duty as promised!

Most of the stations on the C1 line into Barcelona including Blanes have been adapted to allow ease of access to the platform for wheelchair users. (I asked about that but my own eyes confirmed that this was true.) However......I would say that your problem would be actually getting onto the train if you were on your own. I did see several wheelchair users on my several trips into Barcelona but they were always accompanied. There appear to be no station staff around that would be able to assist you actually alighting the train. The problem is that there are at least two small steps up to the carriage floor level plus the automatic step that slips out from the bottom of the carriage if the platform is lower than usual. This would make getting on and off the train difficult.

Once on the train though there is plenty of space for wheelchair users. There is no official designated area but there are areas close to the door with fold up seats and there is a sign on the windows advising people that the space is reserved for wheelchair users, buggies, mothers with small children and the elderly. I didn't see anyone take any notice of that sign! However, there is plenty of space for a wheelchair all along the carriage.

We alighted every day at Placa Catalunya. There is a lift from platform level to the main concourse but I didn't see anything going to street level. I understand that if you go one stop further on to Sants, there are lifts there that will take you all the way up to street level.

Don't get taken short when travelling. Apart from the fact that where there are toilets in the station they are absolutely disgusting, you wouldn't get a wheelchair through the doors. Actually there are very few public toilets in Barcelona so you have to either use the toilets in the museums etc you are visiting, which are wheelchair adapted or the toilets in cafes and restaurants, which in 99% of cases have not been adapted.

I found a really useful site which explains what stations have been adapted, what lines on the metro and trains have been adapted and what is in the pipeline, with regard to wheelchair users. If you get the Spanish site, just click home and then the English version and navigate to Transport for everyone. I think you may find this useful!

Have fun and good luck :-)

http://www.tmb.net/en_US/barcelona/bonviatge/transportpertothom.jsp
HI THANKS ,Sorry for late reply, you have been a great help ,usually two of us go to spain so getting on /off not too big a problem, will book with easier mind though. Their is a lift at stop for University Square ,chers Maxie :D :D :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.