Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
Hi there
We went on our first trip to the Highlands last May.We found the journey very straightforward, lots of dual carriageway roads with hardly any traffic beyond Edinburgh.I was amazed to see snow topped Ben Nevis in the distance.We stayed at a caravan site near Dornoch which is 40 miles beyond Inverness.The scenery beyond Edinburgh is amazing.We would love to go back but for us it was 500miles door to door so a heck of a long way!

We criss crossed the Highlands during our week there and we were surprised to find that many of the 'red A' roads were single track.I was the only driver and I was quite concerned about meeting other vehicles but to be honest you can see a long way ahead and there are passing places every few hundred yards so it really isn't a problem.The traffic is so light you will drive for miles and miles without seeing another vehicle!We couldn't believe how few cars were on the roads! We wanted to meander and take in the scenery so we pulled into passing places to allow the 'locals' to overtake us whenever a vehicle loomed up behind us.

Sorry i have no info about disabled access.We were self catering so we didn't eat out much.We did go to the Falls of Shin to see the salmon leaping upstream and that visitor centre and cafee had disabled access.

We went up the coast road to Wick and John O'Groats a couple of times the 'green A' road -A9 -is a good fast road- the sea views are superb.The car parking thoughout Scotland was often free-a nice change.The view North fron John o'Groats is something else- a patchwork of islands as far as you can see- The Orkneys in all their glory and the Old Man of Hoy claerly visible.

Not far from John O'Goats is Dunscaby Head with a lovely lighthouse and free car park but nothing else- but there is a walk over the field to view Dunscaby Stacks which is well worth the effort.If you take the road West from John O'Groats you come to Dunnet Head and if you climb a few yards up to the top of the hill you can see for miles and miles.

The roads that run round the coast are all double track roads as are the green roads on the map.You will see some gorgeous uninhabited beaches.I think you would find the trip from Inverness to John O'Groats easily do-able in a day, its such a good road, it would be about 110 miles from Inverness.

We went over to Ullapool one day and our most memorable view is of approaching Ullapool from the North on the A835 when suddenly to our left we could see the Summer Isles , Horse Island ans Isle Martin dotted in a tranquil sea we both went 'Ooh look'! Then we turned the bend to see Ullapool in Loch Broom, a jaw dropping sight.

The lochs and mountains and lack of traffic makes Scotland the last true wilderness! Enjoy your trip I'm sure you will love it.We did.

Old Flopsy

PS.There is a super fish n chip shop/cafe at Golspie (on the main road A9 towards Wick though the village) where they cook the fish to order -yummy.We would drive 12 miles to get these for tea! When we asked in the chippy where the nearest supermarket was he said '40 miles away in Inverness'! But they had Co-op stores in the towns and villages.
Thanks very much for that. We are starting to get our plans loosely in place now and will certainly try some of your reccomendations, very helpfull.

Best Regards - Taggy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.