Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Hi and welcome to HT!

Ask for a final decision letter from your insurer than proceed with their Complaints Procedure. Once you have done that you can take it to the Insurance Ombudsman.

luci :wave
This is not unique. We know someone in Bangkok who was told they had to check-in for their already cancelled flight to be eligible for travel insurance pay-outs.

Considering they had 2 children, there were protests / riots in Bangkok, they would have to check out their hotel, head across town to a hellish atmosphere at Bangkok Airport to try and check in for a flight that the airline had cancelled two days previously (proof was available of this!) I told them it's an absurd situation. Naturally, they should do what the insurance company is telling them, but personally told them not to bother as the insurance company would have no option but to backtrack on this.

The insurers were just following a script that didn't take into consideration the exceptional situation. I have no doubt you don't have to worry about this. Get a letter confirming the flights cancellation and follow Luci's advice.

However, if you were booked on one of the cancelled flights that were re-instated at the last minute (of which there were a few), and didn't make the flight, there might be an additional obstacle or two.
I'd be wary of doing (or not doing) something just because it was on the news, even if they claimed to be quoting the airline. I now that journalists haven't got a clue when it comes to railway matters so I see no reason why I should trust them on airlines (or any other subject) without double checking. On the other hand, if there was a timed and dated notice on the airline or tour ops website saying not to go to the airport then it would be reasonable to do as they say - but print it out!

I would what the excuse to not pay would have been if the flight had been cancelled because the airport was closed?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.