General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Travel wash
41 Posts
I have a small tube which I bought from Wilkinsons but you can buy it in supermarkets anywhere, I think. We use it for any thing we need to re wear (Underwear, swimwear etc) My OH puts washing in the bidet
:oops: and it works quite well. I am not too sure on Children's clothes, though. All that holiday ice cream and such can be tricky to get out at the best of times! :wave:
Thanks starkeybabe

Yep chocolate icecream is the worst stain to get out of anything!! I know the travel wash prob wont do that but for t shirts that are just abit "grubby" im hoping it will do the job and freshen them up abit

I will have a look around for it next time im town - i hadnt thought of wilkinsons... :tup
Have a good holiday, fatcodycat. We go next Sunday and you have just reminded me to root our travel wash out. We like to take as little as possible so we can fill up with our duty frees to come back with! :cheers
yes extra space for duty free is always good! :cheers

We dont go until june but just trying to get organised!! hope you have a good holiday too!!
Travel wash is great stuff, a couple of tubes mean only half as many pants/socks/swimwear in the case and it is absolutely fine for rinsing tops through for a second wear........ i have washed jeans once, it worked but it took a whole tube and best part of an hour to wash and rinse :duh
I buy mine from superdrug, it's really good and a small bottle usually lasts us two holidays now as my son is now, well mostly, past the " dripping tomatoe sauce down front" stage. :D
Much cheaper option & guaranteed results.......save or buy a couple of small empty bottles and refill with Persil Liquid or the like :tup
Thanks for the replies everyone, like i said im not going till june so will have a look around and see what i can get sounds like its certainly worth taking some to freshen up clothes :tup
The travel wash is much more concentrated that normal washing liquid so it goes further and lasts longer. I also buy mine in superdrug, I dont think it works out any more expensive than decanting your own because it is so much more concentrated.
Persil Mighty is actually more concentrate than Travel wash. I only started decanting because the tubes/capped bottles of travel wash never seemed tough enough.......had some bad accidents in the past :cry You've never seen so much foam in a hotel sink before in your life when rinsing it out of all the affected clothes :rofl
I never bother with travel wash either - I find that Arial Ultra or any other concentrated handwash is much better. When going to Cuba on a dance holiday there's no way I can manage without washing the 'practice' clothes out each day. The smallest size lasts me the fortnight despite washing at least one (sometimes two) complete set of clothes out every day. On an ordinary holiday I decant some into a 100ml refillable bottle from Boots and that easily lasts for rinsing through underwear and the odd t-shirt or two etc.

One way of making both travel wash and ultra go further is to NOT dissolve it in the water first but to put the garment in the clean water, then put a very small amount directly onto any stains or specific marks, rub it in and then rinse out in the water and give it a good dunk along with other stuff that just needs freshening up before rinsing properly in fresh water.

SM
For stains like chocolate ice cream I would take both travel wash/Persil mighty and some pre wash stain remover (Asda do a good one in a spray bottle) into a 50/100ml spray bottle from Superdrug/Boots. Put the stain remover on the stain and then wash with everything else. The Asda pre wash got marks from Twiglets out of a white t shirt.
Is it worth buying some washing powder in resort, especially if you are on holiday for 14 days? You may also find a local launderette, even perhaps one with service washes! A good rub with soap also helps, and DON'T FORGET the clothes pegs and something to double up as a washing line!
Thanks again everyone

I actually do have some of the asda pre wash stain remover and had not thought about decanting it into a smaller bottle so thats an idea and also reminded me i need to look for some small, cheap clothes pegs...

Fatcodycat :sun2
I'd look in Poundstretcher or Wilkinsons for small cheap clothes pegs. The other alternative is to buy the washing line that Design go make which is twisted so that you don't need pegs. It'd probably be lighter and take up less room than a bag of even small clothes pegs.
hi, talking about clothes pegs, reminded me of something that happened a few years ago to me at the airport. remember it was in the days of when you could put practically anything in your hand luggage. I put my very packed holdall of hand luggage on the converyor belt to go through the xray, i duly walked on through the normal doorframe scanner and was stopped to have my holdall searched. A few more security men turned up and stood behind the security officer that was checking my bag. I was really worried by now and frantically trying to think what on earth had i packed. it was all a bit embarrassing as out came enough medicines to open a chemist, sweets, toiletries, radio and goodness knows what else, and there at the bottom of my bag was the culprit. A PACK OF CLOTHES PEGS. !! they were the old wooden ones with the metal spring and 36 of them all pegged on a bit of cardboard. Going through the scanner they looked like a cache of bullets!! well the security guard held them up and just gave me a stern look. how embarrased was I. :oops: So if you do take pegs, pack them in your suitcase or make sure they are loose in bag. - dotty
:rofl I think i will pack clothes pegs in the suitcases then... ;)
I've always just purchased the travel wash bottles, so it's interesting to hear the views on whether or not it's better to take the concentrated liquids instead

I take a small amount of pegs, but usually have a couple of those twisty ropes where you don't need pegs, as they are so flexible, and can be hung up anywhere, including INDOORS if you want as they come with suction pads too. I've always found them very handy for hanging across your balcony, or even better for hanging around various places inside and outside of mobile homes!
Hi all.

A little tip that I use, is that if you take ANY bottles in your luggage (sun lotion,travel wash,shampoo etc.) then put the bottles into food/freezer bags just in case they decide to leak.

David
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.