Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi John

It is a bit of a eye opener when you have to travel in the school holidays, been there, done that, and the prices are inflated to quite a high degree in some of the destinations................we now travel as a couple, kids grown up and do their own thing, (hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!) so we do have the luxury of picking dates out of the high season or term time traps, and we always go second week of May and again mid September, all our holidays are 10 or 11 nights and this year, our holiday for May was booked at a bargain price...............yippee. We paid £1300 (just over) for 2 of us for 10 nights to the Voyage Torba, so I am well chuffed.

I do believe that a lot of the high prices for hotels are within certain areas, and if you are prepared to compromise and maybe fly later during the day and switch to a different region of Turkey, you can find some amazing hotels, that, ok, may not be the high end luxury ones of Belek, but they do offer you so much more by way of beauty, walks and amazing places to visit, which to us, always gets the thumbs up. Yes we do love the luxury of the UAI, but we have learned as we have gone on more holidays to Turkey, that there is far more to Turkey than a pool and the hotel confines, regardless of how luxurious it is......that is why, we now choose Torba, Turgutreis, Bitez and Ortakent above anywhere else, we have never been let down, never had a wobble and to us it offers everything we want from a holiday...............The Rixos Bodrum is one amazing hotel, just everything you would want, and equals any we have stayed at, so, maybe one you could look at too.............

You say how much you are paying John and when you are going..........but, put me out of my misery, WHERE are you going, just a very nosey person!!!!!!

Take care. And let me know.................. :D
We paid £1300 (just over) for 2 of us for 10 nights to the Voyage Torba, so I am well chuffed.

I really fancied the Voyage Hotels - Belek was one I priced up during my research....... :(

So we (looks like it might be as many as 15 now) are off to the Tarhan Beach Club 26th July to 9th August- described as Altinkum but about 9k out of town !
Flights out of Manchester - Red Eye outbound (lands around 3.00am) but a half decent flight on the way back at 17.30pm out of Bodrum. Flights with Onur Air.
Booked through Sunwings - we used them last year for a fortnight in August at the Garden of Sun (lengthy review posted if you are interested).

The hotel has mixed reviews but we think last years look pretty good overall when you discount the 'no chips' reviews. Certainly not UAI but seems very similar to GoS last year. May end up spending a few TL on the Dolmus to find some nightlife when we feel like it but we are all Ok with that.

Costing £632 per per adult and £300 for the kids - excluding transfers ( pick up a private transfer for half the price they charge).
Thomas Cook are charging £850 pp for the same date but that DOES include a transfer :)

John.
Well it sounds ok to me, and I have read your review for GoS and it is very informative, it may be what my daughter would be looking for, there are 5 of them plus friends and their family, so always about 15 to 20 travel, and Altinkum is a good place for nightlife for the older ones.

Can't believe TC wanted £200 pp extra for this years holiday just because it included transfers,...well, actually I can believe it, what a rip off. There are lots of taxi transfers from Bodrum airport that will happily transfer the whole gang of you for far less than that...infact, possibly will only cost you the additional £200 for you all in total?????????????

I know there are some you can book from home via e mail, and very competative. Island Hoppa is one that seems to be used a lot.

As for the Voyage chain of hotels, the Torba one and the Voyage Sorgun seem to be getting the absolute rave reviews, and I think you should keep it on your list of deffos' for the future...................I will of course be letting you all know what I think on our return in May............14 weeks til blast off, can't wait, I am now on official count down and I have already got my holiday head on!!!!!!!!!!!what a complete saddo!!!! :sun2
Just should point out that The Garden of Sun is suffering a mild case of demolition at the moment.......

If cured, should be OK - if not, may have no roof or pool :(

Used Mariya Tour last year - £90 return for 8 of us.

John
I've already got my holiday head on,Trifle and we don't go til July :rofl Don't know what I'm going to do with myself for the next six months! :wave:
Don't know what I'm going to do with myself for the next six months

Easy sharon . You start researching 2011 :rofl
We paid £1300 (just over) for 2 of us for 10 nights to

Another 'teaching' couple
Same figure , £1300 :)

But its only for one , real price £2600 for both of us :duh

Flying out 24th July!
No Lyn, you try and squeeze another one in before 2011 ;)
We could have 4 weeks
5* AI
for that in school hols :rofl

John
minione, I am with you on that one......always try and squeeze another holiday in.oh yes, every time. :tup

wallbash, we couldn't believe our luck at that price, we don't often get any bargains, so really pleased, increased by £400 though for our jaunt in September......................but hey ho, such is life!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

And John, there seems to be a big over haul at a lot of the hotels and resorts........will keep an eye on it though, cos it sounds ok. :wave:

lynwestie, love you style...........................2011 here we come. :sun2

Take care.
I have just booked two weeks AL to Gumbet for 25th sep for £457 pp. i have been to gumbet 20 times or more, but not for the last 5 yrs as my life situ changed and have found hol booking a bit hard.
Therefore, for the first time, i have decided to try AL so if i don't have tonnes n tonnes of spends, i won't have to worry too much :cheers .
I think as AL's go, it's a very basic one. Seen the pics, looks good, but hey, they don't show you rubiish ones do they ?
I am going with this attitude.... i have 2 weeks AL for not much more than 2 weeks bb, or self catering. So, as long as my room, bedding, n towels are clean, the pool is clean and usable, i can get coffee n bread at breakfast time, and some drinks in the bar at night, up to 11pm, before i wanna go hit the bars in the resort, i will be happy with that, for what i have paid.
Anything else i get on top of that, will be a bonus in my attitude. I think you can make a big diff to how you feel about your hol by the attitude you approach it with.
I have not been abroad for 5 summers now, used to go three times a year, so i miss my hols greatly, and i will definately appreciate this one, enjoy it, and make the most of every single moment :cheers

hope everyone has a great hol this summer, cos i intend to make sure i do my very best to have one too, cheers :cheers xx
Which hotel are you staying at Sasslass? I used to live in Gumbet ;)
Bella Casa ...... it doesn't seem to exist in the reveiw section, so maybe i should be worried.... but i have been to Gumbet lots of times, so i'm going open minded re the accoms, as long as i have the basics, and it is clean.... boy..... i need this holiday lol :sun2 :cheers xxx
Sasslass

I think your attitude is the best one to adopt..............if you have never done AI before, and you know your budget and what that will get you, then job's a good un.
Like you say, if money gets a bit tight, at least you know you will be ok for a few bevvies, soft drinks and water, plus meals too, so all will be well. And the bonus is, you have stayed in Gumbet before, so you know what to expect.

I haven't heard of this hotel, but, maybe Jakki or Kedi could help you out?

I know you will have a wonderful time, and welcome back to Turkey.
Bella Casa Suites used to be Poseidon Hotel, Bella Casa Hotel is just along from there. The reviews are a bit mixed but I think you have exactly the right attitude. Most of the complaints are about the food but I think people expect too much for the price and if you are using the hotel as a base then you will be fine.

There are lots of reviews on Trip Advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g298661-d1479703-Reviews-Bella_Casa_Suites_Club-Gumbet_Bodrum_Peninsula_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

I would definitely go with an open mind and you will have a great time

Kedi
Thanks so much to you all for your help :)
I did actually read the reveiws on trip advisor before i went ahead n booked it, i just thought, as has been said, some people expect too much for their money, they think AL n they think, regardless how little they pay it should be superduper!!

If they had said the hotel was minging n never cleaned, i wouldn't have booked, as it was mostly on the food, i wasn't too fussed, i know a good few places to eat nice n cheap in gumbet, eat where the turks eat i say ;)

Hey ho, i'm sure i'll have a great time, either way, ty all xxxxx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.