Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
thanks for that LeisureLad, very considerate of you and very well put!
Have to say that I totally agree, after all you do get what you pay for don't you?!
Have to agree.

We went AI to Side in October, 3*, was £400 less than a 3* SC apartment, so weren't expecting much.

TBH, it was ok. The food was really good for the first 36 hours, chicken kebabs cooking fresh in front of us. But there was only one choice, with plain pototoes at dinner, rice at lunch, then salad. Breakfast was bread and jam, and this was the only time hot water was available...orange juice, soft drinks and local stuff was available all day though. After those 36 hours, the food wasn't being served hot, we saw them set it up over 2 hours before dinner. On the fourth day we were moved to a 4* AI as this hotel was closed (toilet, water and kitchen problems) and the food was much better, with two or three choices, and it was hot if you got there on time.

The biggest let down was the fact that none of the staff spoke any english. So when the hotel was closed, we were only told my another dutch couple staying there that could speak english...this was at 8.30 and the coach was picking us up at 9. I have never packed a suitcase so fast!

So yes, there are good deals, but people need to know what to expect...we knew we weren't going to get much, so weren't particuarly disappointed with the food.
We have also heard some negative things about cheap AI's in Turkey, this has been happening for a couple of years now. We have spoken to someone who paid something ridiculous like £8 per night, then spent the whole of their holiday regretting it. The accommodation and food was dire, so they spent as little time as possible in the hotel. There is plenty of reasonably priced accommodation in Turkey that is of a good standard, so unless you don't care what standard it is, steer well clear of very cheap AI.
This is something I have mentioned many times. Hotels that were never oiginally AI have changed over in the last few years creating very cheap, poor quality hotels with bland repetative food and cheap quality drinks. Not only is this bad for people who have booked this accomodation and have not budgeted for eating out and so are stuck in their hotel for their entire holiday, it is also bad for the businesses who previoulsy relied on the trade of the people staying at those hotels.

Yes,you certainly do get what you pay for and at those ridiculously low prices you cannot expect quality accomodation, food or drink. Anyone thinking of booking at one of these places should seriously consider what they are looking for before booking.
It might also be worth mentioning the star ratings of the hotels as well.....
What may be classified as a 5* in Turkey would not get that classification elsewhere.
We stayed in a 5* AI last year but I would probably rate it as a good 3*.

Having stayed at a few 'Cheap AI' over the last couple of years and not just in Turkey, I have one golden rule.....

Do your research BEFORE you book the holiday.

You can save a lot of heartache by spending some time reading the reviews on here and other sites before you pay that deposit !

John
I am shocked by the fact its the Travel agents who make people think they are getting a 5star AIs for little money.
My friends daughter went to a 5 star AI hotel last year for £300!
I knew it would be a Litera hotel and when she returned she said it was awful.
I have been offered these hotels by reputable travel agents such as Thomson and First Choice.
JayTrip

It's the Tour Operators and Accommodation Supplier ratings that cause the problems and i do think that this is where travel agents knowledge and experience come into force.

Some hotels are graded by the amount of facilities they offer which doesn't necessarily reflect the standard of rooms and food etc.

As said before, if the agent is selling you a 5* hotel at that kind of price, question it and check it out if you have any doubts.

The two destinations that causes problems with the all inclusives are Turkey and Egypt as their ratings may not be to what some people are use to, leaving them dissapointed.

Quite often there are other hotels with much better reviews and standards for a little extra money, as an agent, i don't mind being challenged by my clients as more often than not, i can find something alternative and for the sake of an extra £30 or so, it could be mean the difference between a good and a bad holiday.

Again, it's down to experience and how the property is sold, i believe in being honest with my clients and generally, it is very welcomed.

Thanks
I am lucky having access to the internet and always research my hotels,and must admit I sometimes find myself going around in circles when reading conflicting reviews.
I am also lucky in finding an agent at my local Thomas Cook who always gives me the web price and she even gave me 20kgs luggage last October for no extra charge!
She unfortunately doesnt know much about Turkey as she hasnt been.
She even phoned me for advice before booking her parents a holiday to Icmeler.
I agree Egypt is another destination where it pays to do your research as there are some horrible 5 star hotels there!
One of the best holidays I have had was in a small family owned 2 star hotel in Elounda,Crete.
Two all inclusives come to mind in Icmeler,both 3 star,costing just over £300 for 2 weeks for 2 people,sounds great!!but if you read the reviews you would stay well clear,and before anyone asks,no that didnt include flights.
to be honest if you are going to turkey for the reason of an a/i holiday only you could possibly go any where in the world for the same prices as the 5* ai but if you are visting turkey for its culture its fine food and very friendly people a/i is not the way to go, its take life as its mean't and do it all as the turkish do, its so much fun and there is so much to do
pensions are great usually family run and very cheap 20 years ago this was all there was bar a couple of big hotels in most resorts
try it and experience the real deal :sun2
This year all the BIG UK agencies are offering lower class ( I don't mean that they are low class but compared to the normal all inclusive 5 star beach front hotels in Icmeler) hotels as all inclusive and are filling them.

We work very closely with the managements and owners of these hotels in Turkey and though they are great as a BB or HB hotel itr may be their first time as all inclusive.

The big agencies are pushing them like mad as I have been testing a few high street stores out myself (secret shopper style) and the people running these places are reading off a fact sheet and just selling it to people who really have no access to internet to read about these places.

No doubt in next years reviews there will be an awful lot of places slated that were once great hotels but because they do not know the "type" of all inclusive people are used to who normally go to Europe they will not get it right.

There is one place I know well that had great reviews for years and now from last years first time at all inclusive has died a death.

When will they learn not to fix something if it isn't broken.

John
John Toohey wrote:
When will they learn not to fix something if it isn't broken.

I suspect they're only changing through demand. With the economic climate as it is, many travellers, especially familes are looking to minimise costs and all inclusive is a good way of knowing your budget and sticking to it. I agree with you though, it's a lot of effort running an AI hotel so existing hotels / apartments that make the transition will need to be on the ball to keep their reputations.

Darren
There are also a lot of cheap 5* AI deals out there which are not living up to people expectations......

5* suggests the ultimate in luxury, quality food and drinks, quality service ?

Either people are stupid or being misled because you aren't going to get 'true 5*' treatment for £600 -700 a fortnight in peak season.

These hotels are going to get the reviews from hell when people get home because they go anticipating so much more than they could ever get for that amount of cash. The hotels and tour ops need to manage expectations better.

John
It is true you do only get a true 5* if you pay for it and still with the costs rising a good 5* would cost approx 1k per week with all the trimming so you only really get a 2* with food and drink for £600 per fortnight
Hiya

Ok, AI is something we have always done in Turkey, and we have stayed at quite a few, and with one, maybe 2 exceptions in our years of travelling they have all been superb..................
You cannot expect to get quality for loose change, that is a fact. You should be prepared to look at an approximate cost of £100 to £150 per day per person for a weeks stay, slightly less if you are staying longer, (works out cheaper the longer you stay) we have paid as much as £3000 for 2 of us for a fortnights AI, and yes it was at the end of August, so still high season, but the service and facilities we got, were absolutely out of this world.
Taxi transfers to and from the hotel, 25kg luggage allowance, international branded drinks, some spa facilities, 6 a la carte restaurants, private beach etc, so we agreed that it was exceptional value for money, taking the flights into consideration it worked out at less than £100 per day pp for a wonderful holiday. Where could you go in England for that amount of cash and get branded drinks, pool and beach towels provided, mini bar in room and a Turkish bath, plus the choice of a la carte restaurants? Nowhere I suspect.

You have to be prepared to look into the hotels you have shortlisted as some kind of military campaign, no good just looking at wonderful pictures of sun soaked beaches, everything looks fantastic when we have been starved of sunshine for months, and feeling particularly pasty skinned.....!!!! get advice from sites such as this, check out reviews, listen to what guests have to say, it's ok someone going on and on about one hotel they have fallen in love with, but it may not be suitable for you............one mans meat blah blah blah, but very true. A hotel with lots of facilities for children and teenagers may not be what a couple wants, so, think about it.

There are always bargains to be found, although I must admit we haven't had many, some say the earlier you book you get them, others say the opposite........ luck of the draw I suspect.

All Inclusive is a bone of contention with lots of people on all the forum sites, some have choking fits if you mention them, some tell you to steer clear of them, even though they have never stayed in one!!!!!!!!!seems odd, but very true, and others like me, believe that if you do your homework, and look at the amazing AI hotels on offer, especially in the Belek, Beldibi and Side areas of Antalya, Torba, Turgutreis and Gumbet areas of Bodrum, and Fethiye and Olu Deniz in Dalaman Region, then you will find some amazing wonderful exclusive and very very high quality AI hotels, true, you will pay more than you probably wanted to, but if that means you have to stay in the hotel grounds for the duration of your holiday, then that is no hardship, it isn't hard lying on a sunbed sipping a cocktail and having someone bring you a refil, kids in a good quality club while mummy and daddy catch some Zzzzzzzzzzzz's..............sound good?????????????????????

You can get the AI hotels at bargain prices, and some can be ok, they can be used as bases for a good holiday, and somewhere for the kids to have their fill of soft drinks, and play in the pool, and if you haven't paid a lot, then you still have money to go into the town or surrounding areas to sample the wonderful food that is on offer, and if done properly this way can work to your advantage, Kids have their drinks and pool time, and soft drinks are the things that kids want all the time, and this is where the pennies dwindle............

My advice after this rather long post would be, if what you want is luxury, pampering and excellent service, be prepared to spend more than you thought, if a bargain comes your way, check it out, make sure you get the holiday you want.
No one does high quality AI like the Turks, but, as with anything, the bad ones are there just waiting to take your money and leave you with a bad taste in your mouth, quite literally.

Turkey is a wonderful, beautiful country, but, as with anything and everything take your time, and May the Force Be With You.

Happy hunting.
I'm afraid until Camelot pick my numbers, UAI is out of our reach.

£631 AI for two weeks July/August (exc transfers) :)

And yes I hae done my research :rofl

John
I think you have more money than us , Triflebum.

Our AI costs us less than £20 per day.
Hiya All

It's not about money, that's not what I am saying.....................It is about being happy within your holiday and getting what you have paid for.

It has been reported time and time again on all the forums that people pay for 5* AI for little money, and then when they get there find that their 5* holiday is a hell hole, and that is what AI is NOT about.

I have said time and time again that if research is done and the holiday maker is happy with what they have got for their money then there is no problem, is there? but, as with a lot of cases, people pay a bargain price, expect the trimmings, then come home and diss the whole AI concept, and that is what I am trying to get people to fathom..................

I have the same amount of money as everyone else, not a lottery winner, and certainly no roller in the drive,..........(push bike) but we love our holidays, and we prefer to spend a little bit more to get the holiday we have worked all year for..........................if everyone was happy with what they had got, then, there would be no need for discussion forums.

As with everything I write, I always want people to enjoy their holidays, and I feel quite upset if people have been let down, and that is what my last post was saying, be careful, do your homework, and job's a good un.

That is AI from my perspective, it is not written in stone, it is just a little bit of advice that I hope will help. If people are happy with what they have found...then, like I always say. Party On People.

Take Care, and Happy Holidays.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.