Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
You don't have to eat out every night. We've just had 2 weeks away and decided to eat in most nights. There were 5 of us and we ate loads of fresh veg and fruit and the lovely Turkish bread. We bought fresh fish and baked it, made chicken caseroles, omelettes and had kofte. It was all simple stuff that didn't involve much preparation. We ate out a couple of times and also went to a cheap pide lokanta - 7 lira each for pide a salad and bread and a drink. After eating we went for a stroll around like the Turkish families do and sometimes stopped at a bar for a drink. We spent about the same on all that as we do for our shopping in UK. I took tea bags and coffee with me along with a can of baked beans in everyones case for a jacket potato night although i suppose it depends on what your cooking facilities are like. Put a cool bag in your case and then you can make sandwiches for picnic lunches. As it was hot we weren't really all that hungry. I also didn't feel as though I had missed out on anything. We all mucked in with washing up etc. For trips why not try going somewhere on a Dolmus. They are quite reasonably priced and good fun. It really isn't necessary to do trips though if you are in a beautiful place with a nice beach why go off somewhere else? Use your legs and explore the place you are staying in.
Although we've been 5 times to various places in Turkey I've never actually gone to a Lokanta, havent had the Turkish Pide either and do love their food.

We're going to Icmeler again, where's the best / cheapest place to try the Pide, because if you go to normal restaurant they tend to have normal Pizza which are usually lovely.

JMK we do that buy couple of fresh loaves every day and get the gorgeous tomato's and melons for nibbling on during the day and eggs. The sliced Bimbo sort of bread leaves a lot to be desired but its ok for making toasties.
We did lots of lazyday boat trips last month,£8 each,thats your breakfast,lunch and all your drinks sorted for the day,just dont buy icecreams they are expensive at 5 lira each,that was on Memories Romeo boat,excellent value.
Sorry not the weak link 2. I don't know about eating places in Icmeler. However if you want to do it on the cheap nip round to some back streets and just look to see where all the Turks are eating. If it's full of Turks it'll probably be ok. You can always check the menu before you sit down and they usually have a list on the wall. Expect to pay about 3-5 lira for a mixed pide. As I said we were paying 7 for a mixed pide a salad and a drink with free bread. They are quite big and if there are 2 of you with a small child just order 2 and an extra plate. Another place for good value food are the farmers kitchens where they have large pots of things to choose from, we always call them pot shops. It's typical Turkish food. You won't find them beach or harbour side though so none of the frills of the more expensive places but they are very Turkish and usually very clean, so if you are on a budget - just the job.
we are just back and took £1100 for 4 for 2 weeks didn't do any trips but i came back with £36
Well done suzieg. Come on then spill the beans, did you have a good time and what kinds of things did you eat and where?
personally i cant see the point in going on holiday if you got to watch every lira you spend
We go allinclusive now but the last time we went away half board was 6 years ago and we spent about £900 on drinks and ice creams alone

when you think a drinks about £3 in a hotel and even a coke is about £2
We had to stay in the hotel of an evening cos the kids had made friends and didnt want to leave
kirky - whilst usually I would agree with you, it is slightly different in this case. The original poster has limited finances due to unforseen bills. So the choice is cancel the holiday, or make do as best she can on less money.

I know which I would rather do.
Kirky I understand what you mean and good for you if you have plenty of cash to splash, but the first poster was asking if it could be done on a budget as otherwise she might have to cancel. It is possible and you can have a great time on what she had available. We don't watch every lira and have fun but we don't actually get through that much in Turkey. I'm sure I could if I stuffed myself with icecream and got drunk every night on cocktails, went shopping for gold and the like but I've done all that and don't need it to have a good time. I hope the first poster goes on her holiday and has a great time on what she has available.
Kirky, while i respect your views, most people do go on holiday on a budget and do have to count every Lira they are spending, like myself im a single parent family, i work hard all year to take myself and 3 kiddies on holiday, and while we do go away to enjoy ourselves, we know we only have a certain amount of money to spend, so personally i have found this thread to be very interesting and helpful! :cheers
I'm really glad this is a useful thread for some. I'm really lucky as I have a pass from him who must be obeyed and am nipping back to Turkey for a little sneaky extra week in a couple of weeks time for a girls week. Now we will have a ball. There will be a lot of lounging on the beach with a book, quite a bit of dining out at night in restaurants carefully selected for good value, simple lunches at home or as a picnic, a trip to the beautician, if it's not too hot some beautiful walks (possibly at 7 am before it gets too hot) and a boat trip. This time there will be no hire car and we will use our legs and buses. I know from previous experience my spending money will be less than £200 for the week and I'll come home happy.
we ate out most nights little britain,penguin bar i also cooked twice got a whole chicken from the supermarket already cooked and wrapped in nan bread had that with pasta all for £5 breakfast i took packets of cereal with me lunchtime we had the amazing turkish crusty bread with cold meat etc ate better than we do at home lol

suzieg
We've actually managed to raise a few extra hundred, we should have about £900 for the fortnight now, whilst it would be lovely to splash the cash without a second thought- unfortunately I think most familys have to budget now, be it here or in the sun, I for one know where I would rather be on a budget and it aint here.... :D
Lots of fab ideas from everyone- much appreciated.
Have a great time - you'll be fine with that. Don't forget about the £10 each visa charge. You'll also be better off changing most of your money out there, the exchange rate is usually better although shop around and be careful.
Thats great Helen, hope you have a brilliant holiday!

when is it you are going? please let us know how it went, and any hints or tips from you would be great! :cheers
You made my day Helen knowing you have a little more in your pocket. We also have to budget very strictly but have been given £2500.00 spend from my cousin. As this was unexpected it's even more of a bonus, but i would have done the same as you if one of my pets was ill. Enjoy, it's what you make of it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.