Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Turkish Icecream
14 Posts
I must admit I have never seen it anywhere here.
Ah well. I'll just have to get my fix when we go back in May. Coconut icecream. Nomnomnom!
I think you might mean Baked Alaska maybe? :think
No it's not baked alaska. Just regular Carte D'or icecream sold in a cone :) Apparently it has some kind of orchid root in it which gives it it's texture. It is also more resistent to melting!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dondurma
Cherry is my favourite, I also love the blackberry and the raspberry. Ooh and lemon - yum :)

The Carte D'or stuff isn't the really sticky one though, that is the one they sell from the littel metal boxes, usually just vanilla or chocolate and they play tricks with the cones as it sticks in them. That is what you can see in the link on dondurma. I like both types ;)
The carte d'or we had from a stall was definitely different to English icecream - quite chewy! Delicious it was too! But it may not been *as* different as the stuff on that link. Anyway, I loved it!
Hi Gooorooo,

I'm sure the Carte D'or ice cream in Turkey is the same as what we can buy in the UK. I lived in Turkey for two years and used to buy tubs of Carte D'or occasionally from Migros, and it was nothing like Turkish ice cream. I remember they did a lovely Carte D'or with forest fruits - it was gorgeous - but I've never seen that one in England, although I usually buy Haagan Daz or Green & Blacks when I want to indulge in ice cream.

I found the Turkish ice cream quite tasteless to be honest, though the chewy texture did make it different. If you really crave some you might find it in some Turkish supermarkets in the UK, though I'd say your chances are slim on that. Or what you could do is melt a packet of marshmallows mixed with a drop of water (melt them in a bowl on top of a saucepan of simmering water) and add a couple of real Turkish Delight until you get a gooey mix; them put it in a mixer with a tub of good quality ice cream and re-freeze. It won't be identical to Turkish ice cream, but it should give you a chewy texture.

By the way, if they were selling chewy ice cream in Carte D'or tins, it sounds like they were just transferring their local ice cream into branded tins.

Hope that helps.

Strawberry
Hi all :wave: After a visit to the nurse to get our Jabs she also told us to not eat the icecream and just to eat the pre packed ones. Does anyone know why we have been advised this? Is the cream not treated or something? Also has anyone had any problems after eating it? After reading this tread it doesnt seem so lol. I could understand if she said lolly ice's because they could use tap water but icecream......Why? I suppose i should have asked her at the time but i was just so flabbergasted because we are going AI for the first time and i know my boys were really looking forward to having it on tap lol. I have an appointment for a follow up needle so if no-one knows then i will ask her and post what she tells me. Thanks :tup
alsbaby,

There's often a lot of advice on do's and don't in foreign countries. Most advice on health is based on lower or unknown standards of hygiene. With ice cream, you need to make sure the scoop is clean and not left in the sun etc for bacteria to multiply when getting it from outside the hotel. As long as the ice cream is chilled and the scoop is cleaned between servings, you should be fine. Turkish ice cream is lovely so it would be a shame to miss out! In a hotel, that can sometimes be the source of bugs with many hands using the scoops and you don't know if it's been cleaned between servings so you need to be wary.

Darren
Well I have been eating ice cream in Turkey for years and have never had a problem, I have never heard of any advice against it either. I wouldn't worry, your kids will be very upset if they can't have any, it's delicious
The only time I have ever been ill abroad was in 1994 after eating an ice cream from a street seller in Alanya.
He was transferring the ice cream from cone to cone on the end of a long stick.
I have eaten ice cream since from the vendors along the beach fronts with no ill effects. :tup
Thanks for the replies guys. I will do as advised and just keep my eye out. Bring on the icecream :tongue
Some health warnings are because a lot of the milk is not pasteurised ,also there can be problems with the power supply ,if there is an over night power cut and the fridges and freezers in the shops and markets shut down then the ice cream and lollies melt ,instead of throwing the melted stuff away some just let it re freeze when the power comes back on and that is not good for you.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.