Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi Lucy - I make a filling of sweet cream cheese and when baked pour over a honey syrup. I have a recipe somewhere - I will dig it out and post for you. You can also use it to wrap large prawns and deep fry them - served with sweet chilli dipping sauce they make a great snack with a glass of wine.
Lucy - this is the 'official' recipe I have

500g Shredded Kadayif
400g Dil Cheese
100g Melted Butter

Syrup
1.5 cups Sugar
1 cup Water
1 tsp Lemon Juice

Boil sugar and water for about 15 mins until it forms a thin syrup. Add lemon juice and set aside.
Grease a 25cm cake tin and pour in 6 tbs of the syrup. Spread it over the bottom of the tin.
Mix the pastry with the melted butter until well distributed and arrange half in the tin - press down well. Slice the cheese and arrange over the kadayif. Put the remainder of the kadayif on top smoothing and pressing the surface.
Bake at 100c until the top is golden then turn and cook until the bottom is golden.
Remove from the oven and pour over the remaining syrup.
Serve hot.

I have never found 'dil cheese' (a mild saltless yellow cheese which becomes stretchy when melted) so I use a cream cheese to which I add a small amount of sugar (to taste). Also I sometimes make small rolls instead of baking a large one as I find it easier to serve especially at a dinner party.

Hope this helps.

Prawn
Thank you for your ideas - the only thing that's puzzling me is that the 'flan' thing i've bought is made from clumps of dried pastry - looks alot like cooked, dry shredded wheat. I don't think I'll be able to stuff it with anything - maybe just pour some kind of mixture over it, what do you think?
Lucy :)
Sorry Lucy - should have said that what I do is spread it out into a 'sort of' layer then spread the filling over it and roll up like a swiss roll. I buy mine frozen from my local asian supermarket.
Ok - thanks very much - I'll have a go & see how it turns out!
Lucy x
Good luck - let me know how you get on.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.